Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a CF Hood...Quick Question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:47 AM
SweetDreamZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a CF Hood...Quick Question...

Just trying to get an idea...take a look at the video i have posted. None of the rest of the hood is like the area I am showing in the video...but the center section deforms w/ a very light push of my pinky. Just sitting, it's already deformed as you can tell by the light reflection as i pass over. What concerns me is how flimsy it is. Like i said, the rest of the hood, even in large flat patches, does not move like that. It's very rigid. Just wanted to see if anyone else who had a CF hood saw the same thing to see if they are all like that or not?

Thanks for checking!~!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hki3MW_FYAE
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 AM
davidf

Crap, youtube is blocked here at work, wish I could help you.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 AM
350zz053

lol weird video. but thats normal. the edges have more support than in the middle.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:45 AM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by 350zz053
lol weird video. but thats normal. the edges have more support than in the middle.

yeah, it's a weird video...i'm just trying to figure it out cuz my body shop said that it was so flimsy that they couldn't paint it...wouldn't even be able to sand it properly they said!

Are you sure it's supposed to move THAT easy? In the middle towards the front it doesn't have that problem. Even in the direct center it doesn't have that issue. Only in the middle, close to the windshield edge of the hood...
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 AM
350z_2NR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totally normal, just always keep in mind it is a "fiber" not fiberglass, or poly, so it's going to be a little different. But, still very strong and of course the best thing it weighs nothing.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 AM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by 350z_2NR
totally normal, just always keep in mind it is a "fiber" not fiberglass, or poly, so it's going to be a little different. But, still very strong and of course the best thing it weighs nothing.

If this is true...I want to sell mine and get a fiberglass one. I'm not convinced it's true yet though...I saw a picture of Bubbles hood, which I think is the other Seibon CF hood...and his is painted, and is perfectly smooth...you can see it in some of the pics here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=281

Specifically, look at the 14th picture down...it's smooth as can be. So if his is CF, and that's normal...then mine isn't!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
SweetDreamZ

Anyone else have any input on this? I'd like to get as much feedback as possible...
Old 11-27-2006, 05:45 PM
sponsorsthisway

I have a Seibon TS as well. Never noticed it being flimsy in the center like that. I'm having mine painted in 2 weeks though. The shop guy never really pressed on the hood though to check it. Who knows, he could call at the last min to tell me it can't be done. Doubtful though. Sorry to hear about you flimsy-ness problem lol.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:59 AM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by sponsorsthisway
I have a Seibon TS as well. Never noticed it being flimsy in the center like that. I'm having mine painted in 2 weeks though. The shop guy never really pressed on the hood though to check it. Who knows, he could call at the last min to tell me it can't be done. Doubtful though. Sorry to hear about you flimsy-ness problem lol.

It didn't take the guy on the body shop pushing on it to notice. Everyone who saw my hood, the first thing they'd say is..."It's dented in the middle there...is it supposed to be like that?" The body shop guy was just the first one who made me REALLY concerned about it since he deals with these kinds of things. Oh well, the seller is contacting Seibon, hopefully they admit it's no good. I was hoping more people w/ CF hoods would reply here so that i could get a better idea....
Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
sponsorsthisway

Yea see that doesn't sound normal. You might want to contact Seibon and send some pictures.

Would I believe I actually had a dream last night because of this thread that I was looking at my hood and the center was caving in. The body shop guy was like "nope, that defininitely can't be painted!" lol seriously
Old 11-28-2006, 09:07 AM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by sponsorsthisway
Yea see that doesn't sound normal. You might want to contact Seibon and send some pictures.

Would I believe I actually had a dream last night because of this thread that I was looking at my hood and the center was caving in. The body shop guy was like "nope, that defininitely can't be painted!" lol seriously

hahahhaa....my thread has haunted your dreams....that sucks dude. Welcome to my nightmare! It really does blow though...spend almost $700 for a new hood...and then it can't even be used for your intentions for the car?! I'm just hoping and praying that Seibon(or the seller...seems like he should work it out with seibon) agrees that the hood is sub-par and will do an exchange or something. I love the way the thing looks!

How will you be painting yours? I'm gonna be stealing a scheme I saw on here previously...like this one, except blue to match my car of course...

Old 11-28-2006, 09:26 AM
sponsorsthisway

I'm going to do very litte cf showing. I want to go very subtle. I'll have the sides of the vents (the "deep" part if you will) showing in carbon and a bit around the top of the vent done so as to have a sharp "U" around each vent. Now that I look closer at that pic it looks like they did the same sort of idea leaving the "deep" sides unpainted. I guess I was going to do that but without the center two spots unpainted. Maybe I'll do it that way though. I'll probably stand in front of it for sometime before dropping the car off next weekend.