Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Gears and LSD comparisons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:49 AM
drivessidewayz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears and LSD comparisons?

First off, I apologize if I missed some threads. I've been doing tons of suspension/drivetrain research on the site lately and couldn't find simple comparisons; just about one or the other. However if you know of a thread I'll gladly read it. As a note I *did* read the LSD reviews thread and it didn't specifically answer my questions.

My goal is to break into drifting with a dd this summer after I have my engine looked at x.x

First question: To those who chose 3.9 gears, was there a specific reason you chose those over 4.09?

Second: I was going to go with Carbonetic 1.5/2 way, but I see a lot of people run Cusco RS. Is there a performance reason behind that?

Third: I was under the impression I could get away with just the LSD (open diff atm) but from my reading it seems that I will need more parts from a VLSD model?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: As a side note, I *am* aware of the 2k mile oil change interval on the Carbonetic

Edit 2: 6 Speed

Last edited by drivessidewayz; 01-03-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carbonetics does not make a diff that is both 1.5 and 2 way - it's either one or the other.

As for the gear choice, lots of reasons I presume - 4.08 are cheaper and readily available. If the subject people bought them back in 05-6, 3.9 was all that was available.

If your car is a base, then depending on what diff you choose, you may need extra parts. Some units are made to replace the factory open unit, some are made to replace the factory VLSD unit. Either way you should do bearings, seals, ring gear bolts as part of any LSD install.

If you've never drifted before, I'd suggested taking a few of the classes offered around the country before buying any related parts
Old 01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
drivessidewayz

Sorry, I meant 1.5 or 2 way depending on what I decided. I suppose though that's another reason to go Cusco. I saw a non-LSD Cusco on your site, so that would save me money there too. Since you do run Cusco, how long does your diff last before you have to rebuild it or replace it? And what's the oil change interval on it?

Ahh, I wasn't aware 4.09 was a more recent release. Thanks

I haven't drifted in competition, but I have set up cones in an empty parking lot the cops let us and the stunt bikers have. I will look into school though, thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

1.5 way and 2 way act in different ways

1.5 way locks on accel and partially on decel. 2 way locks all the time. 2 way is what pro drifters prefer.

I've never had to replace or rebuild my diff, but I don't drift. I use normal oil change intervals. For drift or competition use, those maintenance things will vary by user
Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

If your wanting to get into drifting get a 2way aftermarket LSD........I run a Nismo LSD but it seems as you cant go wrong with any of the other clutch styled 2 ways out there....

when it came to drifting, the 2way diff for me made an unholy difference!!! i regret anytime drifting before with out it........seriously!

next, you have a manual, so i would leave your gears alone.....remember drifting is high RPM and spinning wheels......with a manual you dont need anything more that the 3.5 it already has and a good LSD 2way diff...

sure the 2way wont be forgiving or ideal for daily driving, but you gotta choose man.......its one or the other, cant really have both.....my nismo 2way LSD is clunky, loud, popping, tire screeching but its the sound of performance........

you may also wanna read here: https://my350z.com/forum/drift/39963...ing-the-z.html
-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 01-04-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

+1^^^^

I have the quaife LSD and still LUST for 2way clutch when at an event..but since my Z is my DD my LSD is what "suits" my needs..good for track, and DD driving...not so much for DRIFT but it "works"

I would mind the loudness of a 2way diff - would be syck IMO..
Old 01-07-2010, 05:07 AM
drivessidewayz

Thanks for the helpful responses guys. So a 2 way is definitely the way to go. The Z is *a* DD; I have another car if I need it. Problem is that it seems a bit harder to find a Nismo diff than the others.

As for the gears, I've read that 3.5 is a good way to go, but my car is still stock and I figured it would be worth it to throw something in there for more torque so I don't always have to drop the clutch to spin the tires. Tbh I also kinda wanted it for 1/4 mile fun occasionally, lol.

But you have more experience than I do; it was just an idea since the diff was already going to be out of the car.

And that link was the first thing I read when I decided to get into drifting I've read through it at least twice.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Like I said, try actually doing some schools first, before you just start tossing parts at the car. Improve the driver first, the car second...it is way more capable in stock form than you likely are.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 AM
drivessidewayz

Well regardless of whether or not I start drifting, this setup(minus the gears) would help with FI later on if I went that route. I have tried around an empty parking lot though that the cops let us have, but the car's a bit unpredictable with an open diff. I can make it slide, but it takes effort.

I have also been looking into/trying to find schools, but that doesn't mean I have to stop doing research

Last edited by drivessidewayz; 01-07-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

A 2 way diff is not going to be helpful on a daily driver, and depending on what FI setup you get, the gears may end up being tougher to manage vs the stock 3.5 final drive

First thing you really need to do is establish a budget and direct you are going to pursue with the car. Otherwise you end up duplicating your efforts which will cost both time and money
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
drivessidewayz

Yea, that's why I was debating on 1.5 vs 2 way. I love to DD my Z which is why I'm still torn on these. I'm thinking Cusco because I can tear it apart and switch it around later (from what I understand) if I really want to. I have a couple months to decide cuz I'm not going to work in the snow, lol.

As far as a budget goes, I'm trying to stay under 4k (self + friend install). But if the opportunity arises that my engine needs replaced I will push a little over that and get a Fidanza clutch and flywheel while it's out.

But FI is a long way off, so I'm not overly concerned about it. (I also noted "minus the gears" in my previous statement :P )