Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~70LEDs +tail light + free time=....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 07:37 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ~70LEDs +tail light + free time=....

boredom can lead to disasterous things.

foreword on this. most of this cannot be duplicated for various reasons. main one being that about 15hours went into this light in all. and looks worse in person(the fiberglass gave off heat and caused the lens to get discolored in spots) yes that is molded from fiberglass. also these particular LEDs do not appear to be dimmable, meaning no "high/low" brake light methods. this could be solved, but mute anyway.

pictures do not give the brightness justice. its actually another problem they are BLINDING!

last part, the triangle reflector section is actually the only part that is reproducable as it can be done without opening the tailight, and in a feasable amount of time. however on this light it was an after thought, and simply put I didnt put much effort into it basicly because I didnt think it was possible... but hey what do ya know it was possible. sadly as you can see I was apparently drunk while working and went a bit crooked on the top line. that is my fault.

I may offer the LEDs in the reflector portion, but a few things hold me back, for one I would have to buy a set of tail lights to be realistic about it(core set so there is no down time where you wouldnt have a tailight). so for me to make a 600$ commitment to that I would need a few solid orders.

anyway, for now, just screwing around. hope you enjoy what (IMO) should have come from the factory.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Glasgow Smile
dat title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Rama

Nice.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:03 PM
MY350Z.COM

Oooohhhh, I want it. Nice custom work ares.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:22 AM
toykilla

i like that... you should check some junkyards and stuff... if i got a set of taillights, how much would you charge to do this?
Old 11-16-2003, 01:05 PM
ares
Veteran

too many problems with it, for one you cant open the tail light like the headlight, atleast I dont think so. I couldnt really try cause my oven wouldnt fit the tail light...

I had to use a dremel to cut away at the seal. no good for a ussable peice.

even so. the fiberglass is rather heavy, and when you remove the big bubble of the light to fill it in, its hard to get the housing to keep the proper shape.

all in all, perhaps its me, or maybe not, but it seems like too much custom work for it to look good. however in about a month or 2 I will have some nice LED brake light bulbs that will be simple replacement. and I most likely will offer the LED strip lighting for the reflector portion(in straight lines I promise!) as a modification option. but the grid section of LEDs in the tail light is too much to be done for any reasonable amount.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:12 PM
greddy4777

Ares...looking fwd to buying the entire set of whatever you are making....

stilll wanting to purchase the LED reflectors...once the rear bulbs come out...put me down for that too....

...those taillights look sweet too....just a lil crooked...haha
Old 11-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Ralphus

I think an LED tailight bulb with some LEDs + the top portion done with lines like you have it would be sweet! (plus functional, more visibility for drivers behind you when you brake).
Old 11-17-2003, 12:41 PM
ares
Veteran

thats the plan, brighter, faster response on your tail lights from the time you hit the brake to when the driver behind you sees it. a crisp on/off. they say DRLs prevent accidents, if something small like that can help, then a faster response from the tail light must not hurt either.