Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Turn Signal/Reverse Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010 | 11:38 AM
tayb350z

Default Turn Signal/Reverse Light Help

So last night I decided to try to tint my tail lights and turn signals. I used VHT Nite-Shades and the tail lights came out fine but once I got to the turn signals I came across a problem. I used a scuff pad on the turn signals before giving them their first coat and as soon as I sprayed them it looks as if the paint wasn't sticking at all it looked like I was spraying it on something that was wet. So, I got some lacquer thinner and rubbed it off then dried it to try to find out what was wrong. I could pick at it with my finger nail and it would start to flake off almost like there was some sort of tape or something covering the light. I tried about 3 times on the light and the same thing happened every time. It is the one on the driver side I will show some pics it looks almost as if its cracked but its not, the passenger side is crystal clear. Any ideas of what this might be or how to get rid of it/make the paint stick? Thanks

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:

Old 06-01-2010 | 02:42 PM
Waiz
Premier Member
Premier Member

Looks like you scratched the surface of the light housing.

You may need to buy a headlight restoration kit and hopefully that should remove the blemishes.

I would suggest not tinting them with the paint but using a plastic tint film instead.
Old 06-01-2010 | 03:28 PM
vics350z

Why would you want to tint your lights......Did you know that with time the tint will cause it to crack and water to come in. And the sun damage that this will cause will make you want to buy new ones. I know your car is black and you want to have a clean look but tint is not the answer you are a Z owner not a Honda owner. Hope you don't take this the wrong why.
Old 06-01-2010 | 03:33 PM
Goo$e
Banned

Those can't be macro photos (flower icon)? They are blurry.
Old 06-01-2010 | 03:55 PM
MODDEDZ

Originally Posted by vics350z
Why would you want to tint your lights......Did you know that with time the tint will cause it to crack and water to come in. And the sun damage that this will cause will make you want to buy new ones. I know your car is black and you want to have a clean look but tint is not the answer you are a Z owner not a Honda owner. Hope you don't take this the wrong why.
Wow...

taby350z, all you have do is spray one light coat on and let it dry. I'd say wait 10 mins or more, then spray the rest of the coats until you achieve the shade you want.