Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket steering wheel people - insurance coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aftermarket steering wheel people - insurance coverage?

what's the story with you guys with aftermarket steering wheels?

Are you cars show cars that are hardly ever driven or do you drive your car a lot?

What about your insurance?

I've talked with 4 or 5 insurance companies asking them if they'd cover an accident if the airbags were removed and they all say now because it compromises the safety of the vehicle

what's your guy's story with coverage?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
mofoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldnt run a street car without an airbag unless i was wearing properly mounted harnesses at all times. This requires a proper harness bar or a much better idea running a minimum 4pt roll bar with harness mounting. But if you have no airbag constant 5pt harness and a roll bar its not exactly a street car.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:25 PM
sentry65
the burninator

right so that brings up the next question - I can't for the life of me find an insurance company that'll insure you if you have a rollbar and racing harness with the airbags removed and were not using the standard seatbelts
Old 09-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I removed my air bag on my MR2 and banged my head pretty good on my roll cage since I had my harnesses a bit loose. Allstate covered everything, including my stitch work. Needless to say, I wear my harnesses tight and opted for the Roll bar versus the roll cage on my z
Old 09-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
I removed my air bag on my MR2 and banged my head pretty good on my roll cage since I had my harnesses a bit loose. Allstate covered everything, including my stitch work. Needless to say, I wear my harnesses tight and opted for the Roll bar versus the roll cage on my z

you drive on the street with the 5point? how the heck do you turn to check your blind spot? when i'm strapped in? i can barely turn my head
Old 09-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Chebosto
you drive on the street with the 5point? how the heck do you turn to check your blind spot? when i'm strapped in? i can barely turn my head
I'm Linda Blair?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

but will Allstate cover you if you removed your airbags?

that's the main thing right there. Seems everyone will overlook the other stuff, but if you remove the airbags i keep being told there's no hope they'll cover your medical expenses
Old 09-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by sentry65
but will Allstate cover you if you removed your airbags?

that's the main thing right there. Seems everyone will overlook the other stuff, but if you remove the airbags i keep being told there's no hope they'll cover your medical expenses
I had no airbag sucka!

I removed my air bag on my MR2....
Old 09-23-2005, 03:29 AM
sentry65
the burninator

but what if your car was totalled and inspectors came to inspect your car and say you had some more serious injuries? There's a lot of ground for them to put up a fight to not pay for your medical expenses - even though I have yet to find ANYONE that has crash data with race harnesses vs 3pt seat belts + airbags to prove one is better than the other

Especially if you have a spinal neck injury because your body is locked down in a harness, but your head isn't and would move even more than it would with a seatbelt/airbag.

A long time ago I wrecked my car and if I had a passenger, there was a chance they would have hit their head on the side window and be killed. Had I had harnesses, if someone was in that seat, they wouldn't have hit their head.

The other thing is airbags are designed for 5'8" males and should inflate to not catch your face, but to catch your chest to soften the blow and keep your body from moving as much. Harnesses are more predictable because you just won't be flopping around as much.

I don't see how a rollbar in and of itself is a "racing" thing - it's a rollbar. Jeeps and such have aftermarket ones all the time.

I'll call Allstate and ask if I have a harness, rollbar, and remove the airbags, if I'd be covered by them in an accident. I dunno, asking that point blank, I think any company will say they won't cover you. In practice though, maybe they will.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator

hmm according to this:
http://www.safercar.gov/airbags/page...BDeactiv.htm#1

and this:
http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.c...&docketid=3111

I'm guessing would be the basis that an insurance company would use to fight against paying for your medical expenses if you remove or disable the airbags that are not because of the 4 reasons listed

This link makes it sound like Standalone EMS's that replace the Z ECU such as the motec unit could also be a reason for insurance companies to fight you on medical injuries even if you have airbags
http://www.safercar.gov/airbags/page...csECUFront.htm
Old 09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
s4play

guys, I thought I'd post here just because I have experience with this matter.

On my S2000, I had a Momo wheel, Splash hub and quick release installed mainly to get more room in that car since I'm 6'2.

I talked to State Farm about this and they initially asked me why I was removing it.

I told them my reasoning and on the phone, my agent told me they don't "recommend" it but never went so far to flat out say it's ok to do it.

My guess is it's a 50/50 thing and depends on adjusters and also each company.

If you are so hard-pressed and worried about legal issues and safety, I would NOT remove the airbag....what it comes down to is do you want to take the risk. The law won't matter much if you are a paralyzed right?

Do you trust your own driving skills???

In my case, I did it but now looking back, it's not such a good idea.

As for driving on the street with any 4-point or 5-point harness, I don't see how you guys can turn your head???? Maybe I'm just not that flexible?

rick
Old 02-28-2014, 02:25 AM
DrummerGirl

Has anyone else had experience with this? I see plenty of people running QR's but what happens when there's a crash?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I would think if you have medical insurance aside from that provided by your automobile insurance company, you would be covered by that insurance. Most auto medical insurance is for $10K (at least in Missouri) so is minimal to say the least. If you have an accident that is not your fault, the other person's insurance will be paying the bill anyway.

Last edited by KornerCarver; 02-28-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by DrummerGirl
Has anyone else had experience with this? I see plenty of people running QR's but what happens when there's a crash?
I know some insurance companies give discount for SRS, and an even bigger discount if you have side impact SRS. That could come into play, best thing is talk to your insurance company.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 AM
DrummerGirl

Alright good stuff to know guys thanks. I drove a friends car with a QR and it's definitely a different feel than an OEM wheel. I'd imagine if you're going with a QR it'd probably be safest to get a roll bar/harness setup as well? I'll have to give my insurance a ring some time and see what they say.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Missy83

Default After Market Steering Wheel

Finally a thread about fitting a steering wheel and the insurance companies..

I just bought a Mono racing wheel for my car, its a Suzuki tho but same situation. My 2009 Swift has only two airbags. I totally forgot about the airbag being there and removing it isnt the problem,
Its:

- If the SRS light comes on (even if I fit a resistor on it to trick the system) ill have to get the light reset but no one will do it, even a Suzuki Dealer.
- If i do manage to reset the light will it stay off
- and will I be covered for insurance? Life insurance as well as comprehensive?

Here in Australia Im certain the GreenSlip wont cover me for any medical costs. Whether its my fault or theres. Itll be a time consuming investigation and seems like its just not worth the trouble. You can trust your own driving skills but you cant trust others driving on the same road. Cant say i like the idea of an 'explosive device' (that could go off at anytime if faulty) in my face even if it is to save my life lol

I dont think there will be a problem with just insuring the car with your normal comprehensive insurance though. They wouldnt care either way.

Id still rather see my cool new racing wheel fitted, but dont think it will happen and theres no way ill get a roll cage into it lol its just a normal runabout car!