Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Over heating issue update

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
silver_shadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating issue update

My previous issue went with this, https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...tensioner.html , and another "06' 350z overheat" .

I got the water pump replaced and used the same procedure to get all the air out the system and its running fine. Just figured I'd give the update and let yall know what happened.

For the record I appreciate the advice but after going threw all the research and calling Nissan before i decided to replace the water pump i got on here for help thinking i didn't do something right to get the tensioner off. Well, it seemed that everyone was so infatuated with the fact that i was stupid and didn't think i knew how to bleed the system, they forgot my question was how to take the tensioner off. Now again i appreciate the heads up about the heat and air issue but i'd been through that and it wasn't really my question and then i basically get called ignorant for replacing a water pump when I'm almost done anyway.... I'm just saying.... their are some people on this forum that are a**holes and the people at zcar.com are a lot nicer. It's discouraging to get on here for help and have people say the things they say. I understood what was being said about the air but I was pretty sure about replacing the water pump. The last post on that thread told me how to get the tensioner off but i already had it i just wasn't getting it unlocked enough in fear of "tearing something up".

For anybody that may want to know Nissan told me a trick to getting the air out P.M. me if your curious or i'll post it on another thread
Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 PM
silver_shadow

also like i said, in my mind, there was no point in me not replacing the water pump when i had gotten that far because i'd kick myself in the *** if i put it all back together and i had to replace the water pump anyway.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious as to the trick but just post it up here for all to see.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:15 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

i had a similar problem. my thermostat went out on my Z so i replaced it with a autozone brand. i thought i had air in my lines so i got the leslie funnel off amazon. (look up coolant purge nightmare) that didnt work. it turned out the thermostat i bought was bad too.

it never occurred to me to test the thermostat. i thought it was the heater core or water pump, maybe a head gasket. i went to a votech to be a mechanic so i know enough about cars but was clueless. i also took to a mechanic he couldnt figure it out, no ses lights or leaking anywhere. i thought it was a possible bad tune.

where im getting is be open minded about listening to opinions, no disrespect to you or your pops. the guys in the other thread where just trying to help you. i too did research on the forum but was still lost until i had my dad take my car to shop ill later post about and provide feed back to our community.

not everyone on my350z are a holes but you cant come in here with thin skin. btw w/all that said did you ever bleed your lines? is your problem solved. on my behalf i wanna say thank you to everyone who gave me advice on purging the coolant system. usually water pumps leak when they go bad...
Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by silver_shadow
.... I'm just saying.... their are some people on this forum that are a**holes and the people at zcar.com are a lot nicer. It's discouraging to get on here for help and have people say the things they say.
So leave here and stay on zcar.com if you can't take the heat.

....For anybody that may want to know Nissan told me a trick to getting the air out P.M. me if your curious or i'll post it on another thread
Why even ask? Wouldn't you want to just help out and go ahead and post your findings? You wanted everyone to help you, eventhough we didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, so why not help others without making them pm you for it? Isn't this the purpose of a public forum? (And to F' with people too?)
Old 12-08-2009, 10:20 AM
silver_shadow

viva la spam - Like i said i took into consideration what they said so i was being opened minded and listening to opinions, but i didn't wanna get that far and not replace the pump anyway.

halfass872 - Like i said some people are a**holes.... There a difference in constructive criticism like viva la spam and you.... the difference is your an a**hole

now i'm not saying everyone that posted on the previous thread was an a**. Actually the only one that was an a** was halfass872....how ironic.... For the most part everyone else was informative and Sylvan Lake V35 actually did a very good job pointing out how to get the tensioner off.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

So you think people were being an azz to you so you're going to be an azz to everyone else? That makes you the better man?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM
silver_shadow

I'm not being an a**...... just pointing out the obvious and i didn't know if anyone wanted to know what Nissan said about the air pocket issue or not but i just posted up a thread....
Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Jeff92se

I want to know. Post please. Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Jeff92se

Nissan's Bleeding Trick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't know if anybody was interested in this or not. So this is basically what they told me or what i got from what the mechanic said with a few changes if i didn't get it exactly right. I got a new air relief screw, took the old one and drilled a hole through it and put a hose in the hole and screwed it in. I used a clear hose so I could see the coolant. I put a bottle at the other end of the hose with the bottom cut out that way you can just leave the car idling and sit their and squeeze the top radiator hose till you get all the air out. This also prevents you from getting coolant everywhere and you can add coolant as needed through the bottle and hose.

Not much to it, actually sounds kinda stupid but it works. Don't know if anybody had tried that before or not but that's basically it.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 AM
WhiteNoiz

I'm not being an a**...... just pointing out the obvious and i didn't know if anyone wanted to know what Nissan said about the air pocket issue or not but i just posted up a thread....
my pennies, I commented on your other thread.

I knew you werent going to take peoples advice and not mess with the timing chain when it may not be nessesary. Obviously, and error would result in catastrophic engine failure. Believe me, people were just trying to help, even though, once again, it wasnt what you wanted to hear. If it were a part that was known to fail, or at risk of failing, then yea, why not replace it. Not the case...

Anyway, here you are, rubbing it in our faces so to speak, and for what? You still dont know if it was the problem, or if there was simply air in the system. So yes, in a way, you are coming off as an a**.

Either way, I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
my pennies, I commented on your other thread.

I knew you werent going to take peoples advice and not mess with the timing chain when it may not be nessesary. Obviously, and error would result in catastrophic engine failure. Believe me, people were just trying to help, even though, once again, it wasnt what you wanted to hear. If it were a part that was known to fail, or at risk of failing, then yea, why not replace it. Not the case...

Anyway, here you are, rubbing it in our faces so to speak, and for what? You still dont know if it was the problem, or if there was simply air in the system. So yes, in a way, you are coming off as an a**.

Either way, I'm glad it worked out for you.
Thank you!!! You covered it all flawlessly!!!

Especially the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" part, since that's more or less what started the whole "azzfest".
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nissan's Bleeding Trick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't know if anybody was interested in this or not. So this is basically what they told me or what i got from what the mechanic said with a few changes if i didn't get it exactly right. I got a new air relief screw, took the old one and drilled a hole through it and put a hose in the hole and screwed it in. I used a clear hose so I could see the coolant. I put a bottle at the other end of the hose with the bottom cut out that way you can just leave the car idling and sit their and squeeze the top radiator hose till you get all the air out. This also prevents you from getting coolant everywhere and you can add coolant as needed through the bottle and hose.

Not much to it, actually sounds kinda stupid but it works. Don't know if anybody had tried that before or not but that's basically it.
No offense (although i'm prtetty sure it will be taken), but that's exactly the way it is supposed to be done, and can be found posted on this site numerous times.

The hose idea helps for those that tend to make a mess, but honestly all you have to do is wrap a rag around the bleed screw, TAKE YOUR TIME, and you can bleed it so that only enough fluid to make the rag damp comes out. I've done this 4 times, it's a pain no matter what, but if you take you time you can have zero leakage on the ground doing it the conventional method.

Last edited by halfass872; 12-08-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
silver_shadow

well its over with now appreciate the advice.... and for future reference you all prolly know this but as long as you don't jump a tooth on the timing chain everything should be fine it stays in time....
Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

well its over with now appreciate the advice.... and for future reference you all prolly know this but as long as you don't jump a tooth on the timing chain everything should be fine it stays in time....
good to hear everything worked out fine