Notices

Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:36 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get a pump like _jb showed at Sears. Also saw them at Harbor Freight cheaper (go figure) but the Sears one seems like it comes with more tubes and adapters and stuff with it. If you can clean it somehow after using it they have many uses. Can't say how it works yet but would not attempt the tranny without something like it.
When I did the diff last year I went with Amsoil so I just ordered the $12 bottle pump they offer. It screws onto the bottle and you just pump it like a bottle of hand soap and it works great down to the last few drops in the bottle!
Didn't see any pump responses so I thought I would give my $0.02. Hopefully having to do rear brakes next weekend will motivate me to do the tranny. Having a new car gets you out of the mood to work on them anymore I think. Just the simplest thing sounds like work again after not spending so much time under an old one fixing it.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by cavallino33
I think I'll be smelling gear oil for a week though.
+1. Smells like crap...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
WhiteNoiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When changing the transmission and diff. fluid, does the washer need to be replaced for the fill holes as well as the drain? The reason I ask is I only ordered new ones for the drain plugs.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
When changing the transmission and diff. fluid, does the washer need to be replaced for the fill holes as well as the drain? The reason I ask is I only ordered new ones for the drain plugs.
honestly the washers should still be good and reusable.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
Thank you.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
VO...
Administrator

+1
Old 01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
coachk
Banned

Just changed my diff fluid last night and the crush washers were just fine.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 AM
WhiteNoiz

Just thought I would report back. Great thread, made it much easier! The hardest part was trying to get it all jacked up without using the front jack points, cause they suck. I drove up a pair of ramps, used the center jack point and a hydrolic jack to lift the front, worked GREAT. I put a couple jack stands on each side of the jack under some metal supports to be safe. Used a second hydrolic jack (just happen to have 2) to raise the back using the "pumpkin", placed some jack stands on the rear jack points (they dont suck) and lowered the car down on the rear jack stands. I made sure the car was level. I used 2x4 between my hydrolic jacks and the car so there was no damage to the car. I had to use a shot hammer to break free the drain, and fill plugs for the tranny and the diff.

Tranny took about 3.5qts
Diff took 1.5qts

Result:
Much smoother shifting, and it may be in my head, but clean fluids clear down the drivetrain made the car feel faster, less resistant.

Thanks all!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:15 AM
VO...
Administrator

Just thought I would report back.

Result:
Much smoother shifting, and it may be in my head, but clean fluids clear down the drivetrain made the car feel faster, less resistant.

Thanks all!
Sweet.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Accordaleer

Seems like a good thread, havent seen any argueing, just people helping other people even if the same question was asked already. Very rare and nice lol. I may do this tomorrow, It's suppose to be 20 out... Wind chill is 5 atm, just vaccumed out my air filters and made a rip or 2. Guess I may buy the K&N. So I'm not so sure. I bought mobile 1 75w 90. It's a shame they dont make this scent into an air freshener. Anyway just to confirm, with mobil 1, you dont need an additive, correct? Also, I dont have a torque wrench and im not incredible hulk strong, so how would you advise I torque the diff bolts down. I may have to rely on a not so good friend to help me out. I'de assume tighten it, then maybe one more turn? If not let me know, thanks .

Pump, 2 quarts of mobile one 30 bucks. Dealership wanted 60 just for labor + extra for oil.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Accordaleer

By the way, there any point of replacing Automatic fluid with something better? Only have about 14k miles on it, but since im doing the diff and oil again next week, was just wondering. Someone mentioned I may have burnt up some fluid when I killed my last tires doing lotta burnouts, etc.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Accordaleer

Read all 13 pages, just curious why is nissans diff fluid "Genuine Nissan Synthetic Diff Fluid 75w140", and were using 75w 90.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:07 PM
bjr

The pump I used to do the transmission worked but only if the oil bottle was a little higher than the tranny. It did work good though. It's a Mighty Vac pump like the red one pictured in this thread and I got it at Sears. It technically is a syphon pump so it doesn't work as nice as the Amsoil bottle pump. The pumping action is to just get it flowing then it should flow by itself. I put the fill hose in the tranny and brought the pump out to the side of the car at floor level and put the oil bottle on a stool and if I would keep pumping it went right in fine. I was uncomfortable with the tranny fluid warnings to use a compatable oil on the MT so I went with official Nissan tranny fluid in the service manual.
Both when I did this and a while back when I did the rear they both took a little more than the manual says. 3.5qt and 1.5qt. The occasional slight notch feeling going into 3rd disappeared for me. Smooth as new. I thought I was failing to push down the clutch to the floor or timing when I was tired in the morning but I should have known after 15 years of driving stick it was not me. I also flushed the clutch fluid when I was under there but I'm pretty sure it was the tranny fluid change.

