Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

SNAGGED: RSR Exmag GT II...doh!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:09 AM
zpeed350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by vics350
Rob, sorry to hear this. I know how much you really like the sound of the RSR.

I'm curious what happens when you go to the DMV. Keep us posted and good luck.
Hey Victor, I will definately keep everyone posted. It was absolutely pooring on Satruday morning, and from what I read the test can't be done in the rain. On top of that I lost power in my apt so I didn't make it over to DMV on Sat. I should be able to get there tues. or wed. mornign.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:04 AM
zpeed350

Thumbs down DMV Results...

UPDATE time...

I went to the DMV on Saturday to get inspected. The inspector took out his SPL meter and explained to me that it was set at 74 db's and couldn't be adjusted and that when we did the test I couldn't peg the needle.

I kept the silencers in the exhaust and he walked 50 feet behind the car. I had to rev the engine to 3500 rpms' and then let it go. We did that a couple times and he came back to the car and let me know that I failed the test. My readings came in over 78 dbs.

I can't believe the treshold for noise emission is so low! A normal conversation among two people registers at 70db, it's crazy.

I now have the Sport Z magainze that shows the stock db reading at 81 @ idle, and 89 revved.

So technically the stock exhaust would fail too. Back to court on the 18th. It doesn't look good.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:19 PM
MrGoingdown305

Man thats horrible! So what are the consequences?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:32 PM
zpeed350

Originally posted by MrGoingdown305
Man thats horrible! So what are the consequences?
From what I've heard....$150.00 fine and/or taking it off and putting the stock one back on.

If that happens, I am going to show the prosecuter the magazine article (hopefully he cares) and try and talk him into letting me get the stock one tested at the DMV as well.

That way when it fails the law will look really stupid....
Old 10-20-2004, 12:38 PM
zpeed350

So here's the deal...I had my court date on Monday.

I show up early and get called up rather quickly. The prosecuter asked me for my inspection paperwork and so I gave it to him. He began reading it to himself and then started mumbling as he read. He became audible at the end, "over 78 db max". I was like jeez this isn't going to be good.

He looks up at me, hands me the slip back and says, ok you're all set! I was shocked. I looked at him and said, that's it...we're all set...he said yep and I left quickly before I could start smirking.

I think he read the slip incorrectly. The slip was never marked pass or fail, just "over 78db max."

So I figure I got really lucky, or the whole thing is so silly he let me go. But either way I got off scott-free!!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:24 PM
ReavTek

Originally posted by zpeed350
So here's the deal...I had my court date on Monday.

I show up early and get called up rather quickly. The prosecuter asked me for my inspection paperwork and so I gave it to him. He began reading it to himself and then started mumbling as he read. He became audible at the end, "over 78 db max". I was like jeez this isn't going to be good.

He looks up at me, hands me the slip back and says, ok you're all set! I was shocked. I looked at him and said, that's it...we're all set...he said yep and I left quickly before I could start smirking.

I think he read the slip incorrectly. The slip was never marked pass or fail, just "over 78db max."

So I figure I got really lucky, or the whole thing is so silly he let me go. But either way I got off scott-free!!
HAHAHAAH!!!

Import Community: 1
Popo : 0

F---ing cops need to go stop murders and bank robberies instead of writing up bs tickets. When I had my Mustang GT with X pipes and no cats it was friggin so loud alarms would go off 3 car lengths away! Not a single problem with cops. Then I get my Z and am harassed 24/7... One even had the audacity to call it a "little jap ricer"! I hate those bastards!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:46 PM
kzshin

do you think some they discriminate against cars??? I think they do. I have seen truck, stang, vette, old hot rod with loud exhuast that has no problem with cops. But as long as you have something that made in Japan. you get in troubl.