Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Takata bolt on harness question???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Nismokingz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Takata bolt on harness question???

I got a pair of takata seat belt harness.
Name:  ab09f8c5.jpg
Views: 2801
Size:  22.4 KB
I was wondering if I could use them with a harness bar or do I have to mount them with the eye bolts. Or could I do either or sorry if it is a newbie question thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 AM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

P/N MPH-341? If so, then yes, you can do it either way, although I would recommend a harness bar to get the angle right.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

To wrap around a harness bar, i have seen some have to remove, buy cutting off the "clip" end from the top two straps in order to do so.........

As for the lap belts, you may need to buy eyelets to mount at the seat frame rails or where ever you chose custom..........

I called and these would work with the takata clip:

Just remove the seat frame rail bolts and verifiy its 7/16-20 thread before you buy. Im certain it is...

-J
Attached Thumbnails Takata bolt on harness question???-harness-wrapping-around-bar.jpg   Takata bolt on harness question???-scrp_0603_safetybelt_install_06_z.jpg   Takata bolt on harness question???-eyebolt.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 03-23-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Roll bar or don't bother, IMO. Or keep them there for looks and don't use them.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:01 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Default Pure coincidence...

I just recieved one harness yesterday as well. I was going to start a similar thread asking for advice. I too was curious about wrapping the shoulder straps around the Sparco harness bar I have, but I also had a question about one of the eye bolts. The one that replaces the bolt that holds the lap clip in place on the side of the seat. I'm imaging I'll have to pull the seat to remove and install the eyebolt, due to not having enough room between the seat and center console/tranny hump. Can someone please confirm this?

Pics of course...

Name:  IMG00385-20100322-15221.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  251.0 KB

Name:  IMG00394-20100322-21071.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  IMG00387-20100322-21051.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  IMG00390-20100322-21051.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  IMG00392-20100322-21061.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  72.1 KB

The eyebolt that attaches to the frame is pretty self explainatory.

Name:  IMG00393-20100322-21071.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  121.5 KB

Last edited by VO...; 03-23-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by vo7848
I just recieved one harness yesterday as well. I was going to start a similar thread asking for advice. I too was curious about wrapping the shoulder straps around the Sparco harness bar I have, but I also had a question about one of the eye bolts. The one that replaces the bolt that holds the lap clip in place on the side of the seat. I'm imaging I'll have to pull the seat to remove and install the eyebolt, due to not having enough room between the seat and center console/tranny hump. Can someone please confirm this?

Pics of course...
I didn't/wouldn't use that stock seat belt bolt. I also don't like how far back the Sparco harness bar is, but that's just the worry wart in me. I followed this procedure, so drilled 3 new holes in the floor with backing plates for the eye bolts.

http://www.gforce.com/pdf/Harness_Install_Info.pdf
Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Nismokingz33

[QUOTE=JasonZ-YA;8238652]To wrap around a harness bar, i have seen some have to remove, buy cutting off the "clip" end from the top two straps in order to do so.........

Do you have any links or pics of this mod??? I don't think mine can switch off from bolt on to wrap around for the harness bar.

Name:  886cd489.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  145.8 KB

Name:  2f5baac0.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  144.7 KB
Old 03-23-2010, 08:54 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ look at the first two pics in post #3.........

for the harnesses i had, i actually had to get the clip to the end, and cut the end to remove it, then wrap the harness around the harness bar as shown in post #3 spec...

-J
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

The eyebolt that attaches to the frame is pretty self explainatory.
Don't use those points! use the seat points in the rear for both the left and right side lap mount.

Use these two:

If i remember right - they are 7/16-20 pitch - which is why i had that last pic in post #3 from peagusas saved in my jump drive...

-J
Attached Thumbnails Takata bolt on harness question???-img00393-20100322-21071.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 03-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

If you do wanna use that seat belt mounting point in your picture, you can do what this guy did..........which is what Scotts300 said about drilling holes and using mounting plates.

Another members pics taken from another thread:

Belt location you show - of course no mounting plate needed here:

Inside location - tranny tunnel location - hole drilled and mounting plate used:

You can simply drill hole and add a free mounting plate and nut, or you can have a mounting plate welded......etc..up to you.

if your trying to follow rule books, then you wanna double check it for sure, but i believe its a welded 4x4 inch plate minimum with XX amount of thickness...i believe 3/16 inch thick minimum but i would need to look it up to be sure..

-J
Attached Thumbnails Takata bolt on harness question???-seat-belt-outer-mount-2.jpg   Takata bolt on harness question???-seat-belt-inner-mount-.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 03-23-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Nismokingz33

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ look at the first two pics in post #3.........

for the harnesses i had, i actually had to get the clip to the end, and cut the end to remove it, then wrap the harness around the harness bar as shown in post #3 spec...

-J
Just to be sure I cut where my finger is pointing....sorry for all the questions better safe than sorry you know.

Name:  2d127622.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  146.2 KB
Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^^ NO!!!

look really close at how to wrap the harness over a bar in my post #3:

To do so, you need to remove the clip end, not that part!

go get a closet pole from your spare bedroom and try it out there in your living room..??

