Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how durable is fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 PM
o snap its eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how durable is fiberglass?

thinking about a fiberglass kit but i've been told many different things. Some people say its very fragile and some say its pretty durable. Is it the quality that makes the diffrence?

I know i can scrap my driveway leaving the house. If one day accidentally scrape my driveway leaving the house with the fiberglass bumper, will it crack?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it depends on the manufacturer

some stuff is very durable...other stuff is utter crap
Old 10-31-2006, 07:50 PM
slinksZ

yea i hear that. It truely depends on how they manufacture the part. Type of fiber glass, resin they use, and how they lay it all comes into factor. I would really do my research on this site on quality and fitament issues before purchasing any body parts. People are even having issues with carbon fiber.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fiberglass is a cool material----If its a good quality, and most is good, It makes for a very smooth paint surface and if u happen to ding it, Its easy to fix almost flawlessly. But its Brittle And although , easy to fix---If u bump something, u WILL have to fix it. Also --if its a good mold it can be fitted perfectly cuz u can shave it or add to it to hug the contour.
On the other hand, Urethane is forgiving to bumps and dings, But is harder to repair and just doesnt take paint as well and is hell to strip and redo if u have too.
If I was showing my car alot and garaging it and avoiding speed bumps, Id go fiberglass. If Im daily driving and driving hard Id go Urethane on the front for sure.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:43 AM
shinkuu

fiberglass can be very durable. my helmet is made out of fiberglass.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Built2shredZ

I had a Mugen Fiberglass front end on my 2000 prelude... The fit on it was awesome but they will crack if you hit a curb or wheel stop where as a polyurethane bumper would bend back into place (unless you you really hit it hard then it might tear)... The advantage of fiberglass is its really easy to repair where if you tear a polyurethane bumper you will probably have to replace it.

Other differences is if you scrape the bottom of the fiberglass bumper it will leave grooves in the fiberglass where a polyurethane bumper will not (although you will probably scrape the paint off)..
Old 11-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Agentman03

lOOKING AT MY OPTIONS OF A FIBERGLASS OR CARBON VEILSIDE STYLR HOOD .. GONG TO PAINT IT CHROME SILVER SO THOUGHT I COULD SAVE SOME BUCKS WITH THE GLASS ALTHOUGH THE CARBON SEEM MORE DURABLE AND PROBABLY EASYER TO PREP TO PAINT ???
Old 11-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by Agentman03
lOOKING AT MY OPTIONS OF A FIBERGLASS OR CARBON VEILSIDE STYLR HOOD .. GONG TO PAINT IT CHROME SILVER SO THOUGHT I COULD SAVE SOME BUCKS WITH THE GLASS ALTHOUGH THE CARBON SEEM MORE DURABLE AND PROBABLY EASYER TO PREP TO PAINT ???
Have no idea on prep for CF, FG VERY easy to prep---If ur going to cover the CF with paint ---Just go FG----If u hit either ur going to crack it. Rather crack a FG than a CF
Old 11-02-2006, 06:53 PM
THE TECH

FRP and CF are exactly the same to prep.

As far as durability of fiberglass, it will just depend on how gentle/brutal you are with it. If you don't know how to park your car, it's your own fault.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by THE TECH
FRP and CF are exactly the same to prep.

As far as durability of fiberglass, it will just depend on how gentle/brutal you are with it. If you don't know how to park your car, it's your own fault.
I quess it would be ---Both are a resin base and its basically the resin ur painting---I was thinking though that if ur not going to use the CF cosmetically or as a weight saving and paint it instead, U mite as well go FG ????