Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2+2 Backseat Project- Lookin for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say it is ok to drive. It obviously helps with the rigidity and body flex but I dont think to the extent you should worry about normal driving at all.

With the roll bar you want or a seatbelt harness bar I am sure you would regain any lost support.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Twenty4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just cut out that same area for my cage, that metal is so thin and flimsy im sure there would be little to zero difference in rigidity. i never drove mine without it and still havent finished the cage so i cant confirm nor deny this.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Jackson0927

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the support guys. Kinda expected a bit of verbal lashin. (I love this form)

A side impact would prolly get nasty if I don't do anything, to add I can't stand for it being sloppy, I do drive quite aggressively for the street (never tracked) and I will have to argue with anyone that I says I screwed my car up, I have to come up with something. Definitely a set of under body braces with time.

We will see if I get it out of the garage, before I buy more parts
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
MDK

I wouldn't worry about the rigidity of the car. That metal that houses the speakers and storage compartments is so flimsy it barely holds the plastic trim pieces in place. None of that is load bearing.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
epidemic007

o wow.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:26 AM
Rookie84

I'm very interested to see how this will end up. If the G35 seats fit in nicely, I might consider doing this myself to secure some useful storage space.

BTW, I think you can fab up a floor brace and it will more than make up for the rigidity that is lost by removing those metal penals, if there is any loss to begin with.

Last edited by Rookie84; 01-29-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
d3vil

wow. keep it up bro!
"im in for results" too.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
brandon3434

Wow, keep up the great work. I'm surprised no one has tried this yet honestly...I kind of like my 2 seater setup haha, I'm never the taxi!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Subdermal

Def interested in the finished product. Kudos to you OP, i'm subscribing =)
Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Jackson0927

Sorry but it's not done yet. of course it's taking me twice as long as I initially thought. a lot of hold ups but still workin on it. still havent moved it out of the garage though

stitched up a bunch of interior parts in red suede and black leather, only to completely hate the color scheme (good practice at least). so the red and black is out the door. going for black leather and grey alcantara now.

Getting ready to order my support... OPINIONS PLEASE!!!!
Would you go with a harness bar or roll bar for the project?

I really like the autopower race bar with removable cross-brace and harness bar. $500+$85 to make it removable + shipping (4 week turn around!!) the autopower street bar with no harness or cross-brace bars ($400)

or just Harness bar. cheaper option, obviously less support, semi-permanent, not bad height placement but still kinda in the way for trying to get my dog in and out.

worried the harness bar won't give me the support I want back. but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on the roll cage and just add a bunch of weight
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Barnabas

Originally Posted by Jackson0927
Sorry but it's not done yet. of course it's taking me twice as long as I initially thought. a lot of hold ups but still workin on it. still havent moved it out of the garage though

stitched up a bunch of interior parts in red suede and black leather, only to completely hate the color scheme (good practice at least). so the red and black is out the door. going for black leather and grey alcantara now.

I really like the autopower race bar with removable cross-brace and harness bar. $500+$85 to make it removable + shipping (4 week turn around!!) the autopower street bar with no harness or cross-brace bars ($400)

or just Harness bar. cheaper option, obviously less support, semi-permanent, not bad height placement but still kinda in the way for trying to get my dog in and out.

worried the harness bar won't give me the support I want back. but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on the roll cage and just add a bunch of weight
I highly doubt you will even NEED a harness bar but for your peace of mind thats what I would put in. for just aggressive street driving I do not think it is anywhere close to necessary to put in a roll cage unless it is simply to give more room since it doesnt cut the car in half.

me personally if I was in your situation I would save the money and just do a harness bar or nothing.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Jackson0927

I love you barnabas!!

always tell me what I like to hear. thanks for following and the support!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Barnabas

I love you barnabas!!

always tell me what I like to hear. thanks for following and the support!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:20 AM
Subdermal

i would think a roll cage would be better support in case of a side impact...with a harness bar you risk it punching through the side of the car...something else to consider
Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i thought the whole reason was to get room for your dogs.

roll bar/harness bar will impede them from getting in and out of the back seat area smoothly even if it was a bolt in... the main hoop diagonal bar will go from driver rear head are down to behind the passenger seat area, the main location for ingress/egress out of the rear seat behind the passenger..

no full cage unless you pad the heck out of every single bar that you or your dogs may encounter while driving. ie. you stop short and your dogs go flying into a bar. not fun for you. even worse for your best friend.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Jackson0927

my idea was that when driving daily to work I wouldn't have the harness or cross bar in, and just the main hoop and braces to the strut (no obstructions)

yes IDEALLY I really wouldn't do anything, just put my seat, speakers and panels in and call it a 2+2. that would be perfect no sacrifice for space and wouldn't cost me anything, but.....

I'M BEING A PUSS. I'm afraid I slightly fouled with the structure and it would be IRRESPONSIBLE not to build anything back. I don't think nissan ever meant for that to come out. or expected anyone trying to drill it out. Although the g35 is nearly identical from inside (maybe even weaker cause it's 6inch longer), there's still a trunk and not a full hatch plus whatever we don't see that they designed into the structure. grrrrr just dont know what to do

I don't think it had that much effect in removing it but I don't want to be the one with egg on my face. maybe I'll let someone else be the first to ride around with nothing

why cant I just have a black and white answer. guess that custom
Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
DBTre50z

Any updates? Should have interesting results for sure. Goodluck!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Gumby Gone Wild

Sub'd. Best of luck OP, can't wait to see some finished product!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Jackson0927

took it out of the garage for the first time in 5 weeks.

I'll say I was MORE than nervous, not having put any support back, but my car didn't break or bend in half. I didn't notice being any weaker or sloppy but I kinda drove it like a girl so. We'll see how it does on the way home, I'll give it a lil more

Last edited by Jackson0927; 02-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

took it out of the garage for the first time in 5 weeks.

I'll say I was MORE than nervous, not having put any support back, but my car didn't break or bend in half. I didn't notice being any weaker or sloppy but I kinda drove it like a girl so. We'll see how it does on the way home, I'll give it a lil more
Did you make it home safely?

Quick Reply: 2+2 Backseat Project- Lookin for advice