Old 01-25-2009, 02:32 PM
kdt350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyways thanks for all the feedback everyone

Good info
Old 01-25-2009, 04:23 PM
JEKL

I would have let people think you were 16 and on your first car. At least that would have been an excuse.

And it's not being an internet bully at all. It has to do with the quality of question asked. You mean to tell me that he did one single search on this forum or anywhere online before posting that question? Just let us all do your work for you, that's what a forum is all about.

You obviously can't do any of this work on your own so what does it matter what the problem is? You are going to take it to a shop and have them diagnose it then fix it. Doesn't it make more sense to let them tell you what it is after they have looked inside the transmission instead of letting internet mechanics tell you what the problem is?

Go ahead with your insults and cussing like you did before sonny.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:37 PM
frankie945

Originally Posted by jekl1000
I would have let people think you were 16 and on your first car. At least that would have been an excuse.

And it's not being an internet bully at all. It has to do with the quality of question asked. You mean to tell me that he did one single search on this forum or anywhere online before posting that question? Just let us all do your work for you, that's what a forum is all about.

You obviously can't do any of this work on your own so what does it matter what the problem is? You are going to take it to a shop and have them diagnose it then fix it. Doesn't it make more sense to let them tell you what it is after they have looked inside the transmission instead of letting internet mechanics tell you what the problem is?

Go ahead with your insults and cussing like you did before sonny.
Peace on the Forums........
It was your smarta** s comment that got this started in the first place. Time to lock the Thread MODS
Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 PM
kdt350

jekl1000 thanks for the comments

Youre right I will not do the work myself ... Bought the car new cash 3 years ago and it is a weekend driver .. the money to get it fixed is peanuts.

Thanks everyone who lended helping advice so I at least have a clue when I go to the shop. I am the first one to admit I am no car expert but does that not give me the right to post questions on this forum without getting bashed ?

I guess I have to be in your cool little grease monkey club jek1000 ?

There is more to life then your 350Z

Its just a car man..
Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by kdt350
jekl1000 thanks for the comments

I guess I have to be in your cool little grease monkey club jek1000 ?

There is more to life then your 350Z

Its just a car man..
Simmer down Nick Burns! Actually I pay a mechanic to do all my work as well. There is no way I would attempt to replace a clutch, but it doesn't mean I don't know what the hell one is and does. You don't have to be a grease monkey to know that. It's called being knowledgeable about something you invest money into. That way you don't get a$$ raped by a mechanic who tells it's going to cost $500 to replace your flux capacitor when your head light goes out. Sound familiar?

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with someone online. So you can go back to playing dungeons and dragons.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

90 percent chance its a clutch problem. The problem is apparent within a "torque range." You say gear and RPM. Well that gear and RPM is within the problem torque range.

It will not get better on its own. You will see the problem in other gears.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 AM
kdt350

Simmer down Nick Burns! Actually I pay a mechanic to do all my work as well. There is no way I would attempt to replace a clutch, but it doesn't mean I don't know what the hell one is and does. You don't have to be a grease monkey to know that. It's called being knowledgeable about something you invest money into. That way you don't get a$$ raped by a mechanic who tells it's going to cost $500 to replace your flux capacitor when your head light goes out. Sound familiar?

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with someone online. So you can go back to playing dungeons and dragons.

Well played sir

Got a good laugh
Old 01-26-2009, 11:32 AM
JEKL

Seriously, good luck with the clutch. I hope it all works out and doesn't end up costing too much!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM
kdt350

Seriously, good luck with the clutch. I hope it all works out and doesn't end up costing too much!

Well listen to this

I took the car to the dealer today to see if they see the same thing I am seeing and of course they said nothing is wrong. I even took the guy out for a test drive on the turnpike and duplicated the issue .. I had to be going like 97 MPH to duplicate it and drop it into 5th at 4,500 RPM then floor it (the poor guy was scared for his life HAHA !) , of course I showd him the issue first hand going about 100 MPH where the RPM's just rev up to 6,500 grabbing nothing. He said "oh thats normal"

This was suppossed to be the "senior tech" in the shop

What diagnostics tests if anyhting should they be running to find out what we all suspect ? Sine they ovbiuosly dont believe me .

