Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350EVO..........3.9 Final drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't knwo what experience others have, but on many carsI ahve owned, simply altering the final drive was a tremendously worthwhile mod. Now, perhas for gusy planning to go FI tis would be a waste of time...but for those intending to stay NA, I think it will prove itself quite worthy. While the multiplication factor is huge with 1st and 2nd gear, the thing you leave out is the torue those old school muscle cars have down low....something the Z does not achieve till midway through the rev range.

Traction wise, time will tell..the Z is a horrible car to drag race in the first place....to me, it's a non isue, as I cannot imagine taking this to the strip....that's what my other Z is for

Plusses and minusses guys, plusses and minusses.......they are always there, no matter the mod. In my case, plusses outweight the minusses.

As for the diff being the same, loads of cars used R200's.....240SX's and many many cars in the Nissan arsenal includded (my 280 ZX now runs a R200 LSD). This does not mean though it will drop right in....I have not studied it in depth enough to know yes or no myself.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:47 PM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have unsubscribed to this thread so you can post in peace.
Gee, that's a load off.

You know what? When people cease to accept opposing opinion, refuting evidence, opposite argument, and other's comments we have ceased to be a free country and we cease to be who we are and we begin to lose what this country stands for. This is not a diatribe on the values of this country, but it is a statement on the ridiculousness of some of the rebuttals to my statements.

If you want to be selfish nonlistener, please do not waste MY time bumping this thread with worthless posts on how someone should not bring additional information to the table to help everyone out there. Lower gearing is a GREAT mod for MOST cars under different circumstances. I sincerely apologize that I am not wrapped up in the dazzle and awe of a fresh new product just because it exists.

I repeat what I have said before, be SMART about what you buy. There is a lot of stuff to waste your money on out there. Buy the parts that are worth their price. Just because it exists doesn't mean it is necessary.

Seriously, big kudos to 350EVO for coming out with the gears. Just as they do, I would def. recommend the gears for the road course but for those who do not regularly go to the road track or autocross they may not be a great idea. Get them, I don't care. It isn't up to me of course.

My recommendation is not unfounded and pulled out of no where. If you call it slamming, then you really need to get some thicker skin. You obviously have not dealt much in business as I am not even criticizing the product!! I am making a simple recommendation on the use and application of this product so people don't waste 1K plus dollars! I am sorry you disagree with that!

Please, do not respond unless it is regarding the use or application of this product. I am not interested in your opinion anymore on me, my opinion, the factual knowledge I might provide once in a while, or anything else in this thread except the use and application of rear end gears. We are way off track and for the sake of EVO, I want to get this thread back where it should be. Thanks for all your email space.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 02-02-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:28 AM
black_s2000

for a s2000 with a 4.44 gears the 1/4 drops .4 the 4.77 drops the 1/4 by .6-.7 and the s2000 comes with 4.10 fd so u guys can do the math plus u got more torque on your side
Old 02-03-2004, 09:38 AM
dwnshift

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-03-2004, 09:46 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by black_s2000
for a s2000 with a 4.44 gears the 1/4 drops .4 the 4.77 drops the 1/4 by .6-.7 and the s2000 comes with 4.10 fd so u guys can do the math plus u got more torque on your side
Although close, the S2000 still has higher ratios also spaced closer together in the transmission than the Z. It also revs 38% higher than the Z. Another thing to keep in mind is that gears are a torque multiplier. Something the S2000 has none of and something the Z has enough of to overdo it with lower gears. They are FAR from the same car.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 02-03-2004 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Balls

flybyz... i gotta disagree with you on this one....

i think this is a great mod.... if you've got wheelspin problems with a 3.917 fdrive... you need to take the lead out. (of your shoes... hehe) launching may be more difficult but isn't that something for you to work on as a driver instead of blaming your car???? And uh... since when are we so concerned with 1/4 mile times?!?!?!?!!? I know the vq has a lot of torque... but seriously people... this is not a drag car.

All that being said... I do think 900 is too much money for a ring and pinion.

