Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 06:03 AM
DennisO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also concerned about the accuracy of your stock a/f readings. Are you planning to test other car's stock readings? Does the program richen the mixture from stock by say, 3 points (from 16 to 13) or is it set at 13? It's hard to see the hp gains occuring from richening the mixture as much as you did. If the stock #'s are accurate, this might result in 20% poorer gas mileage. I would also like to hear your response to other's postings of the negatives (more wear and tear on the engine from the advanced timing, etc). THANKS!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:41 AM
Zaphod 350z

Originally posted by havabooz
im in the flatbush area..umm...east 27th street and ave M (if that means anything to you)

is an ecu a sensible upgrade for a daily driver?

will the addition of other mods along with the ecu reduce the wear and tear that an ecu will do on a stock Z?
I'm surprized I haven't seen you around. I'm in sheepshead bay.

ECU's are usually a great upgrade. I for one, want to wait a little longer to see who's doing what and what numbers are produced. I like the power j350 is talking about, but i really want the rev limiter raised and the speed govenor removed. The TS programming does that, but I haven't seen numbers that are very impressive.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:43 AM
havabooz

you know what...i think i did see you...i was in bay ridge one day at a stop sign..around 3rd ave and somwhere in teh 90's...there was a black 350z going the other way...both of us stopped to give the other courtesy to go..it was funny...dunno if it was you but it might have been..reason you havnt seen me in a while is cause in down in NJ for the summer...be back in the fall
Old 07-30-2003, 07:41 AM
99AllTurbo

Although the gains are impressive, here's my concern:

What if the car you guys tested had (well it's obvious per the a/f dyno) a lean condition and all it needed was some fuel to bring it up to par (or normal parameters), hence the high hp gains?

What if you guys dyno a car that has an a/f of 13.x (somewhat more normal for a N/A car) and you guys only gain half or less than half of what you gained on this car?

I don't know if I could be comfortable beleiving (though I want to) that your product will increase hp as well as it did on your test car if say MY Z doesn't have a lean condition like your test car.

So, will you be testing any other Z's?

Good luck and I hope you guys can prove me wrong. Keep us posted.

No flaming please, this is just a valid concern.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:48 AM
j's350z

No problem at all. We will definately be testing on other cars within the next week or two. We already have 3 well known members on this board that will be the first for install and testing. We will base dyno their cars with wide band o2's and then dyno with our preproprammed smt6. We can video it and offer for people in the NJ area to come watch. We are very confident that this will make power on everyone's car. The only people that MAY not see the same gains are on the cars running 91 octane fuel, but we will also dyno a car on 91 before and then create the perfect map for that car.... I am picking up the car in a hour so I should have some driving reviews tonight. I am also going to try to get to raceway park tonight if anyone in the Jersey area wants to go...
Old 07-30-2003, 08:31 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But isn't that the reason why Nismo released an ECU in Japan but
not here? Because we were'nt gonna gain much anyway on 91 octane?
There's probably no hope for us here in Cali.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:38 AM
99AllTurbo

Originally posted by j's350z
No problem at all. We will definately be testing on other cars within the next week or two. We will base dyno their cars with wide band o2's and then dyno with our preproprammed smt6.
Great, that's what I wanted to know. Good luck.

I am also going to try to get to raceway park tonight if anyone in the Jersey area wants to go...
Wish I was still living on L.I. so I could watch the runs. Good luck again.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Zaphod 350z

Originally posted by Zakira
But isn't that the reason why Nismo released an ECU in Japan but
not here? Because we were'nt gonna gain much anyway on 91 octane?
There's probably no hope for us here in Cali.
Not entirely. Also because we have the immobilizer so each ECU is unique to a key.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:03 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Japan Zs are equipped with immobilizers, too. And all the aftermarket ECUs by their major tuners work in conjunction with the immobilizers as well. So I don't think that is a reason.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:42 AM
g356gear

Any planned testing for the 6speed G35 sedans????
Old 07-30-2003, 09:43 AM
DMONTE

No I am picking up the car in a hour so I should have some driving reviews tonight. I am also going to try to get to raceway park tonight if anyone in the Jersey area wants to go...
J. what time tonight do you think you'll actually be running at Raceway Park? I have to work a little late tonight but I would like to see you run.

DMonte
Old 07-30-2003, 09:51 AM
92hatchattack

ok ....... so your ecu advances timing somewhere in there?????? how much... and does it have the capabilities to adjust the timing..... say for us guys that want to run nitrous ....... the advanced timing is great when were off the bottle, but where were spraying that advanced timing could get a bit dangerous right??????? and retard feature for when spraying?????
Old 07-30-2003, 12:22 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

More questions:

What kinda of wide band o2 are you guys using? 16-14:1 stock at WOT? Even with 94 octane it should ping/detonation like crazy. Maybe the 3 octane differences does make a difference in HP gains. Don't know what to think. Guess some more cars will need to be tested on to see results/dyno.

