Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
zaperroni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I hardly doubt he will go through with this.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
Remember that if you add a harness bar it must be at the proper height to provide proper shoulder belt angle, otherwise you risk serious injury to YOU. Great project!
height wont matter if he is using it to regain the support that may or may not be lost by removing the area that he is.

If it is just used as such and not actually used for harnesses height wont make a difference.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Pete5150

The dog looked comfortable enough in the hatch. Why possibly give up chassis support to sometimes fit a dog in the back? Put the b i t ch in the hatch and enjoy your Z before you make it all floppy in the corners!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Jackson0927

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry no updates. ur gunna have to wait at least a month before I start putting any good pics up.

if I put a harness bar in, I definitely want it to be functional (c'mon), don't care anymore if it sits lower (actually would make more sense if it did both support and harnesses) as long as dog can easily get in under it.

Not going to dog park ever once and awhile hahaha, she goes to work with me every single day. only custom project that actually serves a purpose, and solves real problem.

update: got all the plastic out, and the top cut out (speakers and 2 smaller cubbies) gathered supplies. Was too cold outside to even get my garage heater to warm that place up. but with the snow on the ground it can sit there for awhile. i think it has to get at least a lil warmer before it comes time to do a little fiberglass. but I got plenty to do till then. will soon be too late to turn back!!

---can't decide if i should build 2 kind of bucket style seats with maybe a console in the middle like say a porsche backseat or do a one bench like a traditional backseat---
Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 PM
crsracing19

I don't mean to be a thread jacker but are there any opinions on how much structural rigidity the cubbies provide or how much weightt loss there is. Or if its worth it to remove them if your tracking your car and welding in a cage or a few bars to replace the cubbies structure
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I think this is a fantastic idea... if you can pull it off, and it looks as good as the illustration ... my hat goes off to you sir. Im in for this. should be good to follow

Last edited by Vas_Z33; 01-13-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
DriftBum

Originally Posted by Jackson0927
sorry no updates. ur gunna have to wait at least a month before I start putting any good pics up.

if I put a harness bar in, I definitely want it to be functional (c'mon), don't care anymore if it sits lower (actually would make more sense if it did both support and harnesses) as long as dog can easily get in under it.

Not going to dog park ever once and awhile hahaha, she goes to work with me every single day. only custom project that actually serves a purpose, and solves real problem.

update: got all the plastic out, and the top cut out (speakers and 2 smaller cubbies) gathered supplies. Was too cold outside to even get my garage heater to warm that place up. but with the snow on the ground it can sit there for awhile. i think it has to get at least a lil warmer before it comes time to do a little fiberglass. but I got plenty to do till then. will soon be too late to turn back!!

---can't decide if i should build 2 kind of bucket style seats with maybe a console in the middle like say a porsche backseat or do a one bench like a traditional backseat---
Honestly if it is for a dog like you say why arent you building it to be more bench style for the dog to lay out?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by crsracing19
I don't mean to be a thread jacker but are there any opinions on how much structural rigidity the cubbies provide or how much weightt loss there is. Or if its worth it to remove them if your tracking your car and welding in a cage or a few bars to replace the cubbies structure
if your doing a FULL cage and tracking your car the cubbies can be removed. How much weight loss you will see I have no idea.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Jackson0927

ready to cut the glove boxes out but i'm so scared!!!!

anyone know where i can get just a roll cage, just the main hoop, then i can weld braces from that to the strut bar. all the 4 point kits have a ton of bars in between

really don't think a harness bar will offer any support anymore.

has anyone ever seen this auto power bar before (street version), this would be ideal. i need to pm z1 perf. to see how much it is.

Last edited by Jackson0927; 01-14-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
accord5speed

great project idea! I've been thinking about doing this ever since I wanted a 350z, I always thought it was unfair for the G35 to have rear seats and not the 350z. There's obviously room to put soemthign in the rear.

what about g35 seats? aren't those of similar size?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 PM
ashtrojan2008

I've been thinking about this for a while, since mine is my daily and I've got to carry my little bro around sometimes. If this turns out descent I'll be right behind you.

Ross
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Jackson0927

Originally Posted by accord5speed
what about g35 seats? aren't those of similar size?
I'm on my phone so I can't put the proper pics up. But both stripped look almost exactly the same. Down to the holes where the seat bolts in.(why these holes are in the z idk) But I have only come to this conclusion from pictures and not a measuring tape.

I'm considering abandoning my og plan for seats and use the bottom pad from a g35. Custom build the lower back supports so I can keep the hole. Dogs don't need backrest. Really eager to see how it would fit. Would help add to the oem look. if it didn't fit it would give me something to wrk with at least

($200 for black backseat on g35driver.)

****I would frown upon doing any of this to try to fit a human.(even a little one) there will be no leg room whatsoever, not to mention seatbelt, and legal liability(if you hurt that person in a wreck) my .2 cents *****
Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 PM
agunter33

This sounds so epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Jackson0927

Progress report: taken advantage of these snow days, stayin away from my office, trying to work on the z

for those who think im not following through with this:

let me just say that was FAR FAR from easy to do. A lot of drilling, a lot of grinding/cutting and even had to use and hand saw in 1 or 2 spots. and im not even quite finished. still have to drill the front piece out but i broke my spot-weld drill bit, and it is REALLy close to gas tank. (if i empty it, it will only be filled with fumes, advice?)

as far as the g35 backseat goes (see below) i will be extremely surprised if it doesn't bolt in directly with no modification. not sure about the back, im really only concerned with the bottom pad

Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Barnabas

good progress so far! Its looking clean! If the seats do go in whats the plan for all the areas not covered by the seats?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Jackson0927

Originally Posted by Barnabas
good progress so far! Its looking clean! If the seats do go in whats the plan for all the areas not covered by the seats?
you'll have to wait to see. i got it "covered" haha. (couple speakers, lil wood, lil fiberglass, lil vinyl, STAY POSTED)

tempted to take it around the block to see how it handles with out that metal, but there's 6 inchs of snow outside. Interested in autopower roll bar - with the removable cross-brace and harness bar to help with restore rigidity.

any1 think im crazy to try and drive it as it sits, without bracing?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Barnabas

Do you have a pic of how it was when all you had done was remove the plastic trim?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM
jruocco

awesome project! i'm in for results.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Jackson0927

yes i do

Quick Reply: 2+2 Backseat Project- Lookin for advice