Notices

My DIY catch can.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM
mattman87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My DIY catch can.

My car posts impressive numbers for bolt-ons only so im gonna pretend someone was interested in whether or not my oil catch can helps. I'll show you why mine is unique and pretend best.

Things you'll need IN ORDER:

A scotch-brite stainless steel scrubbing pad.

These are one continuous piece of metal. Stainless steel deteriorates at a far slower rate. I'm not saying it won't rust or corrode in motor oil, but it sure won't in the span of an oil change. It is used as "baffling" to increase the surface area the oil filled vapors whack into (and hopefully condensate on) before heading back to the plenum.

A set of silver buckyballs.

http://www.the-buckyballs.com/g/neoc...etic-*****-7mm

While intended for stress-relief and entertainment, these very powerful neodymium magnets are now killing kids and pets everywhere so they can be kinda hard to find. I am using some pink ones, because I felt like supporting breast cancer while being an idiot and not remembering that its some kinda paint. Anyway, in case you have a colored version like me, fear not, I soaked mine in motor oil over night to make sure it does not deteriorate. (I even sanded the color off a bit of one to see if microscopic knicks I wasn't seeing might be exacerbated after the motor oil treatment - they aren't. Get silver (unpainted). As my father always said, "Don't do as I do, do as I say."

******You need these PRIOR to your sprinkler valve selection*****

A sprinkler valve from home depot

Check out the other DIY's on this one, just make sure the oil is caught in a non-magnetic resevoir; notice, mine is caught in some thick plastic cup-thing. Bring the Buckyballs with you to the hardware store! It is essential because we want to make sure the ***** are too LARGE to fit in the escape route of the air valve back to the plenum!!!

Here is a pick of the nozzle in question. Notice I put one ball in each opening to make sure if one flies off that it will not go into the plenum :

A stainless steel aerater

Use this to cover the nozzle you are plugging into the line from the crankcase (and lock it down with the hose-clamp; it will prevent a buckyball from going into the crankcase. Also, no pic sorry

Now you'll also need some line to accomodate the extra distance to and from the catch can and some zip ties to make it look nice after all is done.

Here's where it gets interesting. Turns out these scotch-brite pads are pretty darn magnetic. Attach a small "plate" to the scrub pad.

Its now time to make a upright cylinder of the buckyballs. Ideally, you want the orientation that stacks the magnets in a square. Fitting them in a hexagonal array prior to making the cylinder probably restricts airflow a bit more - it's up to you (it will get the magnets more compact).

This is cool for a few reasons:

1) magnets are cool, these magnets modularity lends well to customization (i.e. this should work with any catch can/sprinkler valve).
2) if you've got a magnetic oil drain plug, you know there are metal shavings in that liquid, these magnets will also ionically pull the metal out of the oil that coats it (or any scrubbing pad metal that most likely will never pass through-but safe than sorry)
3) magnets can hold the scotchbrite "baffle" closer to the inlet and outlet, which probably increases the efficiency to a good degree.

I also attached a few "slip" ***** to the base of the tower. Just wanna see where they end up - in the oil/baffling or up by the port to the plenum I know the PCV is an open system but have never known what to think of the pressure changes that occur between idle and throttle (+ to - etc.) They will probably not move anywhere, but if they do - I'll know something is up.

Slip your cylinder over the valve port to the plenum....this is a pic of just 2 rows of my 6 row cylinder. Wanted to show that I'm not constricting airflow, just making a nice shell.

Insert into catch can and light ya spriff, have a beer, jerk it.

Celebrate clean air and a few less lost horses. Zip tie the lines, I personally ziptie my catch can to my strut bar, ball out with a bracket if you want. (Get a magnetic oil drain plug while you're at it, too.)

Last edited by mattman87; 01-26-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: detail about sprinkler valve
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

is this better than a 20 dollar catch can from ebay? lol GJ