Maybe I am paraniod and there is nothing wrong ? Just seems abmormal to me when I downshift from 6th to 5th and floor it there is nothing there to grab and revs up to 6,500 then comes back and grabs 5th at about 4K again .

Old 01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kdt350
Well listen to this

I took the car to the dealer today to see if they see the same thing I am seeing and of course they said nothing is wrong. I even took the guy out for a test drive on the turnpike and duplicated the issue .. I had to be going like 97 MPH to duplicate it and drop it into 5th at 4,500 RPM then floor it (the poor guy was scared for his life HAHA !) , of course I showd him the issue first hand going about 100 MPH where the RPM's just rev up to 6,500 grabbing nothing. He said "oh thats normal"

This was suppossed to be the "senior tech" in the shop

What diagnostics tests if anyhting should they be running to find out what we all suspect ? Sine they ovbiuosly dont believe me .

Maybe I am paraniod and there is nothing wrong ? Just seems abmormal to me when I downshift from 6th to 5th and floor it there is nothing there to grab and revs up to 6,500 then comes back and grabs 5th at about 4K again .

STEP 1: Find a stretch of open road, or a long street with no traffic.

STEP 2: Bring your car up to about 20-25 miles per hour

STEP 3: Shift into 5th gear, or whatever the highest gear is that your car has. Yes, it's too soon to shift into high gear, but that's the point of the test--to stress the clutch.

STEP 4: Press the gas firmly, as if you were accelerating onto a freeway.

STEP 5: Observe! If the engine starts to rev free, as if it were in neutral, and/or your tachometer needle spins toward redline very quickly, your clutch is slipping.

STEP 6: Observe! But if the car slowly accelerates, even if it staggers, bucks and strains, then the clutch is okay!
Old 01-26-2009, 01:41 PM
kdt350

Originally Posted by davidv

STEP 3: Shift into 5th gear, or whatever the highest gear is that your car has. Yes, it's too soon to shift into high gear, but that's the point of the test--to stress the clutch.

STEP 5: Observe! If the engine starts to rev free, as if it were in neutral, and/or your tachometer needle spins toward redline very quickly, your clutch is slipping.

STEP 6: Observe! But if the car slowly accelerates, even if it staggers, bucks and strains, then the clutch is okay!

Thanks let me give that a shot
Old 01-26-2009, 02:04 PM
kdt350

Originally Posted by davidv

Well according to this test my clutch is ok .

Put it in 5th at 25 mph and the car bucks, strains and staggers acting exactly like a car should when you have it in a high hear at low MPH
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
JEKL

That does sound odd. I have no idea what he is talking about it being normal. My 5th gear has never acted like that while doing that speed.

But David is right, that is a good way to test it. Unless it is not in that bad of shape and needs the higher force to make the clutch give out. I had a manual and an auto clutch go bad, but those both started acting up in 2nd gear.

Maybe just give it time and see if it carries over to other gears. It's not like something that will just stop working one day and leave you stranded.

Again, good luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
kdt350

That does sound odd. I have no idea what he is talking about it being normal. My 5th gear has never acted like that while doing that speed.

But David is right, that is a good way to test it. Unless it is not in that bad of shape and needs the higher force to make the clutch give out. I had a manual and an auto clutch go bad, but those both started acting up in 2nd gear.

Maybe just give it time and see if it carries over to other gears. It's not like something that will just stop working one day and leave you stranded.

Again, good luck.

Exactly

That is what I am going to do.

Just give it some time and see if it starts showing up in other gears. Anyways its not like I am out going 100 MPH everyday and dropping from 6th to 5th on a regular basis.