Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2 step launch install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM
350ZYZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 step launch install

I recently bought a kp tech. 2 step launch control system for my 03 z. i have searched over and over and cannot find a diy of any sort, just people talking about the install. so i need help. i think that i heard all the wires necessary can be found in the engine bay harness near the battery. i need a 12v supply that reads 12v when key is "on" and "crank" position, i need the throttle position sensor, (-) relay coil output, (-) transistor base output, clutch status input, fuel injector signal, and a ground. if anyone has done this and or can help me point out any of these wires that would be extremely helpful. feel free to post pictures too oh and please dont say "you dont know anything and will mess something up" or "take it to a shop".. i dont wanna spend 100+ dollars for this and i am familiar with wiring, i simply just need help pointing out the right wires haha thanks in advance for any help
Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

KP Tech is really good about installation instructions. I'm surprised that 1) it didn't come with any 2) the website doesn't have any.

Hint: Look above the "Add To Cart" button.
Attached Thumbnails 2 step launch install-snap.jpg  

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 03-19-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

BTW - did you look through these for help or hints?

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...h-control.html

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ch-2-step.html

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ft-module.html

https://my350z.com/forum/north-east/...-to-our-z.html

https://my350z.com/forum/product-ann...ft-module.html

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...h-control.html
Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 PM
350ZYZZ

well i ended up just taking it to a local performance shop and even they are struggling to install it. the instructions suck terribly. this is just turning into a huge pita.. the install should be able no more than a couple hours but its been at the shop for like 4 and they have to keep it over night so they can contact kp tech in the morning
Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
KPierson_

The only "difficult" part of the installation should be finding the correct wire to cut for the two step control. Since one circuit powers all coils if you don't cut the wire in the correct place you will not have total control of the motor which will make the two step not hold RPM well. The wire loops all around the motor but is typically found on the passenger side towards the front. Once the wire is cut it is a good idea to verify that no coils have power before continuing.

The TPS can be grabbed at the ECU, along with the fuel injector wire, 12v and ignition feeds.

The relay coil out and the transistor base out connect to the supplied relay, as per the instructions.

The Clutch status signal needs to be ran to the clutch and connected to the switch that breaks as soon as the clutch is pushed down (not the interlock at the bottom of travel). If your Z does not have cruise control you will need to add a switch.

Ground can be grounded directly to the body of the car, typically in the passengers kick near the ECU.

Due to the universal compatibility of this module and the fact that literally every year is different for each make we can't supply step by step instructions for this type of module. We supply all installation instructions before purchasing any product from us so you have an idea of what you are getting. Additionally we offer a no questions asked return policy if you can't get the module installed.

You can download the service manual for your car at www.nicoclub.com/FSM/ - this will help tremendously.

Lastly, my wife and I had a baby less then 12 hours ago - I will try my best to check Email throughout the day so have the shop Email me if they have specific questions.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My installer used the FSM to locate wires and had zero issues installing it. The only problem we had was the wiring on the module itself being wrong; had to be corrected by switching around the wires in the white molex. Kevin was quick to reply to our email and we got it resolved the next day.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM
350ZYZZ

thank you for those posts, but i have one more question.. i bought the part off a guy on craigslist and all it came with was the big black box that had the seven or so wires coming from it. the shop is saying its missing a relay? from what i read in the instructions the other relay is for the no lift shift, which i am only wanting the launch control. so should i have two peices or just the one? thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
KPierson_

That would explain why two of the wires didn't make sense to you. Yes, it is supposed to have a custom made "hybrid relay" with it - it is a normal SPDT Automotive relay with a switching transistor mounted to it. The theory of operation is that the 30A automotive relay actually cuts power to the coils and the small, much quicker and more stable transistor turns the coils back on on a coil by coil basis based on timing.

