Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Roof Overlay

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 AM
MeinVinyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Roof Overlay

I'm looking to order a carbon fiber roof overlay and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with moisture between the overlay and the actual roof as well as any issues with it prematurely releasing from the roof?

If anyone that has had one, or currently has one can please let me know, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 AM
MeinVinyl

I contacted "ShowStoppers" about their items in stock BEFORE reading some of the horrifying issues people have had with them in years past.

I received an email response within a few minutes from "CHUCK" saying that everything is in stock and how everything can be weave matched.

I'm looking at the Carbon Fiber Roof Overlay, Exterior A-Pillars and rear Hatch. But after reading all of the negative stories, I'm definitely going to be going elsewhere.

Still looking for some form of feedback on experience with the overlays and the referenced information in the original post. If anyone has any information, please let me know. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
shyun1250

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeinVinyl
I'm looking to order a carbon fiber roof overlay and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with moisture between the overlay and the actual roof as well as any issues with it prematurely releasing from the roof?

If anyone that has had one, or currently has one can please let me know, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
From what I've seen water will most likely always get in.
As to releasing the roof, that's all about the quality of wrap you use.
3m and you shouldn't have any problems.

carbon overlays look so fake imo. but i'ts up to you.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 PM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive had 2 overlays before. never had any issues with moisture getting in beteeen the roof and overlay, but i do live in socal so i dont get much rain. As far as the overlay coming off or adhering to the roof as long as you install on a warm day and initially weigh the overlay down with weights the first day you should be fine. however it is a total pain in the **** to take the thing off if you ever decide to. I had one on for 2 years and when i finally removed it, there was so much tape residue i spent over a week to get my roof to normal. Personally id recommend you not do it. Because they all have bad fitment
Old 04-23-2013, 04:17 PM
MeinVinyl

Thanks for the info guys. The reason I'm even thinking about it is because we just had a really bad hail storm come through here and I was on my way to a job when I got caught in it. Normally I'd be in my daily, but that was in the shop at the time. My insurance company are being a huge pain in my *** about how much it costs to properly fix the car so to settle and not lose my car to being salvaged, I'm replacing the top portion of the car with carbon fiber (only the roof and mirrors will have overlays) and I get to keep the car.

It's not an ideal situation and I never planned on doing such a thing, but it seems like it's my best option at this point. If I do remove it down the road, it'll be to have the roof fixed and repaint the entire car.

I just can't let my Brickyard go. I love it too damn much!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by shyun1250
carbon overlays look so fake imo. but i'ts up to you.
BTW, this is for the real carbon fiber, not the 3M Vinyl
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. The reason I'm even thinking about it is because we just had a really bad hail storm come through here and I was on my way to a job when I got caught in it. Normally I'd be in my daily, but that was in the shop at the time. My insurance company are being a huge pain in my *** about how much it costs to properly fix the car so to settle and not lose my car to being salvaged, I'm replacing the top portion of the car with carbon fiber (only the roof and mirrors will have overlays) and I get to keep the car.

It's not an ideal situation and I never planned on doing such a thing, but it seems like it's my best option at this point. If I do remove it down the road, it'll be to have the roof fixed and repaint the entire car.

I just can't let my Brickyard go. I love it too damn much!
That should be fine to replace it with and make sure you follow this guys post for how to install it:

As you will note, the epoxy is pretty secure and won't allow any water if installed correctly

https://my350z.com/forum/3806448-post51.html

Originally Posted by mdracer76
OK.. my fenders are MIA.. hope the come in tomorrow.. so... I installed the roof tonight.

I did also get my hood its flawless, I'm happy.

Layed the roof on to check fitment. Looks like there will be a minor gap at the back.

where did I put that sanding block...?

ah.. there it is.. Fudge.. I'm about to sand my roof. The roof that I spent hours getting orange
peel out of.

Here goes...

ouch! well.. it has to be done for the epoxy to bond without worry.

do the whole roof.. clean the dust off and let it dry.

So.. I mixed the epoxy, slathered it over the entire roof, and ran and grabbed the CF
Overlay. Dont have any pictures of the epoxy.. sorry.. just make sure to cover the roof real well.

With the assistance of dutchboy350Z (Karl) and ROGUELITE (steven) [thanks guys!] we aligned the CF roof
and started pressing. Once it was on where we wanted it.. I was time to add some weight

Found a use for my cats .. old clutch and flywheel! LOL

And its pretty much done! Old flywheel in the clutchmasters box was just moved around at random for the
next hour or so just for extra measure.

Overall fitment for the Asuka CF roof in a B+ as well. It could be a little longer in the back but.. all and all good.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 PM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not epoxy mine on like that guy you posted Waizz. Double sided tape gave me no problems for years.
Name:  311.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  63.7 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
311.jpg (63.7 KB, 140 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
MeinVinyl

Thanks for the information guys.

I found a thread after reading about 25 different threads about the install topic where one guy used a silicone around the outside edges to ensure no water would get in after using 3M double sided tape and removed the excess. Seems like a good idea as well. I'm not sure if I'd want to epoxy it to the roof in case it started to yellow or other issues arose that would require me to remove the overlay.

I have had both VIS and Seibon carbon parts and have had good and bad experiences with both. It seems like most things, it's usually better than worse, but just in case I want to be able to remove it is all.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 415mm
I did not epoxy mine on like that guy you posted Waizz. Double sided tape gave me no problems for years.
I had a CF roof on my car with just double sided tape too Mark but it's better safe and epoxy it if you plan on keeping it.

Just leaving it with double-sided tape does make it easier to sell afterwards though

Thanks for the information guys.

I found a thread after reading about 25 different threads about the install topic where one guy used a silicone around the outside edges to ensure no water would get in after using 3M double sided tape and removed the excess. Seems like a good idea as well. I'm not sure if I'd want to epoxy it to the roof in case it started to yellow or other issues arose that would require me to remove the overlay.

I have had both VIS and Seibon carbon parts and have had good and bad experiences with both. It seems like most things, it's usually better than worse, but just in case I want to be able to remove it is all.
Make sure if you order from Showstopers that they have the part in stock and can even send you a photo of it if possible

Mastergrade screwed over alot of people so it's better to be safe than sorry

Last edited by Waiz; 04-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 PM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Make sure if you order from Showstopers that they have the part in stock and can even send you a photo of it if possible

Mastergrade screwed over alot of people so it's better to be safe than sorry
I'm not ordering through them anymore. I found another source for really good prices as well. Roof is already ordered, and it shipped yesterday. A Pillars are being ordered tomorrow and the Seibon Hatch will be ordered tomorrow or Friday as well.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard from numerous people that their roofs flew off in the highway with just bolts or double sided tape. They recommend using epoxy like you did, but its def harder/impossible to sell later on.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 AM
MeinVinyl

Originally Posted by stevehl
ive heard from numerous people that their roofs flew off in the highway with just bolts or double sided tape. They recommend using epoxy like you did, but its def harder/impossible to sell later on.
So far from the feedback I've gotten, the Asuka, Seibon & VIS roofs have never had premature failure. Only the Mastergrad roof has come off on the highway or just began to remove due to bad fitment or method of attachment.

I suppose if you spend a little more on a roof piece you take the time to properly install it?