Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install myself or take to the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 AM
PM-Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install myself or take to the dealer?

I just got my splash guards and OEM wing in today. I dunno if I should install this stuff myself or not. being a brand new car I get scared to touch things. lol

Is the OEM wing that hard to get the holes right? The splash guards shouldn;t be that bad I wouldnt think.
The drilling the holes chaps my butthole though.

Any insight?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:44 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used 3 rolls of 3M tape to put on my OEM spoiler. I've had it on for about 6 months with no problems. I was waiting for it to fly off at high speeds, but it has held strong. That tape gets down with the best of them. If your not doing the Nismo spoiler, than i would suggest NOT drilling holes in your hatch for that dinky lip/spoiler. The splash gaurds are easy homie, just get down there and look... your not going to mess anything up. (just screws and snaps)
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 AM
zeeanswer

I used only the included 3M tape for the OEM spoiler install as well. It has been holding up great for a couple of months now. I pried off the mounting brackets/tabs with a screwdriver.

I plan on getting something aftermarket someday and didn't want to drill the holes. I did use the included template and a washable marker to get everything lined up correctly though.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:00 AM
PM-Performance

So the tape holds up well then? I was thinking of doing that instead of drilling the holes. Drilling scares me when done in body panels.
I figured the flaps are easy.

Do you just hit that area with some dish soap to get the wax off?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Blacryan

Well I didn't want to drill mine either... I was scared =)

So I just took to the dealer and had them do it, they did it for free... the install. I just paid for the splash guards. Took about 5-10mins total... but at least if anything went wrong I was covered!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM
fairlady350z33

yah you should be alright with the splash guards, see how much the dealer charges.

if the spoiler scares you, just use 3M tape or have it professionally done.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 AM
PM-Performance

Dealer charges $156 for the wing and $78 for the splash guards.
Not too bad, I get %15 off of that too with this coupon book they gave me.

Im gonna check out the wing and see how it looks to install. I guess worst case I will have them do it. Just wanted to save the extra $$$ for tint if I could. lol
Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Andres30o0

...i actually took my splash guards OFF. it's a small detail, but i think they interrupt the asthetics of the car somewhat (IMO).
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM
PM-Performance

I think the subtleness of the splash guards make the car. I mean it looks good without them, but I thnk it deff helps with them.
Plus you will notice alot more crap kicks up on the side of the car without them.
Anything to help keep my rockers and doors clean and less chips on my rear fenders and looks good at the same time is OK in my book.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 AM
91ZCpe

I just got an OEM spoiler put on my dads Z for his birthday and it ended up costing $90.45 using the two rolls of 3M tape.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i wouldn't pay that for either of them. Lining the wing up is a sinch. Your looking at an inch on each side from the edge of the hatch to the pointed tip of the wing. I walked up to a couple Z's at work and checked how far the wing was above the Nissan Symbol. Got a good idea from people's factory set-ups and i replicated it. It was easy, give it a try... The dealer is sticking it to you on those install prices when it's the simplest thing to them. They lay the layout down on the hatch Zip Zip with the drill gun and bam cost you $100. Do it yourself!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:20 AM
PM-Performance

thanks guys. Ill take a gander at it tonight
Old 05-29-2007, 11:46 AM
davidf

Originally Posted by Andres30o0
...i actually took my splash guards OFF. it's a small detail, but i think they interrupt the asthetics of the car somewhat (IMO).
I took mine off simply because it looks better.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 PM
synth19

If you guys are recommending that that the OP should use double sided tape on the ACTUAL OEM (NISSAN) lip spoiler, that would be a mistake imo. Now if it's an "OEM-LIKE" with a flat bottom, then double sided tape would be fine. However, the actual nissan part only has about a few mm's of area covered around the edges and the center is actually open. I would not trust tape on that small coverage area.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:16 PM
zeeanswer

Originally Posted by synth19
If you guys are recommending that that the OP should use double sided tape on the ACTUAL OEM (NISSAN) lip spoiler, that would be a mistake imo. Now if it's an "OEM-LIKE" with a flat bottom, then double sided tape would be fine. However, the actual nissan part only has about a few mm's of area covered around the edges and the center is actually open. I would not trust tape on that small coverage area.
I used only the tape on an oem spoiler. It has held up fine so far. About 2 months in various temperatures, rain, cold, and various speeds. It still feels rock solid.

The 3M tape is very strong. If I remember correctly the tape was about 8 mm wide. I am guessing that the spoiler is roughly 1 meter wide...

1000 x 8 x 2 = 16000 mm^2 = Roughly 25 Square Inches of Adhesive

Honesty, If you clean the surface with rubbing alcohol and apply plenty of pressure, it should be fine. It is pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA), so don't be afraid to push down really hard.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:25 PM
benDF

I wouldn't only use double stick to hold down a rear wing. I'd rather be safe than sorry. It shouldn't be too hard, and most rear wings come with a template/locators for drilling. Just mask off the area you are going to drill into to help keep the drill bit from wandering, and to prevent scratches if you are a sloppy worker.

I know if any of my dealers were installing our parts with just 3m, I would have a talk with them!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:00 PM
PM-Performance

I got everything installed tonight. Im impatient.
Everything turned out very nice.
I just stuck the wing on and cut off the studs and metal standoffs so it didnt scratch.
Looks like its gonna hold very well. I put some masking tape on the wing for a while to hold it on there to set. Feels very solid.

Did you guys install the new struts with it? Seems overkill. Stockers seem fine IMO
Old 05-29-2007, 04:03 PM
zeeanswer

Originally Posted by PM-Performance
I got everything installed tonight. Im impatient.
Everything turned out very nice.
I just stuck the wing on and cut off the studs and metal standoffs so it didnt scratch.
Looks like its gonna hold very well. I put some masking tape on the wing for a while to hold it on there to set. Feels very solid.

Did you guys install the new struts with it? Seems overkill. Stockers seem fine IMO
Congrats PM. I really liked the overall look of the car even more after I installed the OEM spoiler. I think it adds some subtle style. I haven't installed the upgraded struts yet. I do plan on it though. The struts don't perform as well in our cold winter climates. FYI.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
gregtotheb

i just installed my oem spoiler the other day with 3m double stick tape and its on there really good opened the hatch with it just to check and it seems to be holding up just fine.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:35 PM
PM-Performance

deff gives it a nice subtle look.
Does anyone put any 3M on their splash guards when installing them? They dont fit as nicely as I thought they would. Kinda flimsy IMO