Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ Oil Analysis and Info

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uf20wop
just got one done, Mobil1 5W30...looks really good.

It looks good! I am wondering though, is this Mobil 1 5W-30 a syntetic oil?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
usgpru27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have reviewed this thread and I have not seen any talk of Brad Penn oils? Does anyone have any thoughts or test results.. This is a very highly regarded oil in racing circles. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 AM
uf20wop

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
It looks good! I am wondering though, is this Mobil 1 5W-30 a syntetic oil?
yep M1 5W-30 is synthetic

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...bil1_5W-30.asp
Old 01-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Here's another UOA on Valvoline 10w-30 Dura Blend while using Amsoil's oil and air filter.

Glycol number still present. Hopefully some kind of weird add pack as on first UOA with same oil.

Pleased with improved numbers and low fuel dilute on this revup VQ replacement.

Next UOA will be Valvoline 5w-30 SynPower. Taking that to a 5K duration.
It'll be interesting to see if that glycol number disappears with SynPower formula.
-edit- scratch that...found out SynPower has same add-pack

Resolute- comment at your convenience. Thanks.
Thanks for sharing your UOA with everyone. I've been gone awhile, so this comes a bit late, but for everyone who checks this out later on, I would first notice how low the wear metals are for a V2 with low miles. Your engine is breaking in very well and looks very good. Only 2ppm of Lead, no chromium wear, low Al.. the pistons, rings and bearings all look very good. Iron is lower than average. Only Copper stands out, and it's below normal for an engine still in break-in. Otherwise, this could just as well be a seasoned engine with no issues. Very nice.

The sodium is a bit high, nothing alarming, just odd. I wonder if it is an additive in the Valvoline oils, but you do have some glycol in the oil as well.. so it will be interesting to see what happens to those two numbers when you change oils. Karl Fisher shows low moisture in the oil, and low fuel dilution in this sample as well.

Viscosity is a bit low since the oil sheared a bit with use. 9.7cSt is about as low as I'd ever be comfortable with. Stribeck curves make me get nervous with thin oils in a shear-happy engine like the VQ. It will be interesting to see how the SynPower holds up.

Looks good!

Will
Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Will, here is the 4th oil change on the freshly built 06 Rev-up. It’s the 2nd oil change interval with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

Data on the 2006 350Z freshly rebuilt engine.

Area: Curtis
Unit: 479
Nissan 2006 350Z manual transmission.
Engine: 3.5 L V-6 VQ35 300hp Rev-Up
Fuel: Shell V-Power 91 octane
Fuel additives: Yes
Air Filter: Amsoil EaA paper air filter.
Recent repairs: Swapped out OEM plugs with 35,859 miles on them for new Pulstar Plugs. (the original plugs were used with the engine swap, hence the 35k miles on them)
Mods: Nissan’ Nismo CAI and Catback exhaust system.
Driving habits: Daily driving, no track or autox. A few gradual romps up to 75% of redline. For the most part, no revs above 4000. 40/60 freeway/street.
Never overheats
Date of oil change: 11/10/08
Oil Type: Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30
Oil Filter: Amsoil Ea0
Miles on oil change interval: 3989 mi
Mileage on engine: 15,249 mi
Oil changed on regular intervals at 3750 mi.
Oil added on this interval = Zero
Oil loss = 0mm ZERO

On this oil change dated 11/10/08 the oil was swapped out for the SAME brand/weight: Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and Amsoil Ea0 oil filter.

Follow up on the monitoring of coolant level: Zero loss at over flow reservoir.

Cheers
Curtis
Curtis, Hi!

Thanks for the UOA. It looks better in terms of wear. Iron and Copper have stabilized at 10ppm, while the rest of your metals have all dropped to 3ppm or less. I would still like to see 0ppm of chromium, though, given the fuel dilution amount.

Fuel dilution spiked back up this sample, which lowered your flash point of the oil. Surprisingly, it stayed in grade, though. I think PP handles fuel dilution quite well.

The moly raised in this sample, which was unexpected since you're using the same oil as last time. Maybe PP changed their formula slightly to include more moly, maybe the change is within a standard deviation. I don't know, but it is interesting.

Overall, it looks good and I'm sure you're glad not to be burning any oil off. Looks like another good V2 engine!

Will
Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by uf20wop
just got one done, Mobil1 5W30...looks really good.
It does look good. Iron was the highest wear metal, and that is normal with Mobil1 oils. Copper, Lead, Al... etc wear all below the average results seen in this thread with M1. The oil is in grade and performing well. I'll add it to the comparison charts on the first page, thanks for sharing!

