Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with new Mastergrade CF Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 PM
ChrisNelson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha.

So I contacted the ebay member that Jim posted and he replied claiming that it was not Boomer but that he could tell his vendor to contact me. A short while later I had a message from Boomer.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
oh4TreefiddyZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisNelson
hahaha.

So I contacted the ebay member that Jim posted and he replied claiming that it was not Boomer but that he could tell his vendor to contact me. A short while later I had a message from Boomer.
Believe me, it is Boomer or Manny. I was asked to start that EXACT same Ebay account just days before I quit the shop. We had vendor accounts set-up under that exact name for VIS, SEIBON, AIT, Etc.

Glad I could have been of assitance in getting a reply to you, now if I could get one from Boomer that would be great !
Old 11-20-2009, 02:53 PM
ChrisNelson

Just for the fun of it I had the guys at the body shop test fit this hatch. Not only is it scratched and cracked, but the fitment is very poor.

The center section of the top-front where the glass mounts bows down about a 1/4" and the glass probably won't seal there. Also, because it bows so much in the middle, the glass would probably interfere with the roof.

The passenger side fits pretty good, but the drivers side seems "lifted" as if the piece is twisted, but I don't think that's possible.

I think this is more proof of me having received an old defective version of the product.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM
ChrisNelson

Are the vendors who are reselling this product having the same misfortune as myself and many other customers are having - regarding the fit and finish?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's popping up more and more. I think you actually got lucky with your hatch. Mine looks like that WITH modified hinges. Without it looked like a nightmare. The worst part is that it's all CF. Even though I painted mine to match the body, there wasn't anything the bodyshop could do with it. If it was fiberglass there would be more options.
This is the only mod I wish I never went through with.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:13 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a shame, because I think the design is great- it's a very sharp looking hatch.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

ChrisNelson, when you put on the CF Pillars they will match up.. I had the similar prob but as I put on the CF Pillars they matched up near perfect. OEM Pillars will make it look that way.

I did my entire install on every CF Part, because I want perfection (prob never happen with CF). I know anytime u buy CF its hit or miss. Sometimes u gotta tweak it and thats when ur skills come in. I have skills but there is only so much I can do.

This hatch will work, if others have oem glass on it why cant you? Just have ur body shop reclear it and ull be good to go! So what if it has some small cracks, just deal with it because ur having no luck with any Customer Service..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 11-21-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 AM
ChrisNelson

Jay'z,
I don't have CF pillars, and I'm not sure how that would make the problems go away. The cracks and scratches I could deal with by painting the hatch, but painting it to six the finish problems, and adding CF pillars will not fix this:

The drivers side fits really bad. Also, the body shop said that if I install the glass on this hatch it will probably not seal in the middle due to the severe bending issue, and also it may hit the roof when you open it all the way. These two things are unforgivable.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Sir they are a body shop not a glass shop, it will seal. I am not going to argue with you or try to convince you of anything. I am trying to make your situation somewhat better. I am saying some ASUKA cf PILLARS MATCH UP with the HATCH right where your having problems. NOT the OEM PILLARS.. If you dont want CF Pillars fine, sell the hatch. Buy a Seibon, I mean after the length of time u have been waiting I would have moved on.

Honestly from what I have seen they are not a great body shop because I have done a better job with fitting the Asuka Type II hatch. You have type I so Im sure u could upgrade to type II. Not to mention it will look a lot better once they transfer all the stock parts off the oem hatch.

I only recommended CLEAR COAT not repainting it.

Last edited by Jay'Z; 11-21-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine pops out on the driver side a little bit. I haven't had a chance to play around with it some more, but it doesn't seem as bad as other peoples.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
ChrisNelson

Originally Posted by BakaN20
Mine pops out on the driver side a little bit. I haven't had a chance to play around with it some more, but it doesn't seem as bad as other peoples.

Thanks for posting the pic. Did yours have the dip in the mating surface for the glass too, or just the poor alignment?
Old 11-21-2009, 02:04 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for posting the pic. Did yours have the dip in the mating surface for the glass too, or just the poor alignment?
I bought the hatch from rxkevin on the forums. He had the glass installed already when I got it. No problems with the glass on, just part of the seal is not in properly but can be fixed. His was perfectly aligned on his car, but he had cf roof and cf pillars, so it was perfect fit. When I put my hatch on his car, it was still a perfect fit. It is just fitment with mine, but I think I can fix it. I will drill out the lock and some other parts so I can move the hatch more on the driver side, hard to explain. The passenger side fits much better than driver side. Also, he gave me the lightweight cf hatch struts, which ones are you using?
Old 11-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by BakaN20
I bought the hatch from rxkevin on the forums. He had the glass installed already when I got it. No problems with the glass on, just part of the seal is not in properly but can be fixed. His was perfectly aligned on his car, but he had cf roof and cf pillars, so it was perfect fit. When I put my hatch on his car, it was still a perfect fit. It is just fitment with mine, but I think I can fix it. I will drill out the lock and some other parts so I can move the hatch more on the driver side, hard to explain. The passenger side fits much better than driver side. Also, he gave me the lightweight cf hatch struts, which ones are you using?
ChrisNelson,

He just basically confirmed what I said about the a pillars, you going to listen to me now? He also is saying he may drill out the hatch hinge to have bigger holes for alignment movement, which is what I said also.