The odd thing is... i totally expected a post such as this from you flybyz....
Old 02-03-2004, 02:25 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by Z-*****
flybyz... i gotta disagree with you on this one....

i think this is a great mod.... if you've got wheelspin problems with a 3.917 fdrive... you need to take the lead out. (of your shoes... hehe) launching may be more difficult but isn't that something for you to work on as a driver instead of blaming your car???? And uh... since when are we so concerned with 1/4 mile times?!?!?!?!!? I know the vq has a lot of torque... but seriously people... this is not a drag car.

All that being said... I do think 900 is too much money for a ring and pinion.

The odd thing is... i totally expected a post such as this from you flybyz....
That's fine that some of you (most of you ) disagree with me on the gearing in the Z. I hope you all get what you want out of them, I really do. However, taking your foot of the gas is a sure way to lose any race, whether it is straight or curvy. Anyways, I just was bringing another perspective, as always.

Hey, Zballs, why would you expect a post from me on this? You calling me a tightwad or an untrusting bastard? They could both be true... It takes a lot for me to trust an idea. There are only a few here that completely have mine. And I like a good price. Heh.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Balls

i don't mean to attack anyone here... I'm just saying that i don't think traction would be an issue on a road course with this mod. And drag racing i don't even know... hehe

I usually agree with you so maybe i'm a tightwad too....
anyway... we need more tightwads here! Too many drones!

You got a pm.

Last edited by Balls; 02-04-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:53 AM
John

*crickets chirping*

There is long-awaited good news in the very near future... *wink wink*
Old 05-11-2004, 12:36 PM
dwnshift

Yes that is correct they have arrived.......
We are getting all the packaging ready and will start taking orders for the Ring and Pinions by themselves very soon.
We are also in the process of getting the pricing structure redone for those that are wishing to do core swaps.
If people are interested in being without their Z's for a couple of days we can do the installs in your current housings.
Any ?'s send them to
BJ@350EVO.com

It appears everything is coming in at once as the arms are on their way and the sway bars.
BJ
Old 05-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Traffic

Just perusing the thread... kinda eerie seeing g35spot's posts since he isn't around anymore.

On a brighter note, glad to see the final drive gears are out now. I'll be picking one up soon myself.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:07 PM
little_rod

Originally posted by Traffic
Just perusing the thread... kinda eerie seeing g35spot's posts since he isn't around anymore.
What do you mean by this?? Something bad??
Old 05-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Traffic

Originally posted by little_rod
What do you mean by this?? Something bad??
He was killed in a wreck back in February.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:01 PM
little_rod

Originally posted by Traffic
He was killed in a wreck back in February.
I was afraid to ask the question cause I knew the answer might not be good, but wanted to know what happened. He had a real sweet car, may he rest in peace.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Glad to hear the Gears have be released. We have customers wanting these.... as a matter of fact, I believe you have or will next day air one to me for a customers car on the rack right now. We'll do a review for you ASAP!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:09 AM
dwnshift

Got some bad news.....................
I will discuss later after I talk to our manufacture.....
I am not a very happy camper.
;(
Old 05-12-2004, 07:24 AM
shortcut3d

Originally posted by dwnshift
;(
Ohhh no, I was saving my change to get the 350EVO final drive with the nismo lsd. Maybe you will have another pre-order discount?

I also think this would be better gearing. And the fuel economy won't get worse in traffic, just more shifting or possibly less because 2nd will be strong enough to start (already possible, but better).

Jason & Jeff - this seems perfect for fly people because it will keep the car out of the 2500 and under range plus help get through it quicker, thus less vechile noise harsness from the tranny.

Someone mentioned less strain on the transmission with a higher final drive. So could this also lower transmission chatter with a flywheel? I care about this alot because I am convinced I want a NISMO flywheel and the 350EVO gears together (out of corner acceleration junkie).
Old 05-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Redfoot

F**K

Old 05-12-2004, 09:26 AM
shanedog

Have we figured out about what the price will be for the parts, as well as the install. THat is....if this mishap gets taken care of....whatever it is
Old 05-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Dom

Can you please stop that "good news - bad news" game?
Just let us know when they arrive and we'll flood you with orders!

Thanks, Dom

Quick Reply: 350EVO..........3.9 Final drive