My turn for a TILTON Flywheel/Clutch Assy

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 06:03 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My turn for a TILTON Flywheel/Clutch Assy

Let me start this out by saying... OH MY GOD!!! This is what my car was missing! I had one last year when they first came out... lived with it for about 3 weeks and had it pulled out because it was NOT a street clutch. So I was a bit appprehensive to do this all over again. After driving Jason's car I had a change of heart. I'm soooo happy with this as a street clutch. I'm now a convert and will stop bashing Tilton's for the street. This is 100% streetable now. With all the mod's on my car I could break the wheels free in 2nd if I was hammering on the car.... now if I'm just crusing along and hammer the throttle it's instant wheel spin for as long as I can hold it or the car hit's it's 7400rpm rev limit (thanks T/S). From about 3500rpm up to the rev limiter is where I notice my biggest gain, as the engine spins so much easier now. Damn high gas prices....... it will be impossable to drive without my foot into it at all times..

Last edited by Jeff@Performance; 04-16-2004 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:08 AM
wakaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff, what was the difference between the clutch that you had in your car, and the one that Jason has in now?

How much for the street setup?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:08 AM
PoWeRtRiP

i want to hear more about this 7400 rpm limit? what can the vq handle as far as rpms and with what work required?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Diesel350

Is a flywheel/clutch assembly that is this light effective at the drag strip? Or will you have an extremely difficult time launching with such a light setup?
Old 04-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have some sticky tires this would be good on the drag strip.... I have to launch at idle... but, in the times I have gone I have improved my 60foot times.. they are still not as low as I would like... but until I can get some rear slick's or get the car to launch above idle speed they are going to stay where they are at 2.0XX

but... on a road track, drift track, or canyon run... this flywheel / clutch set up is the cats meow...

I had this out on the track last week, shifting was as free as a bird and able to shift faster then I could think... I was able to spin 3rd gear...

as far as the 7400RPM limit... Jeff had that requested... they do NOT recomend doing that... Jeff has another motor waiting to be put in his z... he is purposly trying to blow up his motor...
Old 04-16-2004, 12:36 PM
TheBigShow

man, i wish i could test this out. i'm very interested.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:40 PM
aalzuhair

Default Re: My turn for a TILTON Flywheel/Clutch Assy

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Let me start this out by saying... OH MY GOD!!! This is what my car was missing! I had one last year when they first came out... lived with it for about 3 weeks and had it pulled out because it was NOT a street clutch. So I was a bit appprehensive to do this all over again. After driving Jason's car I had a change of heart. I'm soooo happy with this as a street clutch. I'm now a convert and will stop bashing Tilton's for the street. This is 100% streetable now. With all the mod's on my car I could break the wheels free in 2nd if I was hammering on the car.... now if I'm just crusing along and hammer the throttle it's instant wheel spin for as long as I can hold it or the car hit's it's 7400rpm rev limit (thanks T/S). From about 3500rpm up to the rev limiter is where I notice my biggest gain, as the engine spins so much easier now. Damn high gas prices....... it will be impossable to drive without my foot into it at all times..
Do you guys like clean the whole thing before taking any pictures, your car looks toooooooo clean
Old 04-16-2004, 12:42 PM
hfm

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
he is purposly trying to blow up his motor...
LOL! Knowing that Nissan Internal reads these forums, I know that you were just joking.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:12 PM
nuttyprof

i want to do this, but how streetable is this? is it harder to just get going regularly? kinda skeptical about that. and dude, what about hills, gonna have to peel out on all hills from now on or what?
Old 04-16-2004, 05:43 PM
3rdpower

This is decidingly my next mod - I just sold my JUN flywheel.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Dth288

Default Re: My turn for a TILTON Flywheel/Clutch Assy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
[B]Let me start this out by saying... OH MY GOD!!! This is what my car was missing! I had one last year when they first came out... lived with it for about 3 weeks and had it pulled out because it was NOT a street clutch. So I was a bit appprehensive to do this all over again. After driving Jason's car I had a change of heart. I'm soooo happy with this as a street clutch. I'm now a convert and will stop bashing Tilton's for the street. This is 100% streetable now. With all the mod's on my car I could break the wheels free in 2nd if I was hammering on the car.... now if I'm just crusing along and hammer the throttle it's instant wheel spin for as long as I can hold it or the car hit's it's 7400rpm rev limit (thanks T/S). From about 3500rpm up to the rev limiter is where I notice my biggest gain, as the engine spins so much easier now. Damn high gas prices....... it will be impossable to drive without my foot into it at all times..

does this mean your going to hit Irwindale anytime soon to try it out????
Old 04-17-2004, 07:12 AM
mofoz

thats amazing. first one to blow up his motor wins!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:18 AM
TheBigShow

Originally posted by 3rdpower
This is decidingly my next mod - I just sold my JUN flywheel.
post a review; like we need to ask, right ?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:21 AM
joenismo

Default Tilton

I ordered mine on thursday, should have it by this tuesday. It is going in with my new transmission next week. I will keep you posted also.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nutty...

come by and drive my car!
Old 04-18-2004, 04:22 PM
scz

By "streetable clutch" do you mean that you are using the carbon/carbon clutch that is rediculously expensive, or the clutch that you used to have with your tilton is better now. I really want to know how it is on hills since I live in LA. I live in santa monica so there arent many hills but up in hollywood there are a few that wouold kill me on a half way streetable clutch.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:19 PM
bigern1970

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
nutty...

come by and drive my car!
Dude how much of this can you write off.....hey jason can i test drive your car.........................to VEGAS.........lol
Old 04-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by scz
By "streetable clutch" do you mean that you are using the carbon/carbon clutch that is rediculously expensive, or the clutch that you used to have with your tilton is better now. I really want to know how it is on hills since I live in LA. I live in santa monica so there arent many hills but up in hollywood there are a few that wouold kill me on a half way streetable clutch.
I'm using the standard rally disc, not carbon. Although very streetable. . now that I've had mine for a few days, I'm starting to get the hang of this thing. It is a 100% streetable clutch on flat ground. Hills are another story. If I get ahead of myself and start thinking about it too much... I will stall it on uphill launches. What happens is the car revs too fast! When you try to let up the clutch on a uphill incline from a stop, the load on the car takes more throttle than it would take on the flat. Since this revs so quick when you tap the throttle, when you let out the cltch the car lurches forward so you lift your foot off the gas and the car stalls. I'm getting to the point of not stalling on hills.... BUT, you need to really pay attention to your pedal control. Not sure I would recommend this yet for a very hilly area. On the plus side... .this car hauls butt when you drop the hammer!!!

Last edited by Jeff@Performance; 04-18-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:57 PM
phile

Yeah, my car is totally stock and it feels really slow lately. It's weird, my gf's little jetta can get to 40 (city driving speed) pretty damned quick, and the car doesn't really rev at all (and it's only a 4 banger). When I follow behind her, I bring my Z to about 4k RPMs in 1st, 2nd, etc and in all it's loud throaty glory, it feels like it's going nowhere. I wonder why? I mean cmon it's not a honda motor...what's the deal? Sometimes it feels fast, sometimes it feels slow as ****.

Anyways, I want to get a bike first, but after that I think this will be my first mod for the Z.