Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:54 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am amazed at what you guys did. How did you get it not to detonate/ping with this kind of a/f ratio?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:04 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me stupid, but why would you get MORE DETONATION with a RICHER mixture?? The blue line is the non ECU line. It starts out at around 16/1 A/F and richens to 14/1 at the top end. The red line is the modded line and it seems to hold to about 13/1 all the way across. Last I recalled, 13 parts air to 1 part fuel is RICHER than 16-14/1??? Am I missing something?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:09 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by raceboy
Call me stupid, but why would you get MORE DETONATION with a RICHER mixture?? The blue line is the non ECU line. It starts out at around 16/1 A/F and richens to 14/1 at the top end. The red line is the modded line and it seems to hold to about 13/1 all the way across. Last I recalled, 13 parts air to 1 part fuel is RICHER than 16-14/1??? Am I missing something?
That's the way I'm readin it as well. The stock line looks way off. I'd be more concerned why the engine was running 16:1 in stock form. Or maybe the blue line is just with the piggyback before it was tuned.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:28 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by failsaf3
That's the way I'm readin it as well. The stock line looks way off. I'd be more concerned why the engine was running 16:1 in stock form. Or maybe the blue line is just with the piggyback before it was tuned.

exactly what i was thinking. last time i was on the dyno i had an a/f of ~13.3 stock
Old 07-29-2003, 10:46 PM
fdao

Hmmm, my mistake. I thought the Blue was after mod and red was before. In that case, how the heck did the Z run so lean from the beginning? I can't believe that an intake can make the engine run that lean?
Old 07-29-2003, 11:26 PM
apsilon

Default Re: Here's more info on the SMT6

Originally posted by j's350z
You can also order it with a bypass plug to make it undetectable by the dealer.
I asked this in the previous thread and didn't really get an answer. Is there going to be any chance of buying the bypass plug on it's own?

From the price estimates you've posted before it's more than I'd be willing to pay given the maps will be almost useless to me here (big difference in fuel, alitude etc) and that was one of the big selling points. The bypass plug on the other hand may be very useful.

Good work anyway. It shows what a proper programmable ECU can do.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:35 AM
Lipps

What does availability look like for the Infiniti G35 Coupe?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:41 AM
Traffic

Whoa
Old 07-30-2003, 03:51 AM
j's350z

I think raceboy summed it up correctly. We are running the car richer than factory. I don't know why the car was running so lean stock but thats what the wide band o2 readings came in at.
We obtained the power by playing with the timing. The car right now is running on 94 octane which is readily available on the east coast. But for all of you californians, we will also be developing a map which will be tuned on 91 octane. We have many cars lined up with different types of mods and also no mods to create the perfect combinations. Also a map is in the works for you with the procharger, so you don't have to buy their fuel management system. This unit can also be reflashed by us if you ever upgrade your car in the future. I also plan on creating a map for when I run 100 octane race fuel. The nice thing about the SMT6 is that you can store 2 seperate maps in it which are switchable by a toggle switch. My car will have 1 for 93 octane and 1 for 100 octane. We will install it in a couple cars within the next week or two and will let them post their findings. I am also working with someone in Cali who is going to get me the air readings( temp, barometric pressure, humidity) so I can tune and program the perfect map for you out there....

Apsilion, I am not sure why you would want the unit with the bypass only, The development kit to tune yourself is over $1200 alone plus you need a wide band o2 and a dyno. If you email me the conditions out there in Austrailia, I will be able to see if it is close to any of our test conditions.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:54 AM
zuffy

Default Re: Re: Here's more info on the SMT6

Originally posted by apsilon

From the price estimates you've posted before it's more than I'd be willing to pay given the maps will be almost useless to me here (big difference in fuel, alitude etc) and that was one of the big selling points. The bypass plug on the other hand may be very useful.
Apsilon you can buy the smt6 in Australia for a hell of a lot less.

As far as mapping is concerned why do you think our fuel won't fit this map? We have 98 octane RON. That is about 93 octane PON is it not?

It should work just fine?!?!
Old 07-30-2003, 03:57 AM
j's350z

Default Almost forgot!

Yes, we will be installing the SMT6 in a G35 coupe in the very near future!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:03 AM
j's350z

Yes you can buy the SMT6 from the manufacturer or a dealer in Australia but it doesn't come programmed. Like I posted before, It is not cheap to do it yourself. You can see the prices on their website for the tuning software plus don't forget the $150/hour to dyno tune it. I will probably have about 15 hours of dyno tuning under my belt before all is said and done to come up with the perfect maps. Stay tuned for pricing and availablility as we are very anxious to get these units out to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:06 AM
itzGman

Default prices

is the 1200 tuner the only option?
will yall sell a cheaper untunable version?
gotta save for my volks ya know
Old 07-30-2003, 04:18 AM
j's350z

I wasn't going to post prices yet but I have been receiving many emails with different assumptions of price. We are estimating selling these units in the US for around $695. That will be for a preprogrammed(mapped) unit ready for install. We are planning on having a few choices for your base map to suit your needs. They will include complete wiring instructions and be ready to go..
Old 07-30-2003, 04:19 AM
zuffy

It would be too expensive for us Australians to buy the unit from the US considering we can get them very cheap here.

If you sold the mapping code as a self install then it would work ok. I'd be prepared to pay you for your hard work.

It would be as easy as setting up a web site and we pay online and download.... ahhh if life was that easy!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:22 AM
itzGman

Default bonestock?

is the base map is for a completely bone stock Z?
im guessing that most ecu customers would not be bone stock
sounds like a great product all in all btw!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:40 AM
j's350z

The basic maps we will have should accomodate a bone stock Z as well as one with basic mods like intake and exhaust. We will also have a test car (Daytona), which has the crawford plenum and PE exhaust so we will have resullts from that to. We are actually running it conservative right now. The two main maps we will sell will be for people with 93/94 octante gas and people with 91/92 octane. That will make the biggest difference, not whether you have the borla or not. We will have this installed in cars with various types of mods so we will be able to see the HP + TQ differences with the different mods installed.

Last edited by j's350z; 07-30-2003 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Monkey Man

I'd be concerned with your O2 readings. There is no way a stock Z will be running numbers that lean.

-Jeremy
Old 07-30-2003, 05:41 AM
havabooz

i promised myself to put some money in performance mods before i spend it all on looks

thing is im a little embarrassed cause i dont exactly know how an ecu functions

would you mind just giving me a crash course

assuming the car is stock what does the ecu do to create more power...and are there any negatives?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:57 AM
havabooz

im in the flatbush area..umm...east 27th street and ave M (if that means anything to you)

is an ecu a sensible upgrade for a daily driver?

will the addition of other mods along with the ecu reduce the wear and tear that an ecu will do on a stock Z?

Quick Reply: Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!