Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Z33Art V3.0-LS1/TH400 Swap

Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM
bigcloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Armed Ferret
Right on. Did you make your own return setup, or go with something already made for the 350z?

Hope I'm not coming across too nosy....just doing as much research as possible before I decide what route to go with my Z.

Armed Ferret do the LS swap!! I'm planning on doing this in my garage as well. We totally could help each other out in doing the swap!! Maybe do them both at the same time!!! I'm compiling information and will try and put together a step by step process when it comes to the accessories, and wiring. With the help of Quamen and hopefully other people we could have the support like the 240 guys have when they do their swaps.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Armed Ferret
Right on. Did you make your own return setup, or go with something already made for the 350z?

Hope I'm not coming across too nosy....just doing as much research as possible before I decide what route to go with my Z.
Made my own back when I was turbo and was able to retrofit it to this motor with ease due to how I ran it.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are hardcores lol
Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Quamen

So bigcloud, is your Z your DD?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Armed Ferret

Originally Posted by bigcloud
Armed Ferret do the LS swap!! I'm planning on doing this in my garage as well. We totally could help each other out in doing the swap!! Maybe do them both at the same time!!! I'm compiling information and will try and put together a step by step process when it comes to the accessories, and wiring. With the help of Quamen and hopefully other people we could have the support like the 240 guys have when they do their swaps.

don't have a garage, and it'll be a few years before i'm ready to do whatever i do....whether it's an LS swap or a twin turbo setup. leaning much to the LS swap at this point, though.

just got my z this past spring....still plenty of driving to do in it before I decide on a new setup.

thanks for the info quamen...any pics of the fuel tank side of that return system by chance?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:05 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by Quamen
So bigcloud, is your Z your DD?
Yes it's my DD and my track car. I have a second car I can drive when I start the swap.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Quamen

Hoping to make it to the track today if the weather holds out!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Quamen

Finished the line locks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz1q5-v3a64
Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 PM
bigcloud

SICK!!! Did you make it to the track?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by bigcloud
SICK!!! Did you make it to the track?
No. Scattered showers all day.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Quamen

Old 10-25-2010, 06:06 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Very nice work man. Love watching your transformations Deff. jealous of your skillz... Would you recommend this set-up over any other for a DD?

Chris
Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by NA&CH
Very nice work man. Love watching your transformations Deff. jealous of your skillz... Would you recommend this set-up over any other for a DD?

Chris
If you can afford it and don't look at the project as $X.XX=XXXwhp, I would totally recommend it. I spent a lot of money for 322whp, but now I can go spend $700 on valvetrain and a cam and make 50whp with ease. That is where the real payback is other than the looks people give you.

The only reason I would not recommend it is that every shop I have seen do this swap has done an average job in my opinion. Those who I have talked to who had a shop do the swap for them have generally been less than pleased with the service and quailty they received. Not saying they don't love their cars because I am sure they do. It's just that the people I have talked with who have had swaps from Sikky or Hinson were not entirely pleased for one reason or another.

I personally was going to go with a Sikky kit but they failed to return my phone call numerous times so I said "F" it and made my own.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM
JDMStanced

Muffler delete? This would be a rice thing to do on N/A..huh lol
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Havok_RLS2

Love it! Welcome to the club.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Havok_RLS2

If you can afford it and don't look at the project as $X.XX=XXXwhp, I would totally recommend it. I spent a lot of money for 322whp, but now I can go spend $700 on valvetrain and a cam and make 50whp with ease. That is where the real payback is other than the looks people give you.

The only reason I would not recommend it is that every shop I have seen do this swap has done an average job in my opinion. Those who I have talked to who had a shop do the swap for them have generally been less than pleased with the service and quality they received. Not saying they don't love their cars because I am sure they do. It's just that the people I have talked with who have had swaps from Sikky or Hinson were not entirely pleased for one reason or another.

I personally was going to go with a Sikky kit but they failed to return my phone call numerous times so I said "F" it and made my own.
I love my SIKKY swap. JE Import Performance/Sikky performed the install their quality and attention to details is top notch. I also had problems with Hinson not returning calls or answering any of my questions. It seemed that unless I was willing to ship my car to Hinson's with a blank check they didn't want anything to do with me.
the Sikky 350z kit was still in the prototype and testing phase while my swap was being performed at JE Import Performance. JE was extremely professional throughout entire procedure and always kept me well informed as to the cost when they thought is might matter. It should also be noted that they absolutely stand behind their work.

I 100% agree with Quamen about being realistic with your goals. He spent a lot of time and money to get 322+hp (sure they'll be a lot more to come). If his goals were to simply make 4, 5, 600hp then he could have easily done that with the VQ for half the money and time. Now he can achieve the same power level from a more reliable platform for less money. Parts are way cheaper for the LS then they are for the VQ. Have you ever priced a set of CNC heads and cams for a VQ? Ever seen a Heads and Cam combo in a VQ make 100+rwhp?

Love the swap Quamen. You can be my wing-man anytime. LOL
Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

The only reason I would not recommend it is that every shop I have seen do this swap has done an average job in my opinion. Those who I have talked to who had a shop do the swap for them have generally been less than pleased with the service and quailty they received. Not saying they don't love their cars because I am sure they do. It's just that the people I have talked with who have had swaps from Sikky or Hinson were not entirely pleased for one reason or another.

Thank you for that. I was looking at going with a standard vortech kit, but also wanted something different and potential to increase power "easy".

Very nice work again and wish you were closer

Chris
Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Quamen

Started the winter drag build V3.1!

Goal is lighten the car and get it under 3000lbs wet without driver. I will also be adding some safety items and things like a differential brace in order to help improve my reliability and times at the track. Started in the back half by stripping the interior. Going to start removing the tar and sound deadening this weekend and then move onto under the dash and the front end.

I have some drag slicks and wheels on the way also. Seats and harnesses will be in along with a fuel cell and hopefully a 100-shot of nitrous soon!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
bbs350z

^looks like my track car! take it you found that super sweet random weight bolted to the hatch lol
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by bbs350z
^looks like my track car! take it you found that super sweet random weight bolted to the hatch lol
I got what my father-in-law calls "a fit of inspiration" in which I bit the bullet and pounded out the work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z33Art V3.0-LS1/TH400 Swap