Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full bumper or front lip? v. GROUND CLEARANCE

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 AM
cosmec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full bumper or front lip? v. GROUND CLEARANCE

Hey all. The mod bug is biting, this time for visuals. The only problem is my car is daily driven (about 20miles a day) and the driveway at my girlfriends house is pretty steep. I was going to go with a front lip add on; either VS or CWest in carbon fiber but I got to thinking that possibly some of the full bumpers have more ground clearance than adding a lip on to the bumper already. Some of the bumpers I'm thinking of are the Amuse rep from Shine, a V2 rep, or possibly an aerosync. Any info/comments you guys have is welcome as always. Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 PM
futureowner

It really all depends on how low your car is suspension wise, some bumpers or lips will make it somewhat lower but not that much.

I have a nismo rep lip on now and am currently lowered on sportlines, its low and the lip scrapes on a couple steep driveways but not many. I also have a nismo v2 rep bumper I planned on putting on but after I test fit it it wasnt quite low enough to match the look I wanted.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 PM
arsey51

I had the JP Type S lip mounted on stock bumper, with mild drop from Hotchkis springs, and barely cleared speed bumps. Changed over to INGS Type E Longnose front bumper and have slightly more clearance, clears most of the speed bumps and usually don't scrape on driveways, but then I always go in at an angle provided there's room to enter the driveway that way.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:02 PM
cosmec

I'm lowered on GF210s so pretty low. Thanks for the info guys. This isnt my first lowered car so I know how to drive one/use angles up steep driveways but I just want to give myself the most clearance possible ya know?

so futureowner, your nismo V2 was actually higher than puttign a front lip on?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

A lip spoiler might be a better choice.

Let's say that you DO break whatever part you bought... The full bumper is (in theory) going to be more expensive than a lip. At that point, which would you rather have?

Also, consider a company that offers a warranty for the parts. We offer the customer the chance to buy a replacement part for 50% off if they break their original for ANY reason.

If it were me, I'd go for the lip spoiler.

Last edited by Brian@VeilSide; 02-23-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

It really depends on what lip vs what bumper but I agree with Brian. I'd rather pay to repair/respray a front lip then a front bumper.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM
cosmec

Originally Posted by Brian@VeilSide
A lip spoiler might be a better choice.

Let's say that you DO break whatever part you bought... The full bumper is (in theory) going to be more expensive than a lip. At that point, which would you rather have?

Also, consider a company that offers a warranty for the parts. We offer the customer the chance to buy a replacement part for 50% off if they break their original for ANY reason.

If it were me, I'd go for the lip spoiler.
That is a great point. Do I have to buy the lip directly from Veilside to get that 50% off deal on another lip?

Also, the bumpers I'd get would be:
Amuse(rep)
V2
Aerosync

Lips would be:
Veilside
Cwest
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

As long as you get a real VeilSide lip, then you will get a card to fill out and send back to us.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Start parking in your gf's street lol. My first lip crack came from a steep driveway i had no business trying to go up. If your downstate NY learn to adapt fast or you will destroy your lip. Check your usual gas station you go to( I barely clear mine by millimeters). Ramps at work, speed bumps you encounter. Ish like that.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Veilside lip looks low but it only brings the front down a couple inches.
It portrudes outward so it gives the car the effect that it is a lot lower.
(I'm slammed a little over 2.5 in the front and I still clear standard speedbumps.)

Brian makes some good points. Another factor is you will eventually find that one driveway or parking lot exit where you CAN'T go untouched. A polyurethane lip will flex pretty well. A full bumper will stress and crack at the attachment points, or give you spiderweb cracks if you're not careful.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had a Seibon lip and a V2 Rep and I always had more trouble with the lip, however I think the V2 was slightly lower. If I remember correctly the V2 doesn't extend outward as far and was easier to get in and out of driveways.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
A polyurethane lip will flex pretty well. A full bumper will stress and crack at the attachment points, or give you spiderweb cracks if you're not careful.
If you can find a poly bumper/lip you like go with it, Stillen, Nismo V3, & some V3 Replicas. They take abuse like nothing else.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
cosmec

Yeah I've heard that poly is a better material with flexing. The only problem is I want a lip in CF. Is that a dumb move? Will these shatter as soon as I scrape something? Thanks for all the posts guys, very helpful sofar.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Brian@VeilSide
Vendor - Former Vendor

Here is my take on it.

FRP lip - Cheaper, paint to match your car. Easier to repair than Carbon Fiber lip.
CF lip - Get it if you want the look of a Carbon Fiber lip. Once it gets beat up, it's going to be harder to repair. You might find that it's easier to fill the chips and cracks and paint the whole thing at that point.
Urethane - very durable, but Urethane is pretty heavy and can warp in high heat.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
themadhatterxxx

Originally Posted by cosmec
Yeah I've heard that poly is a better material with flexing. The only problem is I want a lip in CF. Is that a dumb move? Will these shatter as soon as I scrape something? Thanks for all the posts guys, very helpful sofar.
If you live in NYC a CF lip is not worth the trouble for daily driven cars imo because of the horrible roads. I would go with either the Shine Amuse or Aerosync, both are as durable as your going to get for the money. Just have a plan for the rest of your exterior mods to flow around your choice.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by themadhatterxxx
If you live in NYC a CF lip is not worth the trouble for daily driven cars imo because of the horrible roads. I would go with either the Shine Amuse or Aerosync, both are as durable as your going to get for the money. Just have a plan for the rest of your exterior mods to flow around your choice.
What he really means is you should buy from Auto Infantry
Old 02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
cosmec

Originally Posted by themadhatterxxx
I actually moved out of NYC to a town in Jersey 2 weeks ago. I still drive on some poopy roads, but nothing as bad as NYC. Alot of my driving is freeway driving now.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Zazz93

I destroyed my CF lip on a driveway. The driveway had a lose block and went went over it the block ripped my lip in two pieces. I blame low strength and lack of flexibility for the problem (not to mention a moving unmarked road hazard). For me, only a poly piece could have survived that. I've moved to a piece with similar low strength but high flexibility (Shine bumper) and so far so good.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
themadhatterxxx

Shine's hybrid FRP blend is very high quality... http://www.shineautoproject.com/materials.htm
Old 02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anyone with a CF lip who hasn't at least semi-destroyed it.