Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M paint film isn't so great

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:20 PM
MaelstrØm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M paint film isn't so great

When I bought my 350z (superblack), I put on 3M paint protecting film on the front fascia, a hoodline strip, and around the sides. We all know the paint on the 350z is pathetic, which is why I was trying to avoid chips.

After about 15,000 miles of driving, I took a look at the paint film - here are my results.

The paint film has many pits in it, which I assume would have been pits in my paint. So the film wins here. HOWEVER, there are large white chips exposed (showing primer) right through the 3M film in probably a dozen places. They tend to be sizeable chips, probably from stones. The 3M film itself is punched out just like the shape of the regular chip, and the paint is still damaged. I looked at these carefully, and I'm amazed that the 3M film isn't helping more than that. The tears are just like the film left the surface along with the paint chip.

It may be that the wimpy Nissan paint is flaking in the impact, and then the film is tearing out with the chip. In other words, I am speculating that a better paint job might actually help the 3M film work better. I have seen G35s with 3M film and they held up quite well.

Regardless, the pitting on the film is very real and it is probably good that I have the film on, however I am shocked that moderately sized objects are still damaging the paint as if the film were not there. I didn't know that the film would come off in tiny pieces with the stone hit.

Thus, think carefully about buying 3M - it may not save you the chips you think it will. I might take some photos when I get some sun and post them.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most paint protection film won't protect you from anything larger than pebbles, or grains of sand... Definitely not "stones". I've had my film on almost 4 years, and it's held up flawlessly. No chips or anything. Yes, it's pitted, just as you noticed with yours, but mine has done it's job quite well. Remember, the film is not very thick, so anything of any size will easily get through it.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:25 AM
jimbosr1

i always put on regular car bras on my cars just for that reason,the clear film gets chips and some ive seen even yellow.the bra is a pain when it rains and you have to take it off and let it dry.but the front end doesnt have any chips in it at all.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

pics???
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

When rocks and stones hit you car, chips are going to be the result. That is just an unfortunate fact of life.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
scrapser

I have toyed with the idea of film for some time now. The report by the OP is the main reason I have held back. Once something big enough hits, film is not going to protect the car and will probably look just as bad as if it weren't there at all. I think protective film is almost a good idea.

Viva la spam...who is that avatar falling out all over the place!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM
fb305

I have had film on my car since I bought it in 04. I still don't have a single chip on the front where the film is. It has been hit many times with rocks that sounded like they would have for sure chipped it but didn't. My wifes car is also covered with 3M film and she doesn't have any chips. Are you sure you didn't get some bad, cheaply made film?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on the thickness of the film - I believe it comes in several.

I have it on my daily driver (a mazda 3, also known for very crappy factory paint) and the film is pitted in several places, but I dont see anything going thru to the paint. I dont know if you bought a kit, but I got mine from a company named rockblocker (I think this "non-recession" killed them off).
The installer said that rockblocker had the best kits from 3M - so maybe there is a good difference.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Harleyjacks

I agree I have talked to a few professional detailers and if your **** like me on looks you will not like the clear Bra , just my opinion mind you. I figure it gets to bad just re paint etc. Moreover I have had my Z now 2 years and if you don’t tail gate etc (which you should not anyway) you should really not have much if anything as far as damage. I have a Metallic Black and looks like the Day I bought it etc.

Oh yea
Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Harleyjacks

I have to ask again

Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 AM
chefz

3m clear bra installed 2.5 years ago perfect! no yellowing, chips on ppw 2008!