Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing Brainiac: Connected Car Technology with a 10.1" Display for your Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

That is nice. Looking at the DSLR pictures it's very apparent that all silver is the best color scheme. The differing planes provide a nice shading variation. Two-tone will look "cheap."

I think it's wise to recess the screen as much as practical. That setup lessens glare from ambient light.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:24 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I just submitted my email for updates. This sounds like a great idea for someone (me) who's been waiting for an intelligent replacement to my Bose HU and system.

I've been researching and shopping on and off for years, but I never pulled the trigger because I always thought technology was moving too fast for me. This system looks like basically what I need.

I have an 03 Touring that is in great condition, so spending $700 doesn't sound that steep to me. More than likely, I'd like to see how this works and read up on your research and development.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses for the community!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:40 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Workshop12
Looking for some feedback from folks. How attached are you to your three gauge cups?

What if the gauges were replaced with a "heads up" 7 inch LCD screen. The screen would be pushed back towards the windshield as much as possible.

It would be used for displaying information like OBDII Gauges, maps, alerts etc. But it would not be a touch screen. The touch interaction would be from the 10.1" display below it.

Let us know! Image below is just an example from a Mercedes.

I see this subject has been kicked around for a few weeks. I agree that version 2.3 is probably the best one. I like the 3 gauge pod and feel that it's part of the interior that is iconic of the Z33.

I'm really interested in the capability to have music and maps at my finger tips. That's very exciting to me.

Eligibility for registering for 10% off your first "future" order ends at the end of October.

By registering for our newsletter before the end of October you register yourself for the discount that will be tied to your email address for when you make your first purchase
Aw, man. I missed this offer.

If all goes well for your production, I would be very serious about buying one. Based on some of your designs in this thread, I like the idea of simply going with the 7" display. I like my cubby hole and keep my wallet in there.

Question: How will the LCD handle cold weather? I ask this because I think our OEM HU disc player is prone to skipping or not working properly in cold weather.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fridge Gnome
I like it. The silver does look good.

Only thing I can think of, is on the subie the screen isn't as recessed as that. It might look better if it was less sunk into the waterfall.
I can see what can be done there.. The difficulty is that the WRX is a flat surface and the Z curves, so we need to dip it back in to work with the curves of the Z dash. But I'll talk with our designer to see how much room we have to play with.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
I just submitted my email for updates. This sounds like a great idea for someone (me) who's been waiting for an intelligent replacement to my Bose HU and system.

I've been researching and shopping on and off for years, but I never pulled the trigger because I always thought technology was moving too fast for me. This system looks like basically what I need.

I have an 03 Touring that is in great condition, so spending $700 doesn't sound that steep to me. More than likely, I'd like to see how this works and read up on your research and development.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses for the community!
Originally Posted by SmoothZ
I see this subject has been kicked around for a few weeks. I agree that version 2.3 is probably the best one. I like the 3 gauge pod and feel that it's part of the interior that is iconic of the Z33.

I'm really interested in the capability to have music and maps at my finger tips. That's very exciting to me.

Aw, man. I missed this offer.

If all goes well for your production, I would be very serious about buying one. Based on some of your designs in this thread, I like the idea of simply going with the 7" display. I like my cubby hole and keep my wallet in there.

Question: How will the LCD handle cold weather? I ask this because I think our OEM HU disc player is prone to skipping or not working properly in cold weather.
Yes, different people like the 7" vs the 10.1" for various reasons, from personal taste or other reasons. We want to make sure that the choice is available.

7" unit is priced at $699 USD, and the 10.1" unit is priced at $1399 USD

Our touch screens have operating temperatures of -20 up to +70 degrees Celsius so they should handle the cold and the internals will follow similar specifications.
The following users liked this post:
SmoothZ (11-16-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 07:16 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow that all silver piece came out great. I was leaning toward one of the 2-tone versions before you posted that quality photo. Screw the 2-tones, all silver is where it's at!
I think it's gonna look awesome with my burnt orange leather interior.
I would gladly offer up my 08 to be used as a template for the 06-08 development but I live in Sweden so that's not gonna happen...

What's your stance towards offering a custom setup for customers wanting a 2-tone version, i.e. the all silver is the standard "over the counter" sold on your webshop version and then offer the customer an option to custom tailor their own color setup (inner surround, outer surround, buttons, button markings etc) for an added amount of dollados and some waiting time (custom fab? depending on demand?)?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by The Swede
Wow that all silver piece came out great. I was leaning toward one of the 2-tone versions before you posted that quality photo. Screw the 2-tones, all silver is where it's at!
I think it's gonna look awesome with my burnt orange leather interior.
I would gladly offer up my 08 to be used as a template for the 06-08 development but I live in Sweden so that's not gonna happen...

