Sponsored by:

flimsy gas tank cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM
lionheartednyhc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twinship
It's a piece of crap.

There's a thread from a couple of years ago about an aftermarket fuel door in metal, kinda like the Audi TT's. Looked good IMHO, except it had a chrome finish. (I'd prefer a brushed aluminum finish.)

Surprised more peeps haven't gone that route.
any idea where that thread is, didnt see it
Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
niznos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be possible to add tiny washer(s) to 1 or both mounting screws to space out the mounted position and try to correct the misalignment. You will have to poke around in there to see if it's possible for your cars.

I hated the misalignment of my fuel door until I did that. The fuel door is flimsy-feeling because it's plastic, like the bumper covers. I think the problem is that it's located in a curvy part of the car, i.e. the rear quarter panels. Even if the fuel door was perfectly shaped to the "hips" of the Z from the factory, the plastic may have warped slightly in the course of its life; and being that it is located in such a noticeable place, it sticks out visually. Now as far as you guys who still have valid bumper-to-bumper warranties, I say go raise hell about it until they line it up right. And for us that are way beyond warranty work: get out your screwdriver and washers...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
twinship

Originally Posted by lionheartednyhc
any idea where that thread is, didnt see it
Sorry, I searched for it but couldn't find it.

I do recall that the item was manufactured by a German company and wasn't cheap. The thread included info from a forum member who spent considerable time and effort to modify the surface, from shiny chrome to a more matte finish.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM
twinship

OK, finally found the thread: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/126741-satin-finish-gas-door-please.html

Looks great, I think!
Attached Thumbnails flimsy gas tank cover?-350_gasdoor.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 07:10 PM
krono

wow thats f'in hawt good job bro thanks for the find twinship
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 PM
azula

i believe strosek makes a fuel cover as well but i can't find the link...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Greedy4nismo

dunno if its even possible to get it anymore, but mastergrade / asuka made a fuel door relocation kit available with their widebody kits

i like it, but like i said, no clue if you can still get this
Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
07pearlwhiteZ

Originally Posted by Louis21
Not only is it flimsy but in my case it seems like it doesn't fully flush with the panel, its a bit raised on the edge if you look at it closely. Also in my gas cap (the actual screw cap) the little plastic screw that holds the string to the panel, broke a few months after getting the car. Now i have that string just dangling around and have to literally take off the cap and put in on top of the pump all the time....wonder how long before i forget to put it back on and drive off without it..

You know there's a little hook on the inside of the fuel door that you can hang the screw on cap on while you're filling up, right? My string is still attached, but I can't stand the screw on cap touching my paint and making a mark or something, so I always use the little hook. I'm not looking at it, but if I'm remembering correctly, it's on the bottom edge of the door(I could be totally wrong on the placement, but you'll see what I'm talking about). But I agree with everyone else obviously, my gas door doesn't sit flush either
Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Louis21

Originally Posted by 07pearlwhiteZ
You know there's a little hook on the inside of the fuel door that you can hang the screw on cap on while you're filling up, right? My string is still attached, but I can't stand the screw on cap touching my paint and making a mark or something, so I always use the little hook. I'm not looking at it, but if I'm remembering correctly, it's on the bottom edge of the door(I could be totally wrong on the placement, but you'll see what I'm talking about). But I agree with everyone else obviously, my gas door doesn't sit flush either
Yeah but then the plastic string is left dangling and I fear it rubbing against the paint (just like you, i don't want the plastic string rubbing against the paint and making a scratch). I know i could just cut the plastic string off but I've been holding off in case I'm able to find one of those little plastic screws and get it fixed..
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
DelayedZ

Does anyone have the link to that aluminum fuel door on where to buy? Most of the links in that thread are dead.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 PM
moforeynolds

Damn, here I thought that my gas door just had POS fitament...now I know this is pretty normal

I really like that chrome fuel door and remember seeing it a while back; it's made by Cobra but they don't have it listed on their site that I can find:

www.cobra2007.de

I was able to dig up this pdf install sheet:
http://www.etraxx.com/pdf/Z_Fuel_Lid_Install.pdf

Greedy4Nismo, that fuel door on the Mastergrade car just looks like a fiberglass or CF piece with a Sparco fuel door built in to it, and obviously a custom fuel neck:

You can always go this route I suppose, but there is more custom work than it seems that would have to be done to the fender to get the Sparco door to work.