Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012 | 10:27 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by midz350
I'm this close to give up and install a LS1

I can't find a stock engine around and my mechanic just installed a LS1 on a local 350Z and he used the 350Z tranny and clutch
I don't know if I would believe this without seeing pictures considering an LS flywheel will not even fit inside a 350z bell housing. You would need to mill the tranny bell housing or run one thick adapter plate to make that work.

Pictures?
Old 07-21-2012 | 10:51 AM
Brew_haha

Originally Posted by Royal_T
Good info for the fuel setup Logan,, That will help out a lot of people.. I have/will have mine setup just like that also..

On a side note, I really hope my shifter is not ****ed up like yours 04.350z,, If it is I am going to be pissed. But if you work out the issues, I will be hitting you up for sure
No problem if you guys need ny pictures of anything else im more than glad to snap what ever you need.
Old 07-21-2012 | 04:13 PM
midz350

Originally Posted by Quamen
I don't know if I would believe this without seeing pictures considering an LS flywheel will not even fit inside a 350z bell housing. You would need to mill the tranny bell housing or run one thick adapter plate to make that work.

Pictures?
He used the 350z clutch and flywheel IIRC.
Old 07-22-2012 | 05:03 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by midz350
He used the 350z clutch and flywheel IIRC.
I'm interested about the starter then and what he did with the gear ring.
Old 07-22-2012 | 04:55 PM
knils

Originally Posted by Quamen
I'm interested about the starter then and what he did with the gear ring.
Excuse my ignorance, been interested in LS swaps recently and just been reading as much as I can. Regarding the starter, what are you interested in, just where he relocated it from the spot on the Z tranny? Or how he attached the new one in that spot? Not sure what the usual procedure is. TIA
Old 07-22-2012 | 05:10 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by knils
Excuse my ignorance, been interested in LS swaps recently and just been reading as much as I can. Regarding the starter, what are you interested in, just where he relocated it from the spot on the Z tranny? Or how he attached the new one in that spot? Not sure what the usual procedure is. TIA
The LS starter will not engage the Z flywheel due to different gear diameters.
Old 07-23-2012 | 03:43 AM
04.350z

Pics or it didn't happen lol
Old 07-23-2012 | 11:18 AM
sidewaysracin

Do you really have to use this rigged setup for the clutch master cyclinder from sikky? The washer hole is a bit too big, the outer size is too small, and this extention is just retarded. Not to mention the bajo bolt dosent thread into the cyclinder that came with the chasebays line kit. Wtf!
Old 07-23-2012 | 01:26 PM
bbs350z

mine threaded right in. the bleed line threads in, the line that goes to the master cylinder has a pin in it on the slave cylinder which sits around the input shaft. knock out that pin, remove the old one, and put in the new on (slips in) and replace the pin. however, the line that goes to the master has the factory ls size restrictor which causes a pressure loss on a 2-3 upshift (a common ls1 problem) your best bet is to either buy a line with a 1/8 hole, or drill your restrictor out. mind, your best bet is to do it now, because if you ever want to do it later, your trans has to come out. and your trans bellhousing is too big for your z trans tunnel so it makes the process a much bigger pain in the *** than a imple tranny drop.
Old 07-24-2012 | 04:05 AM
04.350z

Mine didn't thread in either. It stripped they said it was my fault. I had to order a second one had a similar issue re-tapped it and it works fine
Old 07-24-2012 | 04:08 AM
04.350z

Oh and i bought the bigger restrictor its definitely worth it for $50
Old 07-27-2012 | 08:52 AM
endless_summers

Originally Posted by agallardo
Did the same, and all were out of stock and telling me they were discontinued. And couldn't get anymore
Originally Posted by makdaddynuge
You have a few of the gto lever pieces? I am in need of one. Willing to sell it?
I just called my local GM dealer and they were able to order me a gto shifter block. Seems like there are plenty more too. I have a camaro SS t56 so hopefully this will prevent shifter issues when I get my Sikky kit. Will let you guys know when I get it.
Old 07-27-2012 | 05:16 PM
04.350z