-J
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

If you decide to drill holes by following this http://www.gforce.com/pdf/Harness_Install_Info.pdf

might as well put them in the right spot, which is 2.5" forward of where the seat and back intersect. Mine are quite a bit more forward than these:

Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM
VO...
Administrator

Don't use those points! use the seat points in the rear for both the left and right side lap mount.

Use these two:

-J
Not to contradict you, but I read the Takata manual. In the manual it states against using the rear seat rail bolts as anchor points for the lap belts. I could have misread it however. Maybe it said not to mount the lap belts there using "L" brackets. Ideally, this is where I would like to anchor the lap belts. So was I wrong in what I read in the Takata manual Jason?

If you do wanna use that seat belt mounting point in your picture, you can do what this guy did..........which is what Scotts300 said about drilling holes and using mounting plates.

Another members pics taken from another thread:

Inside location - tranny tunnel location - hole drilled and mounting plate used:
The mounting plate you speak of. Is this a plate that goes on the other side of the drilled hole? A plate that has to be treaded, so the eyebolt can screw into?

Belt location you show - of course no mounting plate needed here:

-J
This is the anchor point the Takata manual suggest. But yes, I'd like to avoid this location if possible. On the same token, I'm also trying to avoid welding into the chasis or drilling new holes. I appreciate the input Jason. Keep it coming...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Not to contradict you, but I read the Takata manual. In the manual it states against using the rear seat rail bolts as anchor points for the lap belts. I could have misread it however. Maybe it said not to mount the lap belts there using "L" brackets. Ideally, this is where I would like to anchor the lap belts. So was I wrong in what I read in the Takata manual Jason?
Yes, your right, they tell you not to mount there as a "general rule" because people always make L brackets that slip under or over the rails when mounting there! L brackets are not allowed as it creates a bending moment on the L bracket mount point and becomes a point that can break.....so in general they tell you not too.......

the L brackets are also against the rules for SCCA/NASA, etc, so thats why...

The mounting plate you speak of. Is this a plate that goes on the other side of the drilled hole? A plate that has to be treaded, so the eyebolt can screw into?
NO, the plate isnt threaded......per the rules the plate has to be welded to the chassis and must be a size that is listed in the rule books.........but most just drill a hole, add free (not welded) plate to the back side and a lock nut, washers and a torque nut.

This is the anchor point the Takata manual suggest. But yes, I'd like to avoid this location if possible. On the same token, I'm also trying to avoid welding into the chasis or drilling new holes. I appreciate the input Jason. Keep it coming...
Yeah, i hear ya........welding, drilling, etc......all that sucks big time, but in the end its all up to you........

me personally, even though i have the means and capability, Im also to lazy and just mounted mine to the seat rails with eyebolts like pictured from the peaguasus auto picture.

IN the end - its up to you! - If I went to a real hard core event where the tech inspectors prior to the event actually knew anything other that check the battery i would mostl likely fail, but my local autoX event holders simple go out open the hood and peak around, kick my tires and mistake my nismo diff for lug nuts loose....... they have no real clue.........

so yes, its not exactly to spec, but whos checking.......?? so for me im content for now, one day ill get around to it.....lol..

-J
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
VO...
Administrator

Yes, your right, they tell you not to mount there as a "general rule" because people always make L brackets that slip under or over the rails when mounting there! L brackets are not allowed as it creates a bending moment on the L bracket mount point and becomes a point that can break.....so in general they tell you not too.......
Thanks for clarifying this Jason. I'm going to use the seat rail bolts as my anchor points then.

the L brackets are also against the rules for SCCA/NASA, etc, so thats why...

NO, the plate isnt threaded......per the rules the plate has to be welded to the chassis and must be a size that is listed in the rule books.........but most just drill a hole, add free (not welded) plate to the back side and a lock nut, washers and a torque nut.

Yeah, i hear ya........welding, drilling, etc......all that sucks big time, but in the end its all up to you........

me personally, even though i have the means and capability, Im also to lazy and just mounted mine to the seat rails with eyebolts like pictured from the peaguasus auto picture.

-J
Yeah, too much work for me...
Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Thanks for clarifying this Jason. I'm going to use the seat rail bolts as my anchor points then.

Yeah, too much work for me...
Vo,
What about the whole "lap belts in a vertical position so they don't crush your insides in an impact" concern? If there is too much angle, a frontal impact makes your body go forward, and then the harness belts get tension and lift up on the lap belt. If the lap belt is angled, it'll slide up and into your stomach versus tighten up against your thunder thighs and gonads. It should make a 45-55 degree angle with the bottom of the seat. I also think the Sparco bar is too far back, but that's just me.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Nismokingz33

^^ NO!!!

look really close at how to wrap the harness over a bar in my post #3:

To do so, you need to remove the clip end, not that part!

go get a closet pole from your spare bedroom and try it out there in your living room..??

-J
So it's going to look something like this once I cut the clip???
Name:  afd746fd.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  152.1 KB
Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Hey Val have you decided to wrap around the harness bar or latch onto eye bolt mounted in the child safty seat hole or are you gonna thread the shoulder straps through the harness bar then latch onto an eye bolt?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Nismokingz33
So it's going to look something like this once I cut the clip???
that looks close.........but i cant be certain cause i cant see the end??? where is the end of the strap......and get the clip with the eyebolt to the end..and ill show you where.

-J

Quick Reply: Takata bolt on harness question???