Will
Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Biochem7
Here are my results from a recent Blackstone oil analysis:

2005 Nissan 350Z
Vortech 3.12 pulley
Earls oil cooler

Mobil 1 OW-40
OEM Filter
AEM Dryflo air filter

Oil was used for 2,824 miles.
Another oil sample that makes me think M1 0W-40 is the best of the M1 formulations. There is nothing to indicate that your engine is under anymore stress than stock with this oil sample. ZERO bearing and piston ring wear, low Al and copper wear metals, and low Fe wear for a M1 sample. It's a very thick 30 weight, which is normal for this blend, and no contamination of oil or moisture to be worried about. You could easily go longer between oil changes if you wanted to.

Will
Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Thinkdiesel
Been using Mobil1 5w-30 since 1K and switched to ELF recently. Really want to do a UOA for the ELF 5W-30. Guess Nissan been carrying it for awhile

Anyone have experience with this oil?
No UOA's here with any of the Elf blends. Nissan worked with Elf after the Renault merger to develop a 5W-30 for their engines, but I don't know whatever came of that. It was supposed to be for motorsports use, but then Nissan contracted with Motul, another french oil company, instead.

Elf makes a good product, and their high-end oils are a PAO base stock. I can't say if it's worth the extra money, though, when there are off the shelf oils for much less which show great results in the VQ.

Originally Posted by usgpru27
I have reviewed this thread and I have not seen any talk of Brad Penn oils? Does anyone have any thoughts or test results.. This is a very highly regarded oil in racing circles. Thanks.
Are you racing? Taking it to the track once in a while is not racing, either. If you have a race car and are competing in it, then maybe look into it. Otherwise, you could use it and get a UOA to see how it performs for your use and conditions, but all of the racing oils that have been tested so far do not perform the best in dual purpose or daily driven VQ engines. Shushiakary's tests with Motul 300 come to mind as a good example.

Will
Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Nismospeed4life

Will,

Since I a still breaking-in my V2 DE NA engine, At which point will it be safe to start using synthetic oils such as M1 0W-40?

~ Nismo
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Resolute
Thanks for sharing your UOA with everyone. I've been gone awhile, so this comes a bit late, but for everyone who checks this out later on, I would first notice how low the wear metals are for a V2 with low miles. Your engine is breaking in very well and looks very good. Only 2ppm of Lead, no chromium wear, low Al.. the pistons, rings and bearings all look very good. Iron is lower than average. Only Copper stands out, and it's below normal for an engine still in break-in. Otherwise, this could just as well be a seasoned engine with no issues. Very nice.

The sodium is a bit high, nothing alarming, just odd. I wonder if it is an additive in the Valvoline oils, but you do have some glycol in the oil as well.. so it will be interesting to see what happens to those two numbers when you change oils. Karl Fisher shows low moisture in the oil, and low fuel dilution in this sample as well.

Viscosity is a bit low since the oil sheared a bit with use. 9.7cSt is about as low as I'd ever be comfortable with. Stribeck curves make me get nervous with thin oils in a shear-happy engine like the VQ. It will be interesting to see how the SynPower holds up.

Looks good!

Will
Thanks Will...understand about the late response with all the holidays, etc. Happy New Years btw...

More spirited driving in that duration, shearing showed that if I'm thinking correctly. Couldn't be fuel dilute that sheared the DuraBlend, again in my thinking due to that low number. Seems to be a good build and I'm pleased, though I'm confused why I had an increase in OC that I didn't mention before. Consumed little over 2/3qt in 2700mi this time Drat!! I'm concerned.

I'm in hopes of seeing other UOA's here with Valvoline to confirm weird add-pack and/or same glycol/sodium numbers like mine.

Thanks for your input and comments.

See you in 5K on 5w-30 SynPower...

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-03-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Changed OC to actual amount consumed
Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Resolute

ZeeForce and 06CPV35 are both using synthetic now on their V2's. I think it's safe to say you can switch over anytime you'd like without worry.

Will
Old 01-03-2009, 01:55 PM
usgpru27

Are you racing? Taking it to the track once in a while is not racing, either. If you have a race car and are competing in it, then maybe look into it. Otherwise, you could use it and get a UOA to see how it performs for your use and conditions, but all of the racing oils that have been tested so far do not perform the best in dual purpose or daily driven VQ engines. Shushiakary's tests with Motul 300 come to mind as a good example.

Will[/QUOTE]

Will, Thank you for such great information.. I only have 1800 miles on my Nismo and changed oil at 1600 to Castrol GTX 5w-30 with a Pure One Filter. I plan on sending out a sample at the 3750 mile change and posting the results for your analysis.. Thank you for your time. Makes for a lot of piece of mind.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
uf20wop

based on all the UOA on the first page, castrol syntec 5w-30 (if i can't find GC) looks like one of the best bangs for the buck... am i correct in assuming that?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Roguewolf

hey, i've been reading this thread for what seems like... forever lol and i keep hearing m1, amsoil, tso etc etc just way too much info. I just had a question; i am currently using RP 5w-30 and well i was under the impression it was pretty good but now according the info ... it's not im approaching my next oil change and im on the east coast (Virginia) so weather doesn't really get too crazy not burning hot/freezing cold. I was wondering what would be a good recommendation? a good blend of engine protections without sacrificing performance.

thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM
ZeeForce

Curtis, Hi!

