Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd seat in the Z .... Possible???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 03:53 AM
Daewoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd seat in the Z .... Possible???

I have been thinking about adding an additional seat in my z. I saw that another member was thinking the same thing.

What do you guys think?

The Audi TT has second row and so does the porche. It sounds reasonable that this should be do-able?

I was thinking about putting it where my storage box is currently located. The question is the cutting of the sheet metal that houses the speakers and the storage box.

The seat would be for a mini-me (One of my kids). I was thinking about a 911 type briefcase holder seat.

i wanted a Z so I got a Z. i didn't want a g35.

I was thining of putting it behind the passanger seat. How difficult would it be to buy a small brine-ish seat and have a metal worker. intsall the tracks for the seat over tank.

Then have a roll cage installed to make up for metal taken out (speaker and storage box).

This doesn't seem like an insane idea to me. how about some constructive responses. Think it can be done?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 06:38 AM
junglist350Z

i dont think it can be done, if you look at the skeleton view of the car (my350z.com homepage) you can see that there is a lot of metal and bracing right behind the seats
Old 07-24-2003, 10:53 AM
zcar70

Default You have GOT to be kidding me!

ADDING a third seat to the Z....... LOL!!!

Old 07-24-2003, 11:34 AM
WashUJon

WHY?
Old 07-24-2003, 12:08 PM
Daewoo

Ok you guys r basically Asses

If u read the first ****ing post it says b/c I have kids and in a pinch it would be nice. I have 3 vehicles but soemtimes it would be nice to take my kids out for a spin in th Z.

The real question is ...............WHY R U SUCH AN ***?????
Old 07-24-2003, 12:27 PM
90260Z

Don't mind my flash light in the pocket but you can sit on my lap....
Old 07-24-2003, 12:28 PM
ZDreamZ

Well is not that were being A$$'s it's just that you bought a 2 seater sports car. You could've gotten a G35 coupe and you would've been fine, same performance right. Fact of the matter is that it would be nearly impossible, not to mention silly, to do such a modification. It would probably cost big bux, money that be spent on mods. You said you have 3 other cars, haul the kids in that. Child safety is first and the Z is meant to be driven insanely fast !
Old 07-24-2003, 04:18 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default geeeezzzz

Originally posted by Daewoo
Ok you guys r basically Asses

If u read the first ****ing post it says b/c I have kids and in a pinch it would be nice. I have 3 vehicles but soemtimes it would be nice to take my kids out for a spin in th Z.

The real question is ...............WHY R U SUCH AN ***?????

Come on, if you suggest adding a 2nd row seat to a brand new 2 seater sports car DESPITE the fact that there is a 4 seat version readily available (G35) then you MUST expect some abuse.

That said....

In repsonse to your question.... it would be unwise to add a seat yourself. There is a LOT of hidden engineering involved with safety testing the seating positions in a car. If you do something wrong you could build something quite dangerous. Asside from the obvious seat belts (required by law for kids in most states) there are things like knee bolsters, padding ,etc.

For example, the back of the Z seats are not padded to protect occupants sitting behind them.

If it was me, I would not attempt it. If something happened I would never be able to live with myself.
The following users liked this post:
Accel (04-17-2016)
Old 07-24-2003, 07:53 PM
JasonZ

I know where youre comming from since the old 300ZX had a 2+2 version which is basically the G35 coupe in this case. I did hear of people putting custom rear seats in the 93-95 RX-7's so I believe it is possible....but I think the negatives outweigh the positives. The car will not be as rigid and well balanced reguardless of a rollbar and of course safety comes as a major concern. I wouldnt take chances with the child. Plus, he/she will be in the drivers seat before you know it.

Jason
Old 07-24-2003, 08:30 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually dude your being the @ss now.

You posted here https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=37166

and the response was NO.

You posted here and the response was NO.

If you don't like the Answers then don't ask the Questions!

If we're all such asses here, why don't you take you Z to a installer and ask him to install one for you. See what his answer is. If he saids no is he an @ss? or see how much hes gonna R@pe you for to do the install.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:28 PM
350zdanny

I know where youre comming from since the old 300ZX had a 2+2 version which is basically the G35 coupe in this case. I did hear of people putting custom rear seats in the 93-95 RX-7's so I believe it is possible....but I think the negatives outweigh the positives. The car will not be as rigid and well balanced reguardless of a rollbar and of course safety comes as a major concern. I wouldnt take chances with the child. Plus, he/she will be in the drivers seat before you know it.
RX7 is a different case. In Canada rear seats were an option instead of the bins. Nobody could sit back there except for dwarves (or little people to be politically correct). So bascially taht was an OEM part people were adding. It looked like a s s too. Just wanted to clear that up.