Originally Posted by endless_summers
I just called my local GM dealer and they were able to order me a gto shifter block. Seems like there are plenty more too. I have a camaro SS t56 so hopefully this will prevent shifter issues when I get my Sikky kit. Will let you guys know when I get it.

yeah they said thats all i needed too but that wasnt the case.

for everyone waiting on a fix i am working on a fix now but dont want to post anything until i get it fully figured out and that it will be a real fix to the junk sikky shifter.
Old 07-28-2012 | 03:23 PM
sidewaysracin

Well thats good that you could order one. Every dealer in Mn said they were on indefinite back order. I ciuldnt even find one out of state. I got lucky on LS1tech. Well i had to retap the sikky master cyclinder adapter plate because they had 2 different size bolts in it and thread pitches. They said they were gonna check into it and i never heard from. Justin again. So I retapped that and the wilwood cyclinder. Finally ready to put the rest of the parts in..that shifter better work when i get it running! Thats all i gotta say!
Old 07-28-2012 | 04:50 PM
04.350z

Originally Posted by sidewaysracin
Well thats good that you could order one. Every dealer in Mn said they were on indefinite back order. I ciuldnt even find one out of state. I got lucky on LS1tech. Well i had to retap the sikky master cyclinder adapter plate because they had 2 different size bolts in it and thread pitches. They said they were gonna check into it and i never heard from. Justin again. So I retapped that and the wilwood cyclinder. Finally ready to put the rest of the parts in..that shifter better work when i get it running! Thats all i gotta say!

That's what i said
Old 07-29-2012 | 05:21 AM
Royal_T

Some info I just found out about the shifters:

"If you decide to run a GTO trans with an f-body shifter (or vice versa) you will need to run the f-body shift ball receiver on the end of the shift shaft or you will not be able to fully engage all gears"
Old 07-29-2012 | 08:22 AM
sidewaysracin

I think you have that backwards. You need to use a gto shift cup, otherwise you only have 1,3,5 gears. The camaro one is too short for the way sikky made their shifter.

Question, what did everyone do with the fuel breather line, i believe thats what it is. The line that runs up with the stock fuel feed line. Do i need to do anything with that line or just leave it open?
Old 07-29-2012 | 10:26 AM
endless_summers

Originally Posted by Royal_T
Some info I just found out about the shifters:

"If you decide to run a GTO trans with an f-body shifter (or vice versa) you will need to run the f-body shift ball receiver on the end of the shift shaft or you will not be able to fully engage all gears"
I Think I understand what he's trying to say. If u are using a Camaro shifter with a gto trans, you need the corresponding Camaro shifter block. And vice versa, If you are using a Camaro t56 trans with a gto style shifter, you need a gto shifter block. I will post pics of my gto shifter block that I have ordered next to the Camaro shifter block that is currently in my Camaro t56.

Gto "style" shifter = sikky shifter

Camaro shifter + Camaro shifter block = success
Gto shifter + gto shifter block = success
Camaro shifter + gto shifter block = fail
GTO shifter + Camaro shifter block = fail

So therefore:
Sikky shifter (gto style) + GTO shifter block= success!!
Sikky shifter (gto style) + Camaro shifter block = fail

Disclaimer:
I don't have my parts yet so I cannot validate this.

Last edited by endless_summers; 07-29-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2012 | 08:56 PM
jerryd87

any of you guys running a ls swap delete the abs and still able to use a speedo? as in know the pulses of the nissan sensors so a aftermarket speedo can be used. im about through with my POS and all the problems im having about to delete everything i dont use and convert to a mechanical TB >.<
Old 07-30-2012 | 03:27 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by jerryd87
any of you guys running a ls swap delete the abs and still able to use a speedo? as in know the pulses of the nissan sensors so a aftermarket speedo can be used. im about through with my POS and all the problems im having about to delete everything i dont use and convert to a mechanical TB >.<
You will not be able to use the stock speedo without ABS. I tried to use the stock sensors with an aftermarket speedo but wasn't successful either. Companies like Speedhut sell sensors that are easy to wire up though.

Quick Reply: The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread