DIY- Accurately checking VQ oil levels

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:41 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default DIY- Accurately checking VQ oil levels

While most people know how to use a dipstick (there's a joke there, right?), most people haven't seen a VQ35DE dipstick from our Z33s. Located on the DS near the front of the engine, that dipstick has no fewer than SIX separate bends with a serrated "read-out" area in the middle to indicate high or low oil levels. A straight dipstick, it's not (except for you lucky VQ35HR owners)!

With the influx of new Z33 owners, something as simple as checking the oil can become a difficult task. Some owners simply don't check their oil levels until it's time to change it and by then, it's far too late. The VQ is a beautiful, aluminum alloy V6 that has won many awards for engine design, but it relies on a regular supply of clean, filtered oil to lubricate its reciprocating parts and valvetrain. The oil reading can get smeared on the dipstick, making an accurate reading near impossible. When the VQ is hot, it can also be hard to read the dipstick.

But there's a method to accurately check your oil level on a regular basis:

1) Do it first thing in the morning before startup. Most of the engine oil has settled into the sump at the bottom of the engine. Even better, it's usually cold and the viscosity makes it a bit thick to stick to the dipstick.

2) After initially pulling the dipstick out, clean it with a rag or paper towel and reinsert. Pull it a second time and check the oil level again. That'll likely be your most accurate reading of the total oil level in the engine. The check valve in the (hopefully) high quality oil filter you installed will keep the filter filled up, so that shouldn't affect the total reading.

3) If the Z is new to you, it's recommended you do this on a regular basis for at least the first few weeks. If you find the oil level DROPS noticeably on the dipstick, you'll want to check it more frequently (like daily) and add oil as needed. As long as the oil level is somewhere on the dipstick, you can gauge how much to add. If the dipstick shows a full level, there's about five quarts in the system. IF it's at the minimum line, it's about four quarts. Try, TRY not to ever let the oil level go below the minimum level.

4) Overfilling a VQ is not a good idea, either. Try this method, get an accurate idea of how much oil you're using and make it a habit to continue adding some oil if needed. Keep in mind that continued high RPM running, going up hills in hot weather and other factors will put additional strain on your VQ. It's a good idea to recheck your oil level BEFORE and AFTER you take your Z to the track, for instance.

5) Rev-up owners ('06 manual Zs and Infiniti G35s) take particular note of this method and check your oil level on a regular basis. While rev-up VQs are known for their oil consumption, they can still have long and strong lives as long as their owners take a bit of care in this area.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
New2MeZ (07-09-2021), Surfer90291 (05-04-2016)
Old 04-18-2015, 05:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Race note: my '06 T3 Z uses a transplanted VQ35HR (legal under SCCA rules) for competition. Even though its dipstick is straight and easy to read, I still find the above method helps me read the dipstick more accurately at the track to monitor oil usage. First thing in the morning, it's easy to pop the hood and check the fluids before startup. Simple and effective.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:53 AM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great post, going to look at it for the first time in 7 years hahaha
Old 04-23-2015, 05:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Race rig note: after a long tow back home recently, I checked the oil level in my Titan tow rig and it seemed high. The VK56DE has a long dipstick, but it's straight and seemed to show the oil was overfilled by a quart. "That can't be right", I thought. So I waited overnight to get an accurate reading and recheck. Guess what? It was right on the "full" mark after all the oil had drained out of all the oil passages down to the sump.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:25 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My dad taught me this method before I was even old enough to drive. Didn't know people did it any other way. Haha
Old 05-01-2016, 06:50 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

It's 2016 and people are still posting new threads about this:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ipstick-2.html
Old 05-01-2016, 07:53 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

When I worked at jiffy lube a while back I hated when VQ cars would come in. Years later I own a HR and find it quite annoying to read at the track since there is no real time to let the oil drain to the bottom between sessions but I still try and hope for the best lol

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2016, 06:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
When I worked at jiffy lube a while back I hated when VQ cars would come in. Years later I own a HR and find it quite annoying to read at the track since there is no real time to let the oil drain to the bottom between sessions but I still try and hope for the best lol
After checking the oil level first thing in the morning at the track, I don't check it the rest of the day. Why bother? As long as my HR is showing an adequate oil level, it shouldn't be blowing oil even at max RPM. After racing the Z33 for almost 14 years, it's a practice that's served me well.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Your right. It's not a Honda
Old 05-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Surfer90291

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a nightmare, a real nightmare. Also make sure your dipstick corresponds to the year of the engine. There are two versions for the DE and they changed it in 2004.
There's no part # printed on the dipstick so unless you go to the stealership and compare it to the oem one you'll never know.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:26 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I recently checked the manual in my 07 and it looks like nissan recommends checking the oil when fully warmed up on the HR. I had been wondering why a new oil change of 5 quarts was reading a little below full when checking it in the morning.

Directions are to fully warm up the car, then shut off the engine and wait a minimum of 10 minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump. I waited ~15 min and it read at the full mark so it doesn't take much time.

Cold read a bit lower, maybe a 1/4-1/8 quart down from full.