Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Wont Turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Sk8fe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Wont Turn

I tried searching, but could not come up with a refined enough query to limit the findings to anything reasonable to find the answer to my problem.

I have been having a frustrating intermittent problem where I cannot turn the key in the ignition to start the car. It happens with both keys and when the steering wheel is locked and not. Is this is a known problem with 350Z's. Is there a recall or service bulletin for this? What is the fix? A new ignition assembly? I keep taking out the key, flipping it over and trying again. A frustrating 10 or 15 minutes later for some reason (I don't know what I do) it just decides to turn now and start. It is extremely frustrating and does not instill any confidence. I tried both keys and it happens with either key. It seems like I need a new ignition. I can't believe that both keys would be worn the same way. Maybe the previous owner was one of those people who keeps 9 pounds of keys and crap on their key chain and it prematurely wore the ignition assembly internal mechanisms (tumblers)???

Is it possible to install a G37 intelligent key and push button start mechanism in my 03 Track 350Z? That would be pretty cool, but I'm guessing not.

Any help/insight into my problem would be greatly appreciated. If this has been discussed before, my apologies in advance; however, please avoid flamming and just provide the link. That would be most helpful and greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:55 AM
SFMACGUY

your cylinder needs to be changed out, sounds like the tumbler is done,and may require new keys as well. Looking at around $500 to get it replaced. If you get your key stuck in there its more since they have to drill it out. GL
Old 10-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Sk8fe

Thanks. Can I get a new cylinder for my keys from the parts counter (so I would not have to change my driver door lock as well)? I'll have to stop by the dealer parts counter and inquire.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
SFMACGUY

I am pretty sure you can keep the locks the same, but the keys may need to be reprogrammed, if the have the sensor.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:22 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious, are you having this ignition problem when you have the wheels turned all the way to one side?

If you turn your wheels all the way to one side and turn off your car, the next time you turn it on, you will likely have key ignition problems.

What you have to do in this situation is to press on the gas lightly while turning the key and steering wheel.

The above situation is not isolated to the 350Z.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Fo350z

ZlleH, why does having the wheel turned do that? I have an 06 Z that I bought Sept '06. In this past year, I've had this issue twice...

I put the key in, try to turn it, it won't. I also can't get the key out. I keep jiggling and turning, and finally it works fine. I don't recall if my steering wheel was turned. It only has happened twice, and is infrequent enough that I tend to just forget about it.

I do know that the second time, I was on my cell phone when turning the car on, which is a rare thing for me. I had wondered if the signal from the phone was interfering with the key's signal.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:55 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why this happens when the wheel is turned all the way to one side. I just know it happens to other cars, not just the 350Z.

I have only had the key problem when my wheels are turned all the way to one side, never had the key problem otherwise.

And I've never got the key stuck either, you might have another issue O.o

Originally Posted by Fo350z
ZlleH, why does having the wheel turned do that? I have an 06 Z that I bought Sept '06. In this past year, I've had this issue twice...

I put the key in, try to turn it, it won't. I also can't get the key out. I keep jiggling and turning, and finally it works fine. I don't recall if my steering wheel was turned. It only has happened twice, and is infrequent enough that I tend to just forget about it.

I do know that the second time, I was on my cell phone when turning the car on, which is a rare thing for me. I had wondered if the signal from the phone was interfering with the key's signal.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
benderzjamez

I have an 03 touring and I show my car in car shows all the time and I have my wheels to show off my tires for a company and I never have that problem. I dont think it has to do with the wheels being turned out all the way. It may be a coincidence that it happens when you do that. This problem to me sounds like it is the cylinder.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Sk8fe

I do not recall if my wheels were turned all the way in one direction or not. I do know that it has happend to me with the steering wheel both "locked" and not "locked".

It last happened to me this past Monday when I was at the track (DE) and I had my helmet on and all ready to go and they called on the PA that the checkered was out and that my run group was to stage. And I couldn't turn the key and I ended up missing 10 minutes of my run until I did something to get the key to turn. I never know what I do to get it to turn. I just keep doing the same thing it seems. Gently slide key in, gently try to turn key. If it doesn't turn, gently take key out, flip key over and repeat. I try not to turn the wheel because if the wheel "locks" then it is that much harder.

I will definately try to remember when parking it to straighten out the wheel before turning off the car. Why would pressing the gas lightly help the key to turn?

Last edited by Sk8fe; 10-05-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
abyss

It'll occasionally happen on any car when the wheel is turned. I used to do it to keep my brother from driving my car because with it turned to the left even with the steering wheel unlocked 90% of the time you cant turn the key unless you hold the wheel to the right.