Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Kinetix V+ rubbing hood...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:53 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinetix V+ rubbing hood...

Poped the hood today after having my V+ plenum installed for a few days, and i noticed a small bare metal spot on one of the "braces" under the hood. And a corresponding orange smudge towards the driver's side of the plenum. It seems to only rub when the engine torques, cause i can't feel any vibration when i feel the hood at idle. But when i rev it at idle, i can see the hood move slightly. I'm not too concerned cause it hasn't left any marks on the outside of the hood. But now that i know it's there, i was wondering if theres an easy fix to this, or just deal with it? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:20 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My V+ has done the same thing (on both the stock hood and my Vis CF hood) for about 20,000 miles now. Eventually, it stopped after rubbing maybe 1/32 of an inch off the plenum. It will "self clearance" if you know what I mean, lol.

You may want to install an engine torque damper. But otherwise, dont sweat it.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:28 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
My V+ has done the same thing (on both the stock hood and my Vis CF hood) for about 20,000 miles now. Eventually, it stopped after rubbing maybe 1/32 of an inch off the plenum. It will "self clearance" if you know what I mean, lol.

You may want to install an engine torque damper. But otherwise, dont sweat it.
Thanks man!! I was thinking the same, as far as "self clearance" goes. I guess that's another good thing about having a plastic plenum. I guess we definatly know they utilized every millimeter of underhood space for the plenum!!
Old 04-21-2007, 06:08 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I kinda figured it would self-clearance after a while, as the plastic appeared to have work down a bit. No worries. Funny thing is, it's the raised design in the top of the plenum that's rubbing, not the top dome of the plenum itself. You'd think they could have shaved a bit off there, so that wouldn't be an issue...

I have a TQ dampener, BTW. Also have the Stillen master cylinder brace. FYI, the strut bar spacers make the bolt that secures the master cylinder brace too short (the nut is fine), so a longer one is needed.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:15 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Yeah, I kinda figured it would self-clearance after a while, as the plastic appeared to have work down a bit. No worries. Funny thing is, it's the raised design in the top of the plenum that's rubbing, not the top dome of the plenum itself. You'd think they could have shaved a bit off there, so that wouldn't be an issue...

I have a TQ dampener, BTW. Also have the Stillen master cylinder brace. FYI, the strut bar spacers make the bolt that secures the master cylinder brace too short (the nut is fine), so a longer one is needed.
Great info thanks!