Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 guys...what do you think? :) (LEDs in bumper)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:31 PM
boogiemyke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I will be selling them.

- $300 for the set
- you hook them up at the rear of the headlight on each side. Green wire to the turn signal, Yellow to the parking lamp and black to ground.

Details about them:

-28 LEDs per circuit
-Uses '06 OEM clear reflectors
-completely sealed
- ~7000 mcd total light output per circuit
-rear of reflector is the white LEDs and the amber ones are towards the front (I can switch them if requested)
Old 05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
boogiemyke

Originally Posted by sorphin
For anyone interested in spiderleds to do this kinda thing with (if you only want white that is):
http://www.surplusled.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=_DL

They are made by LEDtronics, but LEDtronics wants $24 for a pack of 10, so this is a deal ($2.99/pack), wish this place had the amber too
I'm not sure that those will work sorphin. You might want to look into an SMT type. PLCC's will fit just fine.

Also...I've found that LEDtronics is waaaaaaaaay over-priced. You should try Digi-key or Mouser. They're pretty competitive, but Digi-key comes in lower most of the time.

Last edited by boogiemyke; 05-24-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 PM
sorphin

$300? Funny how all these things seem to run for a few hundred dollars..

actually, based on my measurements, it'll be a tight fit, but they would fit.. I have some plccs suppose i'll take a look at those too
Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 PM
boogiemyke

$300? Funny how all these things seem to run for a few hundred dollars..

actually, based on my measurements, it'll be a tight fit, but they would fit.. I have some plccs suppose i'll take a look at those too
Yeah...I've got about 10x's that invested already. Had to buy all sorts of tools to make everything with.

Also, that's about half of what clearcorners is charging for thier '03-'05 "style 2" reflectors (which are the same as these) and still cheaper than thier "single function" ones.

Last edited by boogiemyke; 05-24-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 PM
sorphin

my leds should be showing up from mouser today (wednesday), hopefully will have this thing thrown together so i can take some pics soon
Old 06-08-2006, 10:10 PM
sorphin

Default pics of my version of the reflector..

The camera didn't really do it justice, it's brighter than it appears.. and the colors do NOT look this bad irl.. it was hard to get a good picture, the white is pure, and the amber is amber like Mike's (bout 590nm)

This is just amber:

This is just white:

This is both:

Here is the boards i used:

and up close:
Old 06-09-2006, 12:10 AM
boogiemyke

Nicely done sorphin!!!

Yeah, the camera doesn't seem to catch the colors correctly. Did you go with 0805 LEDs?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:02 PM
sorphin

yep, 805s.. i didn't realize the 805s would be that small (it's been a while), 1206s mighta worked too.. i know PLCC's woulda been as big as the traces.. lol
Old 06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
minispider

got mine open without breaking anything.. took a lot of elbow grease and a few razor blades along the seams to cut the sealant, then you gradually pop it off

i have included a pic of it totally taken apart for those who are curious
You are my GOD, dude....I just got the lenses from Courtesy nissan and I have a development LED kit with all the electronics assembled from a company that's working on the led's for the '06 (6 months lead time on orders) and you just resolved my issue...I thought those lenses were impossible to open.....(and yes I tried the oven method to no avail)...thanks for the pics...
Old 06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
boogiemyke

I can provide a kit if anyone wants it. Pre-soldered and ready to be placed inside. It'll include, 2 PCB's with the LEDs & resistors mounted, 6 lengths of wire and 6 taps. You'll just need to pull the reflectors apart, drill holes in the back-side, attach PCB, solder the wires on, seal the reflectors back together and then mount them on your car.

I can have them to you in 1 week.

Also, I've found a method along with sorphin's process that makes it MUCH easier to get them apart. They basically come apart on thier own.

Last edited by boogiemyke; 06-09-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:32 PM
sorphin

Originally Posted by boogiemyke
I can provide a kit if anyone wants it. Pre-soldered and ready to be placed inside. It'll include, 2 PCB's with the LEDs & resistors mounted, 6 lengths of wire and 6 taps. You'll just need to pull the reflectors apart, drill holes in the back-side, attach PCB, solder the wires on, seal the reflectors back together and then mount them on your car.

I can have them to you in 1 week.

Also, I've found a method along with sorphin's process that makes it MUCH easier to get them apart. They basically come apart on thier own.

but when we asked you said it was a secret

what'd you use to reseal yours? clear sealant? epoxy?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good progress guys!

-Acree
Old 06-09-2006, 06:06 PM
boogiemyke

but when we asked you said it was a secret

what'd you use to reseal yours? clear sealant? epoxy?

LOL...yeah, it was a secret because I was just "trying" something. The way I did it turned-out to not be the best approach. So, I took your approach with the razor. While it was a pain in the neck...it worked. Some reflectors are harder to get apart than others though. I actually have a completed set (LEDs and sealed-up) that I'm letting go for $175 because they aren't quite perfect. The acrylic (PMMA) kinda cracked up a little higher than I wanted it to. They'll still look 100% when installed, but the flaw is visible "in-hand".

The new approach I use is to scribe the seam all the way around the reflector with a razor first. Then (this is where the "light-bulb" went on for me one night... ), I drench the seam with some 3M adhesive remover. The adhesive remover will weaken the factory sealant just enough to allow you to pry them apart slowly. This is accomplished by sliding the razor in the seam little by little. The object is to use the "width" of the razor to cause the pieces to seperate. You're not actually "cutting" the adhesive apart. The adhesive remover is doing that for you.

The adhesive remover isn't harsh on the acrylic if it isn't left on for too long...but...don't let it soak in it for very long periods (more than 5 mins). If you do, the acrylic will start to soak the adhesive remover up and become brittle.

I'm using a methacrylate adhesive (araldite 2022) to bond the ABS and PMMA together. This stuff is like steel once it hardens and is made for this type of application.

Last edited by boogiemyke; 06-09-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:28 PM
sorphin

Default ok, i just put mine in..

I did NOT have to take off the bumper.. I did it all through the wheel well opening, along with my rachet and a phillips bit.. I've attached before, during, and after pics... enjoy the rest of the pics in the 2nd post..
Attached Thumbnails '06 guys...what do you think? :)  (LEDs in bumper)-before.jpg   '06 guys...what do you think? :)  (LEDs in bumper)-during.jpg   '06 guys...what do you think? :)  (LEDs in bumper)-after.jpg   '06 guys...what do you think? :)  (LEDs in bumper)-afteramber.jpg   '06 guys...what do you think? :)  (LEDs in bumper)-afterwhite.jpg  

Old 06-17-2006, 02:30 PM
sorphin

here's the rest of the pics, the last pic is just to show the car a bit more so you can see better how it looks on the car.. comments welcome
Attached Thumbnails '06 guys...what do you think? :)  (LEDs in bumper)-afterboth.jpg   '06 guys...what do you think? :)  (LEDs in bumper)-morecaramber.jpg  
Old 06-17-2006, 02:30 PM
sorphin

ignore this one.. it double posted

Last edited by sorphin; 06-17-2006 at 02:31 PM. Reason: ignore this one.. it double posted