Can the piggy back change VTC point, rev limiter, speed cut (not like you would need it, but i guess if you have SC or turbo you'll hit it).
Old 07-30-2003, 12:57 PM
2003z

Originally posted by Chebosto
More questions:

What kinda of wide band o2 are you guys using? 16-14:1 stock at WOT? Even with 94 octane it should ping/detonation like crazy. Maybe the 3 octane differences does make a difference in HP gains. Don't know what to think. Guess some more cars will need to be tested on to see results/dyno.

Can the piggy back change VTC point, rev limiter, speed cut (not like you would need it, but i guess if you have SC or turbo you'll hit it).
I still don't understand why it should ping like crazy, since 14.7:1 is the ideal mixture for economy.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:38 PM
g356gear

If I remember correctly you want to be around 13-13.5:1 (NA)UNDER LOAD to protect against a broad band of intake temps, which can contribute to detonation, and to cool the combustion chamber slightly. Under FI applications an A/F ratio of 11-11.5 UNDER LOAD is seen as ideal. Some manufacturers say as rich as 10.5:1 for forced induction. 14.7:1 is ideal stoichiometric balance under steady state (steady throttle).
Old 07-30-2003, 01:57 PM
REDZED

Great to see all this development work going on guys ! As the stock ECU is flash programable it seems only a matter of time before affordable hardware becomes availabe to change the standard ECU.

If you look whats been done for the SR20DET engine ECU and how little it costs and how much info is publicly listed ( yes I know its an older technology ) - interesting times are ahead.

But with a factory flash programmed ECU, it only a matter of time til a low cost tool is available and then info will really start to flow.

Obviously this will also allow fine tuning to suit individual mods etc.

Will wait til then - but it won't be easy !
Old 07-30-2003, 02:17 PM
apsilon

Apsilion, I am not sure why you would want the unit with the bypass only, The development kit to tune yourself is over $1200 alone plus you need a wide band o2 and a dyno. If you email me the conditions out there in Austrailia, I will be able to see if it is close to any of our test conditions.
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're calling a bypass but I'm assuming it's a mini section of harness that would sit between the stock harness and ECU. You would then splice into it instead of the stock harness. Correct?

If so then that's what I'd be after so I can use it with a different ECU, one I'm already familiar with.

Zuffy, I think our 98 is roughly their 93 but I wouldn't tune for 98 but rather 95. There are numerous places around where not even the 95 is available let alone the 98. The client I'm at today for example the two closest servos have regular unleaded only. it's also more involved than just which fuel. Altitude will effect air density and therefore you a/f as will temp

Yes you can buy the SMT6 from the manufacturer or a dealer in Australia but it doesn't come programmed. Like I posted before, It is not cheap to do it yourself. You can see the prices on their website for the tuning software plus don't forget the $150/hour to dyno tune it. I will probably have about 15 hours of dyno tuning under my belt before all is said and done to come up with the perfect maps. Stay tuned for pricing and availablility as we are very anxious to get these units out to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I said previously I want to use a different ECU but don't want to cut up the stock harness. As for price of tuning I've never paid more than US$80 per hour to have it tuned, less if I'm tuning myself. Right now I could have unlimted free access to a dyno if I wanted to. I've been working with programmable ECUs for in excess of 10 years so I know what's involved. That's not to say I'm a great tuner, I don't think I am, but I can do it.

I just thought that if my assumptions about the bypass are correct you might like to sell them sperately. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested and some sale is better than no sale IMO. If not then when the time comes that I want to look at an ECU I'm sure I'll be able to find another source somewhere.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:06 PM
N4Spd

Default bypass cable

I'm interested in one as well...

thanks,
rob
Old 07-30-2003, 06:08 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by Chebosto
More questions:

Are you sure you understand how air fuel ratios are measured? 14/1 means 14 parts air for every 1 part fuel. Therefor 14/1 is RICHER than 16/1 because there is less air for each unit of fuel by volume.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:45 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets look at this logically
The Technosquare & the piggyback unit are both trying to increase power by changing the stock ECU,s spark & fuel mixture settings.
TS by a reflash & the piggyback by modifieing the the airflow meter & crank angle sensor signals to acheive the same result.

Why, after many months of testing could the reflash not get the same results as the piggyback?

Surely at some point in time in all these hours of testing by both outfits they would have had similar settings & therefore similar results.

Quick Reply: Perfect Power ECU update!!! WOW !!!