Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT Light Flywheel & Clutch Pre-Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 07:20 PM
KJY9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up JWT Light Flywheel & Clutch Pre-Review

This afternoon I had the JWT light flywheel and clutch installed at Crawford Z Car in Nashville.
I read in a couple of threads here (not naming names), that the JWT light flywheel and Z33 Clutch did not mate up properly.
Let me put that first unfounded rumor to rest.
Not only do they mate up and work properly, but they do so in an awesome manner.
Initial feel of the pressure of the pedal is somewhat lighter than my stock setup was. I'm told that the pressure might increase with time, but for now, it's smooth, crisp and grips like none I've yet to experience.
It's a very streetable combination, yet will require a bit of getting used to on inititial launch.
When you let the clutch out at low or high rpms, when it grabs, it grabs and doesn't let go.
RPMs rev faster due to to the light flywheel (held both the stock and JWT in my hands and the difference in weight is more than noticeable).
Scratching the tires in the first three gears is an easy task and will also take some getting used to.
Weather providing I'll be taking it to the track this Sunday and will post more after a day of beating it up some on the 1/4m.
Thanks to the guys at Crawford once again for doing great work at a great price!
Old 02-26-2004, 07:27 PM
MCopare

awesome news man...
Old 02-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Nismo lightweight flywheel and performance clutch in my car, and have found the combination to be spectacular, so much so that anytime somebody has to drop the unit to replace the clutch anyway, it should be a no brainer to upgrade to the Nismo clutch and flywheel.
The only real question is whether they should consider taking it up to the next step, such as the JWT class at 14lbs. I was very concerned about streetability and noise at idle with the clutch out, and grinding "cement mixer" noise at below 2500rpms under load. But having driven the Nismo unit now for several months, my reconsideration would be to go more aggressive and opt for the JWT and the extra performance.
Look forward to hearing about how it works for you on the track. In particular, the ability to move the revs up quickly should be a significant advantage and improvement for the road courses. It probably won't be that huge a benefit on the quarter mile, but match it up with an LSD and your performance in the turns should really improve.
Have fun.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:45 PM
KJY9

Forgot to add....when pulling in a higher gear at low rpms, the sound is very light, something akin to shaking rice in a can.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:53 PM
zimbo

SWEET! My JWT combo is on a brown truck right now and should be here on Monday. How many hours labor for the install?

--Steve
Old 02-26-2004, 08:07 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by zimbo
SWEET! My JWT combo is on a brown truck right now and should be here on Monday. How many hours labor for the install?

--Steve
How many hours it took and what I was charged are two different numbers.
I can say that my dealer quoted me $350.00 to install it.
I chose to have CrawfordZ install it because they've always done great work on my ride
Old 02-27-2004, 07:18 AM
TheBigShow

i can't wait to do these mods. probly do a jun flywheel; however, but mayb the jwt clutch.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:43 AM
o snap its eric

i really wanna see how the jwt cement mixer sound like.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:11 AM
dollar99

I can't wait for my JWT, I think I'm the first person trying the new ACT clutch as well, I'll post a review.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:37 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by o snap its eric
i really wanna see how the jwt cement mixer sound like.
LOL it's really not bad at all. I did notice today that when the car is in neutral and the clutch is out, there is an even slighter noise, and it took awhile before I heard it
Old 02-27-2004, 03:48 PM
L.A. Roadster

Thumbs up

I just got home from Performance Nissan with a brand new JWT clutch/flywheel. Jason had my car done in a matter of hours. I was very nervous that it would be loud, and unruly...NOT SO!!!! The sound is a little deeper, but unless you have the radio off you won't notice. I don't hear sounds even remotely similar to a cement mixer.

I also drove the car home in fine Los Angeles traffic, I had no problem adapting to the new setup.

The car feels a lot more responsive, even when braking!
Old 02-27-2004, 04:09 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by L.A. Roadster
I just got home from Performance Nissan with a brand new JWT clutch/flywheel. Jason had my car done in a matter of hours. I was very nervous that it would be loud, and unruly...NOT SO!!!! The sound is a little deeper, but unless you have the radio off you won't notice. I don't hear sounds even remotely similar to a cement mixer.

I also drove the car home in fine Los Angeles traffic, I had no problem adapting to the new setup.

The car feels a lot more responsive, even when braking!
Go about 15 miles an hour and put it in 3rd gear , gently add pressure to the gas pedal. You'll hear what people are describing as "cement mixer". You're right, it's not loud as people say it is, but it is there
Old 02-27-2004, 04:55 PM
L.A. Roadster

Lightbulb

Ah, I see what you mean. It's still pretty minimal. I have yet to hear it under normal driving conditions.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:06 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by L.A. Roadster
Ah, I see what you mean. It's still pretty minimal. I have yet to hear it under normal driving conditions.
LOL like I said, it's not what people have made it out to be.
Kind of like someone shaking some rice in a can...low decibles
Old 02-27-2004, 08:38 PM
phile

Leave it to us to exaggerate the **** out of something!
Many are just sensiive from getting screwed over with the tranny problems...