Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nismo Replica front bumper questions! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Sarahs350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo Replica front bumper questions! Please help!

Hey guys, was looking for a reliable, quality, v2 bumper manufacturer. I'm not about to dish out $1000+ for an authentic nismo frp bumper, however I am willing to put down $500-$600 for a replica of the same material.

Obsiouvly as anyone else, I want the one with best fit possible and I just can't seem to find anything that really satisfies me Anything I come across has someone saying something negative about it.

I've looked at Shine, VIS, AIT. Duraflex is absolutely out of the question.

I have heard great things about Shine and wanted to know how durable this Hybrid FRP really is?

And as far as Fiberglass bumpers go.. Are there any tricks to keeping the paint from cracking? Like maybe clear bra for the bumper? Don't really know how much help that would be.

Anyways, this was waaaay longer than I thought. I'm just really lost and I need to make a purchase sooner than later! My cars in the shop after someone rearended me so I figured why not have them paint up a bumper for me.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

Sarah
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Collin Lacy

I'm curious too. All I hear is "Every replica has problems" so I'm not sure if I should just order the $265 VIS Fleabay FRP one and then just work on its fitment, or if there are better options.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
ETK

I have the Aerosync N-Style bumper, which I like. It's sort of a V2 replica, but not quite (it can easily be differentiated from the Nismo V2). I chose it because its PU, which means it won't crack from the occasional scrape on a driveway. For me, this bumper is preferable compared to a Nismo bumper. I agree with the general idea that replicas are to be avoided, but for a front bumper I think there are other considerations.

Whatever you do, don't skimp on the installation/paint. This is not an area you want to save money in. I spent more on the install/paint than on the bumper and I am happy with the result. Just look around at all the horrible body kits on the street that are half primer colored from chipping and flaking and have horrible gaps. Nobody did that on purpose, and if you're not careful it could happen to you!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Sarahs350Z

Originally Posted by ETK
I have the Aerosync N-Style bumper, which I like. It's sort of a V2 replica, but not quite (it can easily be differentiated from the Nismo V2). I chose it because its PU, which means it won't crack from the occasional scrape on a driveway. For me, this bumper is preferable compared to a Nismo bumper. I agree with the general idea that replicas are to be avoided, but for a front bumper I think there are other considerations.

Whatever you do, don't skimp on the installation/paint. This is not an area you want to save money in. I spent more on the install/paint than on the bumper and I am happy with the result. Just look around at all the horrible body kits on the street that are half primer colored from chipping and flaking and have horrible gaps. Nobody did that on purpose, and if you're not careful it could happen to you!
I have been heavily considering the V1 but what's up with no emblem? I don't like the way it looks.. too blank.. idk. Can you post up a picture of yours maybe?

I'm definitely loving this:
http://lifestylesdefined.com/wp-cont..._5-900x600.jpg
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

First, you should understand that the bodywork materials (fiberglass, duraflex, urethane, etc.) all have different material properties that cannot be changed. Fiberglass is semi rigid and paint will crack, along with the gelcoat, when it gets hit or flexed. It's never a question of if it will crack, it's always a question of WHEN it will. Fiberglass bumpers are particularly susceptible to damage and this cannot be changed using clear bra material.

I'm another Aerosync fan and really appreciate the more flexible urethane construction. Even so, that N2 lip still takes its share of dings and bumps as a DD.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Sarahs350Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
First, you should understand that the bodywork materials (fiberglass, duraflex, urethane, etc.) all have different material properties that cannot be changed. Fiberglass is semi rigid and paint will crack, along with the gelcoat, when it gets hit or flexed. It's never a question of if it will crack, it's always a question of WHEN it will. Fiberglass bumpers are particularly susceptible to damage and this cannot be changed using clear bra material.

I'm another Aerosync fan and really appreciate the more flexible urethane construction. Even so, that N2 lip still takes its share of dings and bumps as a DD.
Regardless of a flexible clear coat??
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shine is great.The quality&fit is excellent.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
ETK

Originally Posted by Sarahs350Z
I have been heavily considering the V1 but what's up with no emblem? I don't like the way it looks.. too blank.. idk. Can you post up a picture of yours maybe?
Here's a pic. The numbers are for the track -- I don't drive around with them! They are removable vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails Nismo Replica front bumper questions! Please help!-z.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Sarahs350Z

Originally Posted by ETK
Here's a pic. The numbers are for the track -- I don't drive around with them! They are removable vinyl.
I like it! looks good with the hr hood too.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM
ETK

Thanks, I like the way it came out. I forgot about the hood difference: that was another reason to go with the Aerosync. The Nismo V2 (or replica) has lines that only go with the pre-HR hood.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Sarahs350Z

Originally Posted by ETK
Thanks, I like the way it came out. I forgot about the hood difference: that was another reason to go with the Aerosync. The Nismo V2 (or replica) has lines that only go with the pre-HR hood.
yeah i think that always looked awkward. same with pre hrs that run v3s but I think I'm sold on the V2 placed an order with shine.. they'll call me when its ready.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Regardless of a flexible clear coat??
You mean a flex additive for the paint and clear coat. That helps, but does not prevent cracking. It won't keep a fiberglass bumper from cracking and eventually breaking.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
Sarahs350Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
You mean a flex additive for the paint and clear coat. That helps, but does not prevent cracking. It won't keep a fiberglass bumper from cracking and eventually breaking.
The shines are a "hybrid frp" though.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,666 Posts

There is a poly version, forgot who makes it.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM
stuartc323

is your car lowered or at stock height? I dont think it would make a difference between fiberglass or PU when your stock, I dont scrape anything stock, if your lowered I would definitely consider the PU than, its extra comfort but if the paints gonna crack its gonna crack just be careful.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by terrasmak
There is a poly version, forgot who makes it.
Its BAUSauto, they are a vendor in el monte, ca. its like $330 i think for the poly nismo bumper
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 PM
daniel123588

I just purchased the Nismo V2 front side and rear add ons from Shine and it was a great product. Fitment is hardly ever 100% with aftermarket but without any sanding, the shine kit fit very very well.
You mentioned you got rear ended so im not sure if this whole thread is about the rear bumper but as far as the front bumper, again the fitment was good.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Sarahs350Z

Originally Posted by stuartc323
Its BAUSauto, they are a vendor in el monte, ca. its like $330 i think for the poly nismo bumper
What happened to BAUSauto btw? I wanted to buy from them but at the time it wasn't ideal. Now they're gone. Seen a lot of unhappy customer service reviews too though.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Sarahs350Z

Originally Posted by daniel123588
I just purchased the Nismo V2 front side and rear add ons from Shine and it was a great product. Fitment is hardly ever 100% with aftermarket but without any sanding, the shine kit fit very very well.
You mentioned you got rear ended so im not sure if this whole thread is about the rear bumper but as far as the front bumper, again the fitment was good.

The thread is about which Nismo replica is the best and yes I got rear ended so I figured I'd have them paint a front bumper while they paint the rear bumper.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Collin Lacy

The thread is about which Nismo replica is the best and yes I got rear ended so I figured I'd have them paint a front bumper while they paint the rear bumper.
Quit living my life.

I decided to go with a VIS v2 from CZP.us Hopefully ill have time to pick it up and test fit it this week, if I do I'll let you know how it is.

Last edited by Collin Lacy; 01-30-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Nismo Replica front bumper questions! Please help!