What's your stance towards offering a custom setup for customers wanting a 2-tone version, i.e. the all silver is the standard "over the counter" sold on your webshop version and then offer the customer an option to custom tailor their own color setup (inner surround, outer surround, buttons, button markings etc) for an added amount of dollados and some waiting time (custom fab? depending on demand?)?
If there's demand for customization we'll consider it. In most cases we've had people express that they would just paint or vinyl wrap the trim themselves to personalize it. So we'll wait and see
SmoothZ (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Heritage

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

You can't be all things to all people, so just go with what looks best via a consensus of designers. The DSLR pic makes the silver look better, but I suspect it will also make a two piece bezel (black inner; silver outer) look better as well.

This is something I will do to my Z over the winter, if this ever gets done!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:36 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

If there's demand for customization we'll consider it. In most cases we've had people express that they would just paint or vinyl wrap the trim themselves to personalize it. So we'll wait and see
I like this idea. Stick with a tasteful standard and let people do what they want with it after they paid for it.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the all silver bezel is the way to go - as Spike100 has mentioned, there are too many slight color variations of the stock waterfall, before you even take into account fading. One silver color to match the existing silver trim pieces to me makes sense. Any other variations could either be custom ordered or left to the customer to perform to match their particular interior.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:47 PM
Steelcyclone

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm very interested in this for 06-08 of course. Hope that one gets rolling soon as I would ****** that one up easy. Love the 10 inch screen.
Workshop12 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

We're excited to announce a third option for those wishing to custom install a 10.1" Brainiac unit into their dashboard. The 10.1" Brainiac Retrofit Kit!

Blog Article
http://workshoptwelve.com/2015/11/20...-retrofit-kit/

Old 11-20-2015, 04:16 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by myork
I think the all silver bezel is the way to go - as Spike100 has mentioned, there are too many slight color variations of the stock waterfall, before you even take into account fading. One silver color to match the existing silver trim pieces to me makes sense. Any other variations could either be custom ordered or left to the customer to perform to match their particular interior.

Just a real quick comment as I keep seeing this thought promoted...

Whichever version you prefer, fine, we're all different...but the argument that the grey brainiac wouldn't be able to match every grey waterfall due to slight variations is kinda not well thought out? The variances are so slight that the grey brainiac would STILL complement the waterfall beautifully and look professional...the whole point of grey was to tone down the big blobby weight of all that silver being a distraction so that the FIRST thing you notice is that big bezel and not even the screen...that's not good design....good design is when each element COMPLEMENTS the holistic design of the interior...not when one element become the sole focal point and looks out of place. Ask any designer, or..just ask yourself...what's the first thing you notice when you look at the pictures.....it's the silver frame.

I do think it still looks good...but I do think the silver is too overpowering...most people can't envision what alternate options would look like, so unless they see it firsthand all they have is an argument based on an inability to imagine the better version. Designers can see it in their head, pretty accurately in general.

Remember too, that once a grey version was done by Workshop, and then photographed well, it too would look a whole lot better than those rough comps.

Glad to see all the progress you guys are making on your Brainiac, it's looking great no matter what you choose to do, but I'd encourage you to jazz up those buttons with decals or paint-filled engravings (icons showing purpose of button or number of button...something)...or ideally...the buttons should have an icon that is backlit like oem door switches are.

Keep up the great work, and curious to see the smaller version as well.

Saved
Workshop12 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 04:48 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
Just a real quick comment as I keep seeing this thought promoted...

Whichever version you prefer, fine, we're all different...but the argument that the grey brainiac wouldn't be able to match every grey waterfall due to slight variations is kinda not well thought out? The variances are so slight that the grey brainiac would STILL complement the waterfall beautifully and look professional...the whole point of grey was to tone down the big blobby weight of all that silver being a distraction so that the FIRST thing you notice is that big bezel and not even the screen...that's not good design....good design is when each element COMPLEMENTS the holistic design of the interior...not when one element become the sole focal point and looks out of place. Ask any designer, or..just ask yourself...what's the first thing you notice when you look at the pictures.....it's the silver frame.

I do think it still looks good...but I do think the silver is too overpowering...most people can't envision what alternate options would look like, so unless they see it firsthand all they have is an argument based on an inability to imagine the better version. Designers can see it in their head, pretty accurately in general.

Remember too, that once a grey version was done by Workshop, and then photographed well, it too would look a whole lot better than those rough comps.

Glad to see all the progress you guys are making on your Brainiac, it's looking great no matter what you choose to do, but I'd encourage you to jazz up those buttons with decals or paint-filled engravings (icons showing purpose of button or number of button...something)...or ideally...the buttons should have an icon that is backlit like oem door switches are.

