Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket HID Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:46 AM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket HID Help...

ok so its been months now since one of my low beam lights went out and I've finally grown tired of having to be the guy driving with his high lights on (yeah I'm that guy). but in my defense I did try to fix it immediately but in doing so I found out that I have some kind of aftermarket HID kit that the previous owner had put on (anyone want to buy some phillips D2R's that I bought prior to finding this out). anyways I finally made the time to get back into the housing and take some pics of what I've got and I'm hoping that somebody can help identify what HID system I've got and thus what kind of bulb I need to buy. from what I can tell, it looks like D2R bulbs rebased with h7 connectors but I'm no expert. any help would be appreciated...thanx.

this is the ballast

this is the back of the light housing

this is the back of the bulb, the actual bulb looks exactly like a D2R
Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 AM
showstoppertk

sorry bout the bad pics, and jun...plz chime in if you have any input. thanx!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:26 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see he drilled a hole in the gray plastic cover to get the wires through. What did you use to seal the hole though? Epoxy of some sort?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You are most likely stuck buying the same brand bulbs - which are rebased H7s. The problem is with most aftermarket HID kits is that the capsules and ballasts are proprietary and cannot be mixed with regular DR2 or D2S based capsules.

The fact that you have one light out shows the poor quality of aftermarket kits. I would replace the whole setup with an oem quality phillips setup like Jun sells.

Good luck
Originally Posted by showstoppertk
ok so its been months now since one of my low beam lights went out and I've finally grown tired of having to be the guy driving with his high lights on (yeah I'm that guy). but in my defense I did try to fix it immediately but in doing so I found out that I have some kind of aftermarket HID kit that the previous owner had put on (anyone want to buy some phillips D2R's that I bought prior to finding this out). anyways I finally made the time to get back into the housing and take some pics of what I've got and I'm hoping that somebody can help identify what HID system I've got and thus what kind of bulb I need to buy. from what I can tell, it looks like D2R bulbs rebased with h7 connectors but I'm no expert. any help would be appreciated...thanx.

this is the ballast

this is the back of the light housing

this is the back of the bulb, the actual bulb looks exactly like a D2R
Old 09-07-2005, 12:47 PM
showstoppertk

I may end up going with that route and just replacing the whole setup, but I'd like to see if I'm able to find a replacement bulb for the mean time. anyone know of where I can get a replacement bulb?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:28 PM
showstoppertk

any other input from HID experts???
Old 09-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

well, i'm gonna be repeating what the other people mentioned basically.

aftemarket kits have proprietary bulbs, so if you want to replace the bulb, you need to buy it from the company who makes the HID kit.

Not that I want to throw a sales pitch at you, but I recommend you to buy an OEM kit from me, it will save you a lot of headaches, since it uses the OEM HID bulbs.
It looks like the kit connects to the stock H7 harness, so the previous owner didn't mess that up, which is good.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

maybe in the meantime you can just use an ugly yellow halogen bulb

Hey, at least it will get you around without people flashing at you.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:06 PM
showstoppertk

jun-thanx for the reply. can I really just use a halogen H7 right now considering that there are ballast hooked up and everything? also when I was examining the base of the bulb I couldn't figure out a way to "unplug" the bulb from the wiring. I've changed many halogen bulbs before and they usually just unplug by the base....kinda like a household electrical outlet, but my current bulbs seem like the wires going into the base of the bulb are permanently attached somehow. any input on this? also this is the manufactuer website if its of any help: www.epl-hidlighting.com

thanx!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

i believe the aftermarket HID bulbs have the wire permanently attached to the actual bulb. The connector should be somewhere further down along the wire. Aftermarket kits usually have two wires coming from the bulb that connect to two connectors, that are connected to the ballast, where wires come out to connect to the stock harness, and more wires coming out to go some power/ground source (yes, complicated).

The H7 harness is the black connector that's connected to the pink squaredbox-looking thing here:

I suggest you plug the H7 bulbs to the stock connector, and unplug the HID ballast from that side for safety sake (if you can take it out, even better, you don't want to short anything in case water makes contact and power is running through it). Test them and make sure it turns on before you put everything back together though

Last edited by Jun; 09-08-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

I have an aftermarket HID kit that has what you've explained, wires that are attached to the bulb. I figured it was going to be a PITA to get replacement bulbs like this (especially with the DOT cracking down on aftermarket HID kits), so I went with Jun's OEM kit and I have been happy since.