Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil filter relocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Asterix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter relocation

It's time for my engine to get a filter larger than the laughably tiny one Nissan decided was sufficient. Has anyone relocated their oil filter in order to use a large filter, like the Purolator L30001? The L30001 is 2.5 times larger in volume, so without a doubt filters better. Plus, it costs less!

After looking under my car yesterday, it seems like the easiest place to put the filter is on the other side of the engine, especially since there are two unused threaded holes I can use to mount the filter bracket. I think I can route the two hoses across the front of the engine as long as I tie them down securely to keep them away from the belt.

Has anyone done this already? Where did you put the filter?

Asterix
Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What advantage will this give you over my stock design? Will it be reliable? I have seen Z's go over 100,000 miles without adding a "bigger filter," are you questioning Nissan engineers?

You will encounter more hassle and receive less benefit, if any at all.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:49 PM
redmike_02

I'm sure the size of the stock filter is fine. I you are worried about it just change it more often.

It is kind of funny though that our 3.5 v6 uses the exact same size oil filter as the 1.6 and 1.8 miata motor.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:46 PM
JonnyC

I would say the best route to go is to get the Mobil 1 M110 filter instead of the M108 (which is the stock size). It's a much longer filter and has the same threading and diameter. It beats doing a relocation kit that would probably be less safe than even the stock filter, since you introduce another point of failure.

If you're simply looking for something to do...you should install an oil cooler
Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by JonnyC
I would say the best route to go is to get the Mobil 1 M110 filter instead of the M108 (which is the stock size). It's a much longer filter and has the same threading and diameter. It beats doing a relocation kit that would probably be less safe than even the stock filter, since you introduce another point of failure.

If you're simply looking for something to do...you should install an oil cooler
If this is the 2006+ Pathfinder filter, I have also heard that it works and is much larger...
Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on m1-110 ( black one)
Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Beeker

Honda also uses one size filter for all their engines except for the NSX. In fact Honda switched to a smaller filter a few years back that replaced their original size filter. It is about the same size as the Nissan filter. I don't believe the size of the filter has anything to do with its ability to filter properly.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Asterix

A filter's efficiency is directly related to the velocity of flow through the filtering media. So, for a given flow (since our pump is most likely a positive-displacement type pump), larger area of filtering is always better. Always.

My '88 Supra can use the L30001 without any change. That's a 3-liter engine. Why should I accept a filter 2.5 times smaller on a larger engine with more power? Nissan's engineers have a very different goal than I do. Nissan's goal is for the car to last one day past warrantee. That's not my goal.

Better filtering will easily improve longevity over better cooling. Modern oils, especially synthetics, don't mind the heat. The engine will care far more about particulate-filled oil. Besides, there is a minimum temperature you should run your oil. Too cool is easily as bad as too hot.

The larger filter (Purolator L14612) that spins right on is a mere 1/2" longer, and the same diameter. Sure, it's better, but just barely. Besides, why should I pay more for a smaller filter?

Honda has always used tiny filters. That doesn't mean they're good for the owners.

If done right, a remote filter setup will easily last the life of the car. Good hose and good fittings will not present any problems. I've done that before. If I can spend a couple of hours and maybe $150 on a remote filter setup that doubles the life of the engine, why would I not do that?

Asterix
Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
SpoilsofWar

I think you are looking for fault where there is none...

You mention Honda filter specifications:

Honda has always used tiny filters. That doesn't mean they're good for the owners.
Despite the fact that Honda engines routinely outlast the car that surrounds them? I had a neighbor with an early 90's accord who didn't even change his oil - just topped it off when it got low - and the odometer was somewhere north of 300k miles when he sold it to some kid. Its probably still running, who knows, though all the body panels may have rusted away.

Its your money and time, but I think you would be just as well served by simply using quality brand filters.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:45 PM
03Tour6Spd

Ya if anything a larger filter might extend the time between filter changes but thats about it and speaking of honda filters i have one on my Z right now and my moms 2.5 altima and my dads and bros 3.5 maximas fit like a charm and there free since i work there and s2k uses a larger filter along with the nsx.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
singh

Originally Posted by Asterix
A filter's efficiency is directly related to the velocity of flow through the filtering media. So, for a given flow (since our pump is most likely a positive-displacement type pump), larger area of filtering is always better. Always.

My '88 Supra can use the L30001 without any change. That's a 3-liter engine. Why should I accept a filter 2.5 times smaller on a larger engine with more power? Nissan's engineers have a very different goal than I do. Nissan's goal is for the car to last one day past warrantee. That's not my goal.

Better filtering will easily improve longevity over better cooling. Modern oils, especially synthetics, don't mind the heat. The engine will care far more about particulate-filled oil. Besides, there is a minimum temperature you should run your oil. Too cool is easily as bad as too hot.

The larger filter (Purolator L14612) that spins right on is a mere 1/2" longer, and the same diameter. Sure, it's better, but just barely. Besides, why should I pay more for a smaller filter?

If done right, a remote filter setup will easily last the life of the car. Good hose and good fittings will not present any problems. I've done that before. If I can spend a couple of hours and maybe $150 on a remote filter setup that doubles the life of the engine, why would I not do that?

Asterix
I use to have a '98 4Runner with 175,000 miles. And let me tell you, that truck had zero malfunctions and the only maintenance was changing the oil every 3-4,000 miles. Everything was kept OEM, including the tiny OEM oil filter which I changed about every other oil change. Unfortunately, I traded the truck in at the Toyota dealer for a 2002 Sequoia. So I have no idea how it's doing now, but I'm almost hundred percent positive that 4Runner has well over 200,000 miles with still zero problems.

I'm not bashing your plans or anything, but I don't see the point of you undermining engineers.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:35 AM
JonnyC

Asterix - I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it. If it will give you more piece of mind go ahead. I would say though that the engine would be better served if you just bought the longer 110 filter and spent the $150 on an oil cooler.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Asterix

I started this thread to see if anyone had installed a remote filter. Y'all have answered my question. Thanks.

Asterix

ps my car has an oil cooler - Nissan put one on already. Why do I need another?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
TheProfessional

I started this thread to see if anyone had installed a remote filter. Y'all have answered my question. Thanks.

Asterix

ps my car has an oil cooler - Nissan put one on already. Why do I need another?
You got an oil cooler from the dealership?? You aure that's not your power steering cooler??
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

To the op:

https://my350z.com/forum/zs-and-gs-for-sale/325889-fs-2003-track-silverstone-immaculate.html
Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
You got an oil cooler from the dealership?? You aure that's not your power steering cooler??
Our cars come with an "oil cooler/warmer" from the factory since its inception.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Hoooper

i would vote mobil m1-105, considerably larger
Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Asterix

I may have found what I'm looking for. http://www.racinglab.com/greddy-oil-block-adapter.html Greddy makes an adapter, meant to add places for more pressure and temperature senders. It looks like it'll adapt the small base M20x1.5 to a large base 3/4x16. There's room in the stock location for a large filter. I almost started to design one of these, which probably would've cost me $75 from the machine shop. The cheapest I've seen it is $56. I only wonder if it'll interfere with the oil pressure sender. That may be in the way...

If it doesn't do what I want, all I have to machine is the tube with female M20x1.5 and male 3/6x16. That would run me only maybe $20 from the machinst.

Asterix
Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Filtration is good but dont go over board because someone told you to. There are many routes to go. A filter traps minute particles that as a rule are trivial. Main thing with oil is capacity. Get an oil pan and an additional cooler.

The stock filter is fine if you change your synthetic at 5000 miles or so
Old 04-25-2008, 10:40 PM
JonnyC

I only wonder if it'll interfere with the oil pressure sender. That may be in the way...
Only if you remove the stock oil cooler/warmer will you maybe have a problem. You can see here you have plenty of room though..

And about the factory oil cooler - most people who go F/I usually get an external cooler w/ radiator, so that you get more cooling compared to the stock water cooled oil cooler.