Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hid bulb replacement nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM
logan09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid bulb replacement nightmare

Ok so I had my passenger side low beam burn out on me so I ordered some new bulbs. My Z is an '05 Base model but it had HID's when I bought it so I figured they were the OEM HID's. I ordered some OEM HID bulbs (D2R) and got to work. I immediately noticed it did not look the same at all compared to the bulbs I bought. I also cannot figure out how these original bulbs come out, and it just appears the base of the bulbs don't match up at all so I came to you guys knowing a lot of you are pretty intelligent when it comes to these things. Even if I was able to remove the current bulb, I don't see any way of how it would plug back in.

The grey cap/cover on the back of the headlight also has silicone everywhere in the middle of it where the wires pass through if that means anything.

I am a total noob when it comes to this so if someone could set me straight on this that would make my day. Pics below for ease of diagnosing how retarded I am.

Here is the headlight first of all. (Drivers side but I'm just replacing both)

Here is what I came across that is puzzling me

A little different angle of the bulb so that you can see the base

New bulb that I ordered. Notice the base compared to my current bulbs.

Same bulb but a view of the plug-end
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
shakespug

I think you got a hid conversion kit and the bulb is hardwired into the harness itself and plugged into the ballast itself.
you would have to get the hardwired bulbs with the harness attached instead of j7st the bulb.

Originally Posted by logan09
Ok so I had my passenger side low beam burn out on me so I ordered some new bulbs. My Z is an '05 Base model but it had HID's when I bought it so I figured they were the OEM HID's. I ordered some OEM HID bulbs (D2R) and got to work. I immediately noticed it did not look the same at all compared to the bulbs I bought. I also cannot figure out how these original bulbs come out, and it just appears the base of the bulbs don't match up at all so I came to you guys knowing a lot of you are pretty intelligent when it comes to these things. Even if I was able to remove the current bulb, I don't see any way of how it would plug back in.

The grey cap/cover on the back of the headlight also has silicone everywhere in the middle of it where the wires pass through if that means anything.

I am a total noob when it comes to this so if someone could set me straight on this that would make my day. Pics below for ease of diagnosing how retarded I am.

Here is the headlight first of all. (Drivers side but I'm just replacing both)

Here is what I came across that is puzzling me

A little different angle of the bulb so that you can see the base

New bulb that I ordered. Notice the base compared to my current bulbs.

Same bulb but a view of the plug-end
Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM
logan09

That would make sense as the wires coming from the bulb extend maybe 6 inches then can be disconnected via a clip deal. I was pretty sure there was no way or removing the bulb from the wires and little plug looking thing, glad I didn't go trying to pull on them.

Damn I was hoping I didn't waste 45 bucks on bulbs but you live and learn.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

You probably need the HID lights with the H-7 base. You can get them from several companies. Diode Dynamics is one that comes to mind.

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/l...y-size/h7.html
Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM
logan09

The bulb does not seem to be removable, I just tried pulling on the plug looking deal and its like the wires go through that plug and are connected to the bulb itself.

Unless there is some sort of trick to it but Ive even tried using a small screwdriver to pry them apart thinking they were a bit stuck

Last edited by logan09; 06-24-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The previous owner installed an HID conversion kit with H7 size bulbs.

You ordered replacement HID bulbs which would work if your vehicle had come from the factory with HIDs.

We'll be able to just swap the ones you ordered (D2R) for the ones you need (H7). However, it is likely that your ballast failed, not the bulb. You should probably switch your ballasts from side to side to determine if you do actually need a new bulb or not.

Please reply to us by email for further communications, it gets very confusing with a thread, PM, and email all at once. Just wanted to post here to resolve the matter for anyone else viewing the thread.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 PM
The REAL PigPen

Great Company to deal with for the record!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM
logan09

^I ordered these d2r bulbs from them lol.

Gonna check if it's a bad ballast in the next couple of days.