Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Venting Crankcase Gasses

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Venting Crankcase Gasses

I've had a dual catch can setup on my car for a while now, using the Husky air compressor filters, both for the driver's side and passenger side.

After staying updated on the catch can threads (I know, there's a ton) I have noticed what some of the high performance guys (e.g. Sharif, JETPILOT) of this forum are doing with their vacuum systems, and it seems like a closed-loop system is not the best design for optimal prevention of oil vapor from entering the intake system.

With that said, I'm just looking for information on how it's "okay" to let both the passenger side and driver's side crank case vapors vent to the atmosphere. I see it's being done with the FI crowd, and am wondering not only if it is okay to get rid of the closed-loop vac system on both the driver's and passenger's side, but why it's a good thing to do that. Excuse my inquisitiveness, I should have been a Mechanical Engineer.

If I do...

PASS side: PCV --> Catch Can --> Breather filter (and plug the port going into the manifold)

DRIVE side: Plug intake tube, Vent valve cover

...is this still allowing for the necessary gases to escape from the crank case? Isn't the "sucking in" of air from the intake tube and the manifold what causes the positive suction necessary to remove the over abundance of gases from the crank case? Or will these harmful gases just be able to "push" themselves out by themselves on both the driver's and passenger's side (w/ out the assistance of intake suction??).

Sorry for the long-windedness...I know there are probably a good amount of you who are boosting who have had to consider a solution to this problem before. Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a NA car, you need the vacuum from the plenum to suck the gasses out. With the FI guys, while not on boost the system u mentioned about doesnt work very well, but on boost, it prevents crankcase pressurization better.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:12 PM
blackfairlady

Is that the verdict?

I can't do breathers on both sides?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
JonnyC

For N/A, I wouldn't change anything from stock. I don't see any advantages - only the disadvantage of less airflow through the crankcase if you vent both sides to the atmosphere.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by JonnyC
For N/A, I wouldn't change anything from stock. I don't see any advantages - only the disadvantage of less airflow through the crankcase if you vent both sides to the atmosphere.
I just did a lot of reading, and the majority of threads from both my350z, along with other Z, Corvette, and Subaru forums discuss breather filters in the context of FI applications.

Jonny, explain to me why I want more airflow through the crankcase with my N/A setup. Is it because with FI motors, the boost pressure "replaces" the suction of the PCV system...enough to push the crank case gases out of a breather filter? So the FI guys essentially have double the crank case pressure to combat, and that is why they can cap off the pick up points of the system and vent? I'm just curious.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PCV system is for emissions only. It is there to burn crankcase vapors that otherwise would be vented to the atmosphere. Before PCV systems cars ran fine venting crankcase vapors to the atmosphere. Without a source of vacuum from the plenum crankase pressure would still vent by itself since high pressure inside the crankcase seaks low pressure which is atmosphere.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The PCV system is for emissions only. It is there to burn crankcase vapors that otherwise would be vented to the atmosphere. Before PCV systems cars ran fine venting crankcase vapors to the atmosphere. Without a source of vacuum from the plenum crankase pressure would still vent by itself since high pressure inside the crankcase seaks low pressure which is atmosphere.
Not to bash the poster at all, but you're refuting posts #2 and #4?

So with me being N/A and all, I'd be okay doing what you did on the PCV side? (the catch can + breather)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the problem you are trying to cure?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
What is the problem you are trying to cure?
There's no problem. The car runs very well. I just have had my manifold apart a few times now, and have noticed small amounts of oil each time. I read up on it, and have obviously found that oil in your intake is a bad thing. I guess the info I have found is best summed up under "Negative Effects..." on this website http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

After reading that, who wouldn't be concerned?

The DIY can I have now is just so small. It makes me think it's not doing as much as it could be. Instead of spending $100 on a properly baffled can, I thought I could use my smaller one, and attach a breather to the exit port instead of routing back to the manifold, to avoid recirculation of oil. That's it in a nutshell.

Last edited by blackfairlady; 01-04-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:23 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the best systems use a vacuum pump to help actively scavenge. so it wouldnt make any sense (to me at least) to remove the vacuum source from a NA car.

If FI guys remove the vacuum source (the plenum) bc the PCV valve can be cracked the wrong direction and allow boost into the crankcase. Get rid of that, and the only way to pressurize the CC is from ring blowby. Thats where the assumption that larger, freeer flowing breathers will equalize the CC with the atmosphere readily.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 AM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the best systems use a vacuum pump to help actively scavenge. so it wouldnt make any sense (to me at least) to remove the vacuum source from a NA car.

If FI guys remove the vacuum source (the plenum) bc the PCV valve can be cracked the wrong direction and allow boost into the crankcase. Get rid of that, and the only way to pressurize the CC is from ring blowby. Thats where the assumption that larger, freeer flowing breathers will equalize the CC with the atmosphere readily.
I guess it's really a different ball game once you add a turbo or SC.

I'm just under the impression that my small catch can - if you're familiar with the DIY air compressor catch can, only holds a couple ounces, and is unbaffled - will suck air in, deposit some oil, but seems like it will still allow some of the oil vapor to travel into the intake manifold. The inlet and outlet points are close, and the depth is shallow. I could just replace it with a "proper" catch can, but I'm just curious if some deposit of oil in the manifold is actually harmful, or not.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:30 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by blackfairlady
I guess it's really a different ball game once you add a turbo or SC.

I'm just under the impression that my small catch can - if you're familiar with the DIY air compressor catch can, only holds a couple ounces, and is unbaffled - will suck air in, deposit some oil, but seems like it will still allow some of the oil vapor to travel into the intake manifold. The inlet and outlet points are close, and the depth is shallow. I could just replace it with a "proper" catch can, but I'm just curious if some deposit of oil in the manifold is actually harmful, or not.
I would say the majority of Z's have oil deposits in the plenum - so I wouldn't worry about it at all. I would suggest just buying a better catch can if you are really concerned.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by JonnyC
I would say the majority of Z's have oil deposits in the plenum - so I wouldn't worry about it at all. I would suggest just buying a better catch can if you are really concerned.
Thanks Jonny. That's what I intend on doing. The upgrade would be mostly for function, but I won't complain if it looks nice too.

I poked around different forums looking for the catch can that seems to have the best overall function, and I came up with:

http://www.saikoumichi.com/

Internal diagram (this is what made me like the saikoumichi): http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n.../catchcan2.jpg

OR

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

I'm just looking for a nice, baffled CC. It seems like the saikoumichi has taken the most steps to interrupt air flow, and encourage condensation / collection of oil at the bottom of the can.

What do you think? Any other brand recommendations? I'm looking for function, not necessarily looks (*cough* ARC...). It seems like the subie forums have ones they like, the evo guys have ones they like, and i've already seen the popular ones from the Z crowd. I'm sure there's no real answer as to which one is the best. I guess if I get a quality one with some engineering put into it, I should be in good shape.

Last edited by blackfairlady; 01-05-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
blackfairlady

^ Thoughts / Opinions anyone?