Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dexron-VI is better than J-Matic

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 AM
stud_daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dexron-VI is better than J-Matic

At least that's what I've been told by my mechanic. Is it true?

By the way, one quart of Dexron-VI is about 20% more expensive than J-Matic.

See link:
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/618.aspx
Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 AM
derek173

Originally Posted by stud_daddy
At least that's what I've been told by my mechanic. Is it true?

By the way, one quart of Dexron-VI is about 20% more expensive than J-Matic.

See link:
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/618.aspx
Mechanics say a lot of things, always stick with what was designed to be used in your cars.

Lets say it is better at lubricating or keeping the tranny cool because of some special additive and chemical. That chemical however is corrosive to some metals or gaskets. So a transmission designed for this type of ATF will take that into account and build a tranny using metals and gaskets that are not effected by this chemical.

Now put that ATF in a trans not designed for that fluid and sure maybe it will run better for a while but in the long run it will catch up to you.

If you are worried about your trans do what I do, change the fluid on a regular basis. I do my ATF change every 12-15 month, I used to take it to the dealer but found some videos on how to change the ATF myself and also will be installing a transmission filter.

ATF change

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...on_service.htm

ATF Filter install

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...stallation.htm

Very helpful site for DIY
Old 09-29-2009, 08:45 AM
derek173

I did purchase some Amsoil universal ATF on recommendations from the guy who made all those videos (bythabay).

AMSOIL Synthetic Universal ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

• GM DEXRON® III-H
• Ford MERCON® & MERCON V
• Chrysler ATF+4®
• Toyota Type T-III and T-IV
• Honda Z-1 (Not CVT)
• Diamond SP II & III (Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia)
• Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
• Subaru ATF
Nissan Matic D, J & K
• Idemitsu K-17
• BMW LA2634
• LT 71141
• Audi G-052-025-A2 & G-052-162-A1
• Volvo 97340
• MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9 & 236.10
• JWS 3309
• NAG 1
• ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B & N402
• Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
• ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 14C, 16L, 17C
• Allison C-4, TES 389

*Not for use with CVT or Ford Type F applications.

SERVICE LIFE
Recommended for 50,000 miles in severe service* and 100,000 miles in normal service;* or per vehicle manufacturer-recommended intervals, whichever is longer.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 AM
stud_daddy

Originally Posted by derek173
Mechanics say a lot of things, always stick with what was designed to be used in your cars.

Lets say it is better at lubricating or keeping the tranny cool because of some special additive and chemical. That chemical however is corrosive to some metals or gaskets. So a transmission designed for this type of ATF will take that into account and build a tranny using metals and gaskets that are not effected by this chemical.

Now put that ATF in a trans not designed for that fluid and sure maybe it will run better for a while but in the long run it will catch up to you.

If you are worried about your trans do what I do, change the fluid on a regular basis. I do my ATF change every 12-15 month, I used to take it to the dealer but found some videos on how to change the ATF myself and also will be installing a transmission filter.

ATF change

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...on_service.htm

ATF Filter install

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...stallation.htm

Very helpful site for DIY
Ok what you say makes perfect sense. But I am having my transmission rebuilt by this guy now (it failed last week - clutch plates toasted) and he has guaranteed my tranny for 1 year with this DexronVI. According to him he has used DexronVI in place of JMatic in plenty of other Nissan models without issue.....in fact it supposedly gives better compression/torque, has better heat resistance and can also come in handy for full body oil rubs on my girlfriend.

Dumb question: does my 350Z already come with a stock ATF filter? If yes should I have it replaced since my tranny is currently being overhauled?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 AM
derek173

Originally Posted by stud_daddy
Ok what you say makes perfect sense. But I am having my transmission rebuilt by this guy now (it failed last week - clutch plates toasted) and he has guaranteed my tranny for 1 year with this DexronVI. According to him he has used DexronVI in place of JMatic in plenty of other Nissan models without issue.....in fact it supposedly gives better compression/torque, has better heat resistance and can also come in handy for full body oil rubs on my girlfriend.

Dumb question: does my 350Z already come with a stock ATF filter? If yes should I have it replaced since my tranny is currently being overhauled?
I don't believe it comes with a stock filter. I would advise against using Dexron unless you really trust this guy. Why not have him use the Amsoil it seems to work for every transmission and is compatible with alot of different ATFs. Then again I am just some guy on the internet and he is the pro but it seems that Nissan is very strict with using J-matic, has to be for a reason.

I would always listen to the manufacturers recommendations, before a mechanic or some guy on the internet.

Last edited by derek173; 09-29-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
derek173

Also more details on how your 5AT failed? are you the first owner? How many miles did it fail at? what were your symptoms? do alot of racing? details details details.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
stud_daddy

Originally Posted by derek173
Also more details on how your 5AT failed? are you the first owner? How many miles did it fail at? what were your symptoms? do alot of racing? details details details.
See my previous post for some history on my problem (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...x-failure.html)

I've nailed it down to two possible causes:
1. The previous owner drove the car very hard (but seems unlikely because when I received the car it was in immaculate condition all around).

2. Since I only drive the car on weekends and I don't drive hard, I think the root cause of my tranny failure is my last engine flush......they used a cheaper ATF to flush the tranny, then refilled with J-Matic all 11 quarts needed for a full refill. So that probably caused it. I think.