Thanks for the UOA. It looks better in terms of wear. Iron and Copper have stabilized at 10ppm, while the rest of your metals have all dropped to 3ppm or less. I would still like to see 0ppm of chromium, though, given the fuel dilution amount.

Fuel dilution spiked back up this sample, which lowered your flash point of the oil. Surprisingly, it stayed in grade, though. I think PP handles fuel dilution quite well.

The moly raised in this sample, which was unexpected since you're using the same oil as last time. Maybe PP changed their formula slightly to include more moly, maybe the change is within a standard deviation. I don't know, but it is interesting.

Overall, it looks good and I'm sure you're glad not to be burning any oil off. Looks like another good V2 engine!

Will
Will, thanks for all your time making commentaries for my UOA's on both Z's. Very much appreciated!

I think the oil consumption reading was a false reading taken by my brother, as I am down 5mm with only 2500 miles into the current oil change interaval. Still good in terms of OC.

Unitl next time!
Cheers
Curtis
Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Nederlander75

Default M1 0w40, 06 Alti SER

Here's the latest. Car run from late July and durning the coldest CO weather in 08,25ml communtes one way and about 6 trips per weekend maybe mls ea, short trips from the gym too. Redline a few times a week, some speeds at 125+, commute takes about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Garaged at night. Amsoil air filter, M1 oil. Shell 91. Previous fills in decending order are GC with Ams oil fllter and OEM air, RP 5w30 with K&N oil and OEM air, and M1 EP 5w30 with M1 oil filter and OEM paper.

Thanks and enjoy,
Ted
Attached Files
Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
ipodhustle

anyone use the Mobil High Mileage yet?

ACEA A3

many on other forums have reported it being a stout oil and what not.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Nederlander75
Here's the latest. Car run from late July and durning the coldest CO weather in 08,25ml communtes one way and about 6 trips per weekend maybe mls ea, short trips from the gym too. Redline a few times a week, some speeds at 125+, commute takes about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Garaged at night. Amsoil air filter, M1 oil. Shell 91. Previous fills in decending order are GC with Ams oil fllter and OEM air, RP 5w30 with K&N oil and OEM air, and M1 EP 5w30 with M1 oil filter and OEM paper.

Thanks and enjoy,
Ted
Copper and Lead are at the lowest levels yet, Iron is right where you'd expect for an M1 formulation, Al and Chromium are both low, TBN is high, and it's a thick 30 weight like every other sample of M1 0W-40. I'd say it looks really good. Hard to compare it against the GC since the GC was in for longer, but the low Pb wear is a nice improvement.

Will
Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Nederlander75

Copper and Lead are at the lowest levels yet, Iron is right where you'd expect for an M1 formulation, Al and Chromium are both low, TBN is high, and it's a thick 30 weight like every other sample of M1 0W-40. I'd say it looks really good. Hard to compare it against the GC since the GC was in for longer, but the low Pb wear is a nice improvement.

Will

Thanks Wil!. I have some more M1 0w40 in now and will run it longer to get an even comp between the GC and M1. Car does appear to prefer the M1 with regard to output and lack of vibration, though those are fairly ambiguous indications. I am also running the Ams air filter with Ams oil filter this time to check filtration. I will note that since the Ams oil filter went on I have on very cold mornings gotten a ticking from the cam area until about 15 minutes of operation. Not much an issue now with temps staying above 20F for the most part.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Post My Report...

Vehicle: '03 350Z Touring
Mods: JWT 700BB Twin Turbo, UTEC Tune, Cosworth Plenum, 750cc Injectors, APS 2.5" TP, Stillen TD Exhaust, Koyo 2-1/16" Core, and more...
Oil: Mobil 1 10w/30
Miles on Oil: 6000ish
Miles on Vehicle when Tested: 46,5ish

Originally Posted by BlackStone Laboratories
Universal averages show typical wear levels from this type of engine after ~4500miles on the oil. Wear was low and well balance. 2.5% fuel is in our potential problem range, thought it's probably the result of idling or driving around town. The fuel likely thinned the viscosity, it didn't affect wear. The TBN was 4.4 (1.0 is low); lots of active additive remained. the high sodium may show coolant in the oil since Mobil 1 doesn't use it as an additive. Other types of oil, including other Mobil oils, do use it thought. Monitor coolant levels and resample to monitor.
Attached Thumbnails VQ Oil Analysis and Info-01-10-09-scan.jpg  

Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info