Dan
Old 07-24-2003, 10:33 PM
samw1978

Well, you chose the 350Z instead of the G35 before, that means you didn't think you'd take your kids in the Z, now you want to add a 3rd seat???
Trade in your car for a G35 then... that'll be easier

And is it POSSIBLE to add a 3rd seat? I think with $$$$, everything's possible, but please don't ruin a Z...
just my $.02
Old 07-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Silver Bullit II

Default Daewoo...

Go for it, it's easy.

JMS in TX
Old 07-25-2003, 05:06 AM
Daewoo

AndyB, ZDreamZ, JasonZ and samw1978

- thanks for the response. That is all I wanted. A nice logical (helpful) response. I appreciate it.

alphared - No I am not being an ***. I moved this question here because I got such a F#@ked up response from A$$holes like you. I also realized that I should not have posted that in the Audio forum and it was better placed here. If u responded on that thread y respond here. Ur r just trying hard to be a little B!TCH RN’T U!

I also have a problem with folks still telling me that the G35 is the same as the Z. Internally yes but externally no. The cars look totally different. If I wanted a G35 I would have gotten one. I like the Zs look much better and think the nostalgia exist with the Z that does not exist with the G35.

I also didn't say that I MUST DO THIS!!!!!!!!

I said I was exploring the idea. Isn't this what the hell this board is for? Isn't it for exploring ideas and trying new ****?

It shouldn't be a place for cowards to be a$$es on line when they would never be that type of an a$$ to my face.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:05 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Daewoo

alphared - No I am not being an ***. I moved this question here because I got such a F#@ked up response from A$$holes like you. I also realized that I should not have posted that in the Audio forum and it was better placed here. If u responded on that thread y respond here. Ur r just trying hard to be a little B!TCH RN’T U!

Yes First of all you posted in the wrong forum. And you got the same answers here as you did there.
Tell me, in what way was my response F up?? I told you the logistic of it and in no way flamin you like some did. Yes I reply there, is there a rule that says I can't reply here also?? I replied here because for some reason you can't take NO for an answer and the fact that you're calling memembers here @sses for flaming you (which by the way surprised that he didn't get a warning for)

I also have a problem with folks still telling me that the G35 is the same as the Z. Internally yes but externally no. The cars look totally different. If I wanted a G35 I would have gotten one. I like the Zs look much better and think the nostalgia exist with the Z that does not exist with the G35.
See you have a problem with people telling you to get the G35, which by the way is a logical solution. What do you do, call them @sses

I also didn't say that I MUST DO THIS!!!!!!!!

I said I was exploring the idea. Isn't this what the hell this board is for? Isn't it for exploring ideas and trying new ****?
You didn't say that you must do it, so why get so defensives? You got responses, but yet you still ask the same question. If you had no intention on going thru with it why keep asking the same question?

Yes this board is to discuss ideas on mods and other 350Z related topics, If you had used search, you would've know that you weren't the first to ask if it was possible to add a backrow. They, like you got the same response. Yet unlike you they didn't get all defensives and curse out the board.

It shouldn't be a place for cowards to be a$$es on line when they would never be that type of an a$$ to my face.

See once again cursing out the board. I stand by what I've said. Yes I called you an @ss here, which clearly you have just proven. you're the coward that resorted to name calling like a grade school kid just cause he didn't like the responses. If it was face to face I'll tell you the same thing, but then again it's pointless seeing how you don't know the meaning of word NO.

Last edited by alphared; 07-25-2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Daewoo

Mr Alphred -

This is the way u responded to my question:

actually dude your being the @ss now.

U think this is Civil and useful? NO I understand that and that is why I flamed you! U think that u weren't being an a$$ here?

You then said:

told you the logistic of it and in no way flamin you like some did

Where?

You then said:

If you don't like the Answers then don't ask the Questions!

I like helpful answers and thanked those who gave them. Urs were not useful! u offered no "logistics" u were just flaming plain and simple!

Then you said:

If we're all such asses here, why don't you take you Z to a installer and ask him to install one for you. See what his answer is. If he saids no is he an @ss? or see how much hes gonna R@pe you for to do the install.

Yeh I guess this is just you giving me more "Logistics" right?

And lastly, I did get real answers here! I wasn't asking for a yes answer! Just a real answer with substance.

"No", "Why" and "ADDING a third seat to the Z....... LOL!!!" answers deserve the response I gave.

Lastly, a little word of advice. u should be careful what u say to people on the internet u never know what they r capable of...........

Last edited by Daewoo; 07-25-2003 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:29 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK little girls, stop pulling each others hair.

thread closed

oh yah, 3rd seat eh? here's a solution move your steering wheel to center and add to seats to the sides of the middle seat A LA McLarenF1, hope you got lots of mula!