If you only wanted the speed shift feature all you would need is the relay, however since you want the two step you will need the entire hybrid relay. My advice would be to contact the person you purchased it from and see if they still have the hybrid relay. Every one we sell ships with the hybrid relay.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM
350ZYZZ

Originally Posted by KPierson_
That would explain why two of the wires didn't make sense to you. Yes, it is supposed to have a custom made "hybrid relay" with it - it is a normal SPDT Automotive relay with a switching transistor mounted to it. The theory of operation is that the 30A automotive relay actually cuts power to the coils and the small, much quicker and more stable transistor turns the coils back on on a coil by coil basis based on timing.

If you only wanted the speed shift feature all you would need is the relay, however since you want the two step you will need the entire hybrid relay. My advice would be to contact the person you purchased it from and see if they still have the hybrid relay. Every one we sell ships with the hybrid relay.
lol this makes much more sense now.. but i just contacted him and he doesnt have it. i went onto the kp tech website and saw under accesories there is a relay for 9.99, im just unsure if this is the relay i need. if not is there any way i can special order one? thanks a lot and congrats on your newborn

oh and ONE more thing (haha sorry) since my z is a base model without cruise control, how do i hook up a new switch? do i need to buy an oem cruise control system or something?

Last edited by 350ZYZZ; 03-23-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM
KPierson_

No, it is not the same relay. We don't offer the hybrid relay for sale through our site as no one has ever needed to buy one. I will have to get pricing together and add it.

Typically, Z owners that don't have cruise control get the cruise switch out of a Z at a junkyard. It would be possible to buy the OEM part. I believe if you buy it at the junkyard they'll let you cut the harness off for the switch, something that you won't be able to do with an OEM switch.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,594 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Base Zs have the harness for all the switches.

Several of us have cruise in our base Zs.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...market-bs.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...oem-parts.html
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM
350ZYZZ

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Base Zs have the harness for all the switches.

Several of us have cruise in our base Zs.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...market-bs.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video...oem-parts.html
so you are saying i would just need to purchase the switch then it can be wired right in?

and Kpierson, just let me know as soon as possible and thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

I just bought the switches, their harnesses were hanging, I plugged them in. Then I went to my UPREV tuner who tried 2 files before my car had cruise. Cruise worked 100% but I did not have the lights in the cluster so I got a cluster from a car with cruise and now have everything.

Look above the temp gauge, you will see the cruise lights on my base.
Name:  fc108d8b.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  117.1 KB

Last edited by e30cabrio; 03-23-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM
350ZYZZ

thats awesome man! if i had the uprev i would definitely be doing this haha. but the other day i did notice an unnecessary blue connector hanging above my clutch pedal so that must be it.. but im wondering whether i will need JUST the switch down on the pedal and wire the 2 step into it or do i need the actual button that is on the steering wheel?.. hmmmm
Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

If you have any intake or exhaust mods a tune is beneficial. I believe UPREV may be offering a flash to add CC for less than a tune you might want to contact them.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:08 AM
350ZYZZ

true, i more than likely will be getting a tune down the road but for now i dont need to. so any idea on whether i would need just the clutch switch or the clutch switch plus the steering wheel covers to install the 2 step? is this so that you can turn it on and off or is it just signaling something for the module?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

I can't speak to the two step. I had not heard of it until this thread but I can say until I had the file that gave me cruise UPREV maps could not be switched because the computer did not "see" the switches.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZYZZ
true, i more than likely will be getting a tune down the road but for now i dont need to. so any idea on whether i would need just the clutch switch or the clutch switch plus the steering wheel covers to install the 2 step? is this so that you can turn it on and off or is it just signaling something for the module?
All the 2step needs is the top clutch switch so it knows when the clutch is up and down. It doesn't require actual cruise control.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM
KPierson_

djamps is correct - you just need the switch. The switch is used to activate both the "speed shift" and "two step" features.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:51 PM
350ZYZZ

KPierson, im sure you are very busy but i am just making sure you got my PM. I need a price and a way to get that relay asap, im trying to install it before IA in less than a month! thanks.

Quick Reply: 2 step launch install