Keep up the great work, and curious to see the smaller version as well.

Saved
Agreed, one of the tests that I always do when designing either software or hardware is to look away and then look back at what you're doing and see where you eye goes first. It should be at the area where you want people to focus.

In the case of the Z trim it definitely is the silver trim that goes around the screen when the screen is off. However when the screen is on displaying the UI it goes back to having your eye focus on the screen as seen below.

One can argue both ways on whether or not having your eye go to the trim when the screen is off is a good or bad thing. Sometimes that can boil down to personal preference. Some want people to see that first, others don't. We want to make sure that the plastics are easy to paint/modify for any personal preference

You are absolutely right about the buttons. We haven't shown any renders yet with either engravings or illuminated symbols. We're still working with our mechanical designers to decide which route we want to take. But there will be improvements coming
Old 11-21-2015, 04:49 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jazzyfella
I love this. I can finally say I have a Tesla !
Have you ever thought about dealing with OLED or curved displays for the curve of the console? It would be mad expensive but just an option for rich people.
LOL, we have looked at different curved OLEDs and you are correct. MAD EXPENSIVE... The volumes that we would have to order to bring the cost down to anything reasonable are quite large
Old 11-21-2015, 05:20 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

We're getting very close to launching our Brainiac preorders on Kickstarter. We just posted a blog article to give more details on what to expect and how early supporters will redeem their 10% discount

Blog Post
http://workshoptwelve.com/2015/11/21...for-preorders/

Old 11-21-2015, 11:42 AM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Agreed, one of the tests that I always do when designing either software or hardware is to look away and then look back at what you're doing and see where you eye goes first. It should be at the area where you want people to focus.

In the case of the Z trim it definitely is the silver trim that goes around the screen when the screen is off. However when the screen is on displaying the UI it goes back to having your eye focus on the screen as seen below.

One can argue both ways on whether or not having your eye go to the trim when the screen is off is a good or bad thing. Sometimes that can boil down to personal preference. Some want people to see that first, others don't. We want to make sure that the plastics are easy to paint/modify for any personal preference

You are absolutely right about the buttons. We haven't shown any renders yet with either engravings or illuminated symbols. We're still working with our mechanical designers to decide which route we want to take. But there will be improvements coming
Man do I love the professionalism of your replies.

Sounds like you guys are really just capable people with reasonable open minds, such a refreshing experience to interact with versus the pack mentality of playground level punks that sometimes happens here and everywhere.

Excellent points on the screen, I was already using the screen image from your Subie work to consider the aesthetics, and your GUI design is very nicely clean and balanced. (other than missing a cool background image of me dressed up as the Lone Ranger on a horse...but hey...we already have too much Silver in view.... ) really stupid joke...just tried to make something connect with "silver" and flopped. I'll stick to design and internet critiques from now on.

Hope this goes really well for you, the company, and the customers. These products are also a foundation for a LOT of other customization as well since you guys have hardware and software capabilities.

If you do a small size proto please keep us updated! You could use the left over space (7" version leaves more console to play with) to do some other really cool stuff or design a space into the waterfall that allows customization by the end user. Analog or electrical. So many ideas to fit so many styles. Fun stuff!

Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 11-21-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Workshop12 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I like the new pictures. The all-gray bezel is the best choice for numerous reasons (esthetics, practicality, cost control etc.). --Spike
Workshop12 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Heritage

I like illuminated symbols for the buttons, but I've seen too many illuminated buttons wear off/chip away the foil/painted top coat and make them look like *** quickly. That's happened on my wife's Yukon (particularly the AC button) and my Range Rover Sport's homelink buttons. Hate it.

If there's a way to make truly durable illuminated buttons, that'd be my vote.

I'd also vote for making the bezel two different pieces: inner and outer, to maximize owner-customizable options (for instance, I'd probably carbon fiber wrap the inner to match other CF finishing touches in my car). More than that, though, I vote for whatever the hell gets this product into my car soonest!

I'm getting anxious, fellas!

Last edited by Heritage; 11-22-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Heritage

Originally Posted by Spike100
I like the new pictures. The all-gray bezel is the best choice for numerous reasons (esthetics, practicality, cost control etc.). --Spike
All gray, or all silver?

If they're going with a one-piece one color bezel, I think the all silver would be a better choice, because it at least provides a finished product for those who don't want to fiddle with painting.

But my vote is known: a two piece bezel to maximize customizing options/provide a tangible break between inner and outer, so contrasting finishes look professional.

Quick Reply: Introducing Brainiac: Connected Car Technology with a 10.1" Display for your Z