If you are saving money by doing this yourself Accordaleer can you spare another $50-$75 or so and get yourself a torque wrench? You'll have it for the rest of your life and should be used to put your wheel nuts back on too so you don't have your wheels fall back off from undertightening or warp your rotors from overtightening. Give it some thought! A lot of times working on your own car takes somewhat relatively expensive tools up front but they are one time expenses and you will still be miles ahead in the long run.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Accordaleer

I totally hear ya, I've been dieing to change my diff fluid. Idk why lol, and I dont get paid until next week. To be honest anything I've ever done hasnt required a torque wrench. I plan on picking one up but hours at work got cut in half literally. Might have fixed that but I just bought the stuff last night and im excited to do something tomorrow lol.

I've never taken wheels off(cept spare for a friend), brakes, nothing like that. Cosmetic stuff really. I have simple plans for my car, oem spoiler, nismo exhaust, maybe tp. All do it yourself stuff. And drop in K&N's lol.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 AM
bjr

Originally Posted by Accordaleer
I totally hear ya, I've been dieing to change my diff fluid. Idk why lol, and I dont get paid until next week. To be honest anything I've ever done hasnt required a torque wrench. I plan on picking one up but hours at work got cut in half literally. Might have fixed that but I just bought the stuff last night and im excited to do something tomorrow lol.

I've never taken wheels off(cept spare for a friend), brakes, nothing like that. Cosmetic stuff really. I have simple plans for my car, oem spoiler, nismo exhaust, maybe tp. All do it yourself stuff. And drop in K&N's lol.
Hard to say becuase I used a torque wrench that has a pretty long handle on it. I'd guess no more torque than an oil drain plug? Can you look up the torque on that and compare it to the diff or tranny plug? If you don't have a service manual I'll look it up at lunch time for you.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:00 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Read all 13 pages, just curious why is nissans diff fluid "Genuine Nissan Synthetic Diff Fluid 75w140", and were using 75w 90.
Other Nissan vehicles may require the 75W-140 fluid, but the Z does not.

my service manual states API GL-5 SAE 80W-90 for the diff.
page 9-2 of 2004 service manual.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

By the way, there any point of replacing Automatic fluid with something better? Only have about 14k miles on it, but since im doing the diff and oil again next week, was just wondering. Someone mentioned I may have burnt up some fluid when I killed my last tires doing lotta burnouts, etc.
You can only use the Nissan Matic J ATF in the automatic transmissions.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Accordaleer

Think its worth a replacement? I did some hardcore shredding of my tires the night before I got rid of them. Like I said someone said I may have burnt up a little tranny fluid or damaged it. If its just a drain and fill I wouldnt mind. Nice knowing you have fresh fluids in the car.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
coachk
Banned

You can only use the Nissan Matic J ATF in the automatic transmissions.
Thats all I've ever used for tranny fluid....diff fluid went with Redline 75w 90 5GL. Don't know the torque specs on the diff plug, I just tightened it until it was snug. No Leaks
Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Accordaleer

Well, went out and bought the 10mm hex. Said screw paying to have it done since i already bought the pump, plus diy is much more fun. Its 22 out, feels like 15 with chill, etc. I threw on rubber gloves from work (ER) and got to work. I fit under the rear fine. The drain plug came off easily, no hammer or breaker. Nice mud came out. Put plug back in the the way it felt coming off. Filled the diff with nice amber oil. Took most of the 2 quarts. Dribbled out, cleaned up and put the plug back on. The drain plug had sludge and shaving on it like most said, cleaned it off. Neither was crushed, not sure why they would be, maybe the mt one you guys mention. Didnt get dirty except rubbing my nose on the muffler, almost got frostbite, hands were beat red and stinging. Gonna go for a drive and waste my time looking for filters for my 07. Scale 2/10. Guess ill go drive my nasty oil to pep boys.

Used mobile 1 75w 90 btw. 10 bucks a quart.

Last edited by Accordaleer; 01-21-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing the Differential / Transmission Oil