Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Shift kit installation time

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008 | 09:57 PM
THe Emperor

Default Shift kit installation time

I'm thinking of getting a transgo shift kit for my 5AT and I'm wondering how many hours generally should it take a good shop to install this? I basicall trying to get an idea of how much the install would be.
Old 09-07-2008 | 03:34 AM
Will_Evo

bad emp..bad bad bad...stooopp...turn around...bad.

You honestly want to mod your automatic tranny? Lets think about this before we do it...

Evo
Old 09-07-2008 | 06:28 AM
shakuya88

My rough guess...2 hours?
Old 09-07-2008 | 06:43 AM
chrisaray

A shift kit will make it shift quicker and more firm. But it wil not make it handle much more power, and it still may not shift properly if you are FI.

Get a valve body upgrade with larger solenoids.
Old 09-07-2008 | 06:52 AM
THe Emperor

This kit I speak of is a valvebody upgrade.
Old 09-07-2008 | 06:58 AM
Will_Evo

Unless you are planning a huge build..and putting tons of money in your car...a shift kit is dumb....actually even then youd prol just drop a MT in there. Shift kits are a sham...just leave it alone..maybe grab some 3.5 gears or something to compensate(I am pretty sure yours has 3.3's...not sure). I did one of these stupid things in my last car...the biggest waste of money...you "Feel it"..but in the end its doing nothing for you.

Evo

EDIT: OHHH ok Emp...I thought you were talking one of those gay *** tranny kits/ECU add ons....haha my B
Old 09-07-2008 | 06:11 PM
rcdash

^wtf are you smoking son?

A valve body upgrade (aka "a shift kit") will allow your transmission to mechanically shift more firmly (due to increased line pressure). There may still be a delay from when you click to when the shift occurs depending on various factors (input torque and rpm seem to be relevant). The mechanical shift itself will be quick and firm. In fact, the shifts are quite abrupt and jarring after 3k rpms so I'd recommend riding in one before committing to it (though you can go back to a stock valve body). Under 3k rpms you barely feel the extra kick, but it is definitely detectable.

A valve body will allow a transmission to withstand greater power levels by minimizing the wear and tear on the clutch packs (due to the firm, quick shifts). Having a trans cooler + valve body + more frequent fluid changes is a good recipe for the 5AT and may preclude the need for a full rebuild (even for FI).

Give ForgedPerformance a call and talk to Sharif (770-792-0202 - memorized ). He's helped many DIYers install the TransGo kit in addition to performing many upgrades in house and can give you a good estimate.

Last edited by rcdash; 09-07-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2008 | 07:52 PM
THe Emperor

Originally Posted by rcdash
^wtf are you smoking son?

A valve body upgrade (aka "a shift kit") will allow your transmission to mechanically shift more firmly (due to increased line pressure). There may still be a delay from when you click to when the shift occurs depending on various factors (input torque and rpm seem to be relevant). The mechanical shift itself will be quick and firm. In fact, the shifts are quite abrupt and jarring after 3k rpms so I'd recommend riding in one before committing to it (though you can go back to a stock valve body). Under 3k rpms you barely feel the extra kick, but it is definitely detectable.

A valve body will allow a transmission to withstand greater power levels by minimizing the wear and tear on the clutch packs (due to the firm, quick shifts). Having a trans cooler + valve body + more frequent fluid changes is a good recipe for the 5AT and may preclude the need for a full rebuild (even for FI).

Give ForgedPerformance a call and talk to Sharif (770-792-0202 - memorized ). He's helped many DIYers install the TransGo kit in addition to performing many upgrades in house and can give you a good estimate.

Thanks for the post. Thats definitely good info.