Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

question about jetcoating

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about jetcoating

What are the benefits of jetcoating your headers? Also is that the only thing that usually gets it, or are there other parts people jetcoat? Trying to get as much info before I make a purchase & install.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do some research you'll find that thermal coatings drastically reduce the temps on the parts that are coated. I have my headers done and I can tell you that my tranny tunnel stays much cooler to the touch now than with the stock headers.

The only other parts you might want to consider coating, would be test pipes, or HFC's. If your FI of course you can more pipes done.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

search for "jet" and "coat" using the boolean logic function. Lots of issues to consider...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:33 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pony_killer
What are the benefits of jetcoating your headers? Also is that the only thing that usually gets it, or are there other parts people jetcoat? Trying to get as much info before I make a purchase & install.
there is no need to spend extra money for jet coat anymore,eastwood now sells do it yourself kits,so go nuts and be our guinea pig on what works.if you cut engine bay temps it's worth hp.most interesting to me would be intake.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no way you can coat headers inside and out yourself and expect them to hold up as well as jet-hot coated headers. Go to their website and look at their options and explanations.

I had my nismo headers coated by jet-hot, and it was well worth it.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
There's no way you can coat headers inside and out yourself and expect them to hold up as well as jet-hot coated headers. Go to their website and look at their options and explanations.

I had my nismo headers coated by jet-hot, and it was well worth it.
why not? are you saying that eastwood's ceramic coating is poor quality?or are you saying that you are incapable of properly applying it?if maybe you tried it and had a bad result,maybe i would give your opinion some credence but .....reading and paying are way different from doing and testing.perhaps you can explain the losses experienced from eastwoods product compared to jet-hot other than those felt in your wallet!!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Snow-G

I believe coating various pieces can have a noticeable impact. I've had my manifolds coated along with my turbo housings. The gauge from inside the car has dropped a whole notch(dont know actual temp). Coating has been done for quite some time now and there are plenty of companies out there to choose from. Me personally...the next time I have anything coated Im going to "Swain Tech". There are also various kinds of coatings from slippery surfaces for bearings to manifold or exhaust pieces to keep the hot gases in the piping instead of radiating back to the engine bay. Check out http://www.swaintech.com/ there site explains the benefits better than I.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 AM
Snow-G

Originally Posted by go-fast
there is no need to spend extra money for jet coat anymore,eastwood now sells do it yourself kits,so go nuts and be our guinea pig on what works.if you cut engine bay temps it's worth hp.most interesting to me would be intake.
I like the do it yourself attitude, but for me I think the price is well worth sending out knowing it will be done right. I have painted a boat trailer myself, but I'm not about to do the boat. "Know what I mean Vern". Have you done the eastwood? If so what parts/equipment do you need?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Snow-G
I like the do it yourself attitude, but for me I think the price is well worth sending out knowing it will be done right. I have painted a boat trailer myself, but I'm not about to do the boat. "Know what I mean Vern". Have you done the eastwood? If so what parts/equipment do you need?
the product is new but eastwoods reputation is solid,i plan on using it as a replacement for jet hots overpriced system.enough to do a set of headers is $30 and all that is needed is bead blast and a jamb gun.eastwood has been supplying me with paints and chemicals that you cant find anywhere else since the 80's and i have never had an issue with quality. btwy the kit even comes with polish....could you imagine doing just about everything you can think of for about $90 dollars?

Last edited by go-fast; 09-20-2007 at 05:56 AM.