Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

All Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 09:11 PM
HankVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Wheel Drive

Just curious but now that the 05' G35 is coming out AWD how difficult/expensive would it be to convert the Z?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:23 PM
G35sDriver

...expensive enough that you wouldn't even think about doing. Or, expensive enough that its cheaper to just buy a NEW AWD G. Besides why would you want AWD? Its slower than the RWD versions.

BTW Due to the extreme amount of fabrication required, I don't think anyone could even begin to imagine a ballpark figure.

Last edited by G35sDriver; 10-13-2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:27 PM
HankVQ

Not thinking about doing it and no thanks I'd rather have my Z but I was just curious. Also I was looking for a little more specific info on what is involved.

Last edited by HankVQ; 10-13-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:38 PM
G35sDriver

Originally posted by HankVQ
Not thinking about doing it and no thanks I'd rather have my Z but I was just curious. Also I was looking for a little more specific info on what is involved.
LOL, gotcha. Well I can't give you the full details, but I do know that you require a new tranny (im 99% sure), and you have to lift the whole car up, in order to move the drivetrain out. In fact the engine MIGHT be postioned in a diffrent angle altogether.

The experts can tell you more.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:46 PM
HankVQ

Yeah I know the tranny would have to go but thats as far as my knowledge goes as well. Top Secret has an all wheel drive 350z and they don't build anything that's slow so I started thinking. Also, I"m speaking for high horsepower such as forced induction. The all wheel drive would get better traction therefore faster times.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Aren't the AWD G's auto's? If so that'd be one hurdle to get around, considering the relation between the Z & G35, I'd assume it would bea matter of bolting it on with minor modifications maybe. But I think you'd be more stuck in cost of the part more than anything. Brand new drive-train parts will proly run you upwards of like 8k, no to even count labor. If you could have a standard AWD Z, it sure as hell wouldnt be slow. I'd think it'd drop a good .3 off of a stock Z's time. Made that with TT's and you'd have one helluva sweet "skyline"
Old 10-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Orange Peel

well all wheel drive would make you a lot slower at high speeds, and also you would have to change your gearing, actually that all will be g35 gearing, so forget I said that.

I think the stock transmission cannot be changed because stick is ideal auto would suck, no launching at all.

I think you would have to fabricate some stuff. They already have all wheel drive rally 350z's I saw a picture of one in a magazine, forgot which one or company.

The company did use g35 systems and also was japanese. But it seems very expensive, and there would be no adjustablity of tourque distribution.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:41 PM
phoenixZ33

Most of the AWD Z's coming out of Japan are using the RB26DETT engine and drivetrain. If you don't have to worry about building a street car, you can hack any car apart to make a Skyline drivetrain fit. All I think about when adding AWD to a Z, is what a 3600lb Z would feel like!