Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

flywheel issues/debate PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 PM
icedoutis
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flywheel issues/debate PLEASE HELP

well, I had my heart set on a JUN flywheel, ordered my twins and everything, then was told that the part will take 3-4 weeks to get in. Was told that I needed a chromoly flywheel and not aluminum, researched and found that I liked the JUN the best. I guess is now that I can't have the flywheel in time for the install, what is the next best tihing? The shop is recommending the ACT prolite since im gonna be running the ACT 6 puck clutch. Any recommendations, comments, input would be greatly appreciated since I have to tell them soon so that I can get the part here in time.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:51 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

had i been you in the first place i would have ran RPS mAX 6puck clutch + flywheel combo

Not sure if the ACT 6puck is compatible with the JUN fly
Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard bad things about the ACT products, noisey and do not match up well with other products I suggest you wait for your flywheel and do it right the first time. Speedy installs do to anxious modders usually ends up biting you later down the road. Do it right this time, and it will probably be the last time.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:28 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dont look 4 the next best thing just wait. Your stock clutch will do ok for a bit. I have RPS and no plenty of FI guys that run RPS and they love it.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 PM
icedoutis
Banned

why is it that everyone always says to go with chromoly flywheel over the aluminum then? just the strength factor? ACT is the same weight as the JUN one, both chromoly. RPS is aluminum. Also heard while looking at these that their clutch/flywheel combo was excellent, and was told to not go with the JWT. Should have around 460-470 rwhp with my build. Thanks for the info thus far.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a new UR flywheel for sale...
Old 08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, lets dispell some of the BS that's already present in this thread that is only 4 posts long

1. the JUN flywheel is nice, but certainly nothing special - the ACT flywheels are also 1 piece billet chromoly, just like JUN, and readily available. Same goes for the NISMO unit

2. the ACT clutches will work with ANY of the aftermarket flywheels.

HondaKiller
3. you "heard" ACT is "not good" - this is exactly the type of post you should never make. Do some research, look through the threads by the hundreds of people running the ACT product on their Z and G before you cast such a wide net such as "I heard". I "heard" the Borla headers are junk...wait a second, they are.

4. Aluminum vs Chromoly - personal preference largely, but, generally speaking the one piece flywheels (ACT, JUN, NISMO) tend to be lighter than the 2 piece ones (JWT/Fidanza (they are the same), etc. Also, 2 piece flywheels do run the risk of coming apart at some point, as the friction plate is rivted into the main flywheel structure. Should that happen? No. Does it happen? Yes, rarely, but yes. I've personally witnessed it happen at more than one track event and for my own car, I'd always opt for a 1 piece unit. At the end of the day though, it's the buyers choice of course.

The ACT 6 puck sprung clutch happens to be an awesome unit for these cars, very very easy to drive, holds gobs of torque, and is very affordable. Their flywheel also happens to be among the quietest out there, which is a nice added bonus, and is a great value/$. RPS stuff is also good I am sure (no experience first hand), and I know the Clutchmasters is also a popular choice for the Z's as well (I've used it, flywheels get sorta loud and the clutch is a bit heavier feeling than the ACT, but all in all, nice units too)
Old 08-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Crom

ACT clutch and flywheel is a nice combo....but the clutch sometimes takes a bit to warm up....
Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

there is no "warming" up - it's an organic disk, just like OEM, so works hot or cold

carbon clutches on the other like, like Carbonetics/ATS, do need some warming up before they will hold full torque
Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Crom

ACT...ATS - it was one of those two.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
icedoutis
Banned

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
First, lets dispell some of the BS that's already present in this thread that is only 4 posts long

1. the JUN flywheel is nice, but certainly nothing special - the ACT flywheels are also 1 piece billet chromoly, just like JUN, and readily available. Same goes for the NISMO unit

2. the ACT clutches will work with ANY of the aftermarket flywheels.

HondaKiller
3. you "heard" ACT is "not good" - this is exactly the type of post you should never make. Do some research, look through the threads by the hundreds of people running the ACT product on their Z and G before you cast such a wide net such as "I heard". I "heard" the Borla headers are junk...wait a second, they are.

4. Aluminum vs Chromoly - personal preference largely, but, generally speaking the one piece flywheels (ACT, JUN, NISMO) tend to be lighter than the 2 piece ones (JWT/Fidanza (they are the same), etc. Also, 2 piece flywheels do run the risk of coming apart at some point, as the friction plate is rivted into the main flywheel structure. Should that happen? No. Does it happen? Yes, rarely, but yes. I've personally witnessed it happen at more than one track event and for my own car, I'd always opt for a 1 piece unit. At the end of the day though, it's the buyers choice of course.

The ACT 6 puck sprung clutch happens to be an awesome unit for these cars, very very easy to drive, holds gobs of torque, and is very affordable. Their flywheel also happens to be among the quietest out there, which is a nice added bonus, and is a great value/$. RPS stuff is also good I am sure (no experience first hand), and I know the Clutchmasters is also a popular choice for the Z's as well (I've used it, flywheels get sorta loud and the clutch is a bit heavier feeling than the ACT, but all in all, nice units too)

thanks for the input, makes me feel better now about the ACT combo. Will probably go that route.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crom
ACT...ATS - it was one of those two.

big differences between the two....
Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 PM
VTS

I got the ACT prolite flywheel and I love it. It actually makes less noise than my stock flywheel did.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 PM
icedoutis
Banned

ok, ordered it all up, thanks for the input all. Ended up with the act prolite/6puck clutch combo
Old 08-21-2007, 02:18 PM
iamdigital

So a lot of info on clutches here and I was just about to create a clutch poll. a lot of people say go with the multi disk clutches but they get into the 2-3K range others say 6 puck will handle the torque but kills yur knees.. for 500HP i would like to see what people are doing.

Edit: Went ahead and built the poll. I'd like to see a big group of peoples opinions on this subject.

Last edited by iamdigital; 08-21-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Crom

I got a jwt and mine holds just fine....just like stock except for the engagement point.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:04 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by iamdigital
. for 500HP i would like to see what people are doing.

rps max 6-puck with fly combo