Were trying to help you, the big problem is having it at a body shop thats prob never installed any cf products.

Last edited by Jay'Z; 11-21-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 PM
ChrisNelson

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
So what if it has some small cracks, just deal with it because ur having no luck with any Customer Service..
I'm sorry but I can't just roll over and give up on this. I won't be happy with a piece that is scratched and cracked either. I shouldn't have to settle for less in this scenario.

I am saying some ASUKA cf PILLARS MATCH UP with the HATCH right where your having problems. NOT the OEM PILLARS.. If you dont want CF Pillars fine, sell the hatch. Buy a Seibon, I mean after the length of time u have been waiting I would have moved on.
Jay, did you have this problem before you installed the CF Pillars? Maybe you already had them on, I don't know. Did yours fit the same way mine is? And yes this is taking a long time to rectify, but I'm not giving up. This is the look I want - and if you can get good results, then I'm confident I can too.

Honestly from what I have seen they are not a great body shop because I have done a better job with fitting the Asuka Type II hatch.
I would love to upgrade to the Type II hatch - I didn't know there were two versions. Is the only difference the full carbon fiber on type II?

The body shop I am using is very good - they're just not used to dealing with shoddy aftermarket body parts that don't fit right, let alone CF. Not many people do a lot with CF where I live. I wish that were different.

Thanks for keeping the input and suggestions coming people. Jay, thanks for your input based on your experience. This is the first CF body panel I've every purchased and I'll be damned if I get screwed over on it.

Last edited by ChrisNelson; 11-21-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:51 AM
oh4TreefiddyZee

So, in order to "fix" hisproblem your suggesting he spend $400+ on some carbon fiber A-pillars that may or maynot fix the fitment issues, but it's still cracked and scratched.....don't seem like much of a fix to me.

The Asuka type 2 is made in the same process as the type one, but its made by Asuka and made in Vietnam.I can not comment on the quality and I have not seen one in person, and have only seen 1 or 2 in pictures.

Mastergrade's hatch mold is screwed. Boomer has known this for almost a year now, since TSG pointed out his hatch to us. Boomer claimed to have went bac and fixed the mold, which cleary didn't happen. Here's the thing with molds, they deteriate over time. As they begin to deteriate and are not checked, then the mold begins to deform causing the one side to lift and shifting the mounting points down further thus leaving that huge gap up by the roof.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 AM
oh4TreefiddyZee

Also, just a heads up that Boomer does know about this thread. I finally received contact from him last Friday (after I started posting the information I know first hand about his company), in his e-mail he once agreed to finally send me the money that is still owed to me but I have yet to get another reply or my money since then.

Don't ever believe a word this guy says.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

ouch
Old 11-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

I'm sorry but I can't just roll over and give up on this. I won't be happy with a piece that is scratched and cracked either. I shouldn't have to settle for less in this scenario.

Jay, did you have this problem before you installed the CF Pillars? Maybe you already had them on, I don't know. Did yours fit the same way mine is? And yes this is taking a long time to rectify, but I'm not giving up. This is the look I want - and if you can get good results, then I'm confident I can too.

I would love to upgrade to the Type II hatch - I didn't know there were two versions. Is the only difference the full carbon fiber on type II?

The body shop I am using is very good - they're just not used to dealing with shoddy aftermarket body parts that don't fit right, let alone CF. Not many people do a lot with CF where I live. I wish that were different.

Thanks for keeping the input and suggestions coming people. Jay, thanks for your input based on your experience. This is the first CF body panel I've every purchased and I'll be damned if I get screwed over on it.
Yes, I did have this exact same problem, but I loved the look and found a solution after some thinking. I placed some washers underneath the Asuka CF pillars to pick it up a few mm. It looks great now. The pillars just need to be adjusted not the Hatch. The type II is a good fit IMO, I know CF will never be perfect no such a huge piece that doesnt have millions of $ behind it like Seibon. But its a damn hot looking Hatch!!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 AM
oro

So since the molds eventually deteriorated is the only way to get a good fitting mastergrade/asuka hatch to buy from someone who had one of the first?

I love this hatch, but I definitely am not a body work guy, so it sounds like that automatically puts me out of the running for even messing with this thing. From reading is it still Boomer who is the sole distributer of all of these?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
ITOzann

ohh man.. and I was thinking about getting the hatch

Quick Reply: Issues with new Mastergrade CF Hatch