Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing Brainiac: Connected Car Technology with a 10.1" Display for your Z

Old 12-12-2015, 07:05 PM
StevSam

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Workshop12
We haven't designed one to fit the 06-08 as of yet. We're trying to gauge demand as it will require R&D and design changes.

So if you, or people you know, have an 06-08 and are interested please do let us know!
I am interested and own an 06
The following users liked this post:
Workshop12 (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

We've been receiving lots of great feedback on our new preorder system! It's great that the new system is meeting the needs of the many instead of just the few

There has also been feedback that it has been difficult to find the air suspension and relay accessory preorder information. We checked our website stats and found that hardly anyone is seeing any pages except our main landing page because of our small top navigation bar.

So we've updated the main page to give quick access to the other areas of the website.

Keep the feedback coming, we're definitely listening!

Website Updates
https://brainiac.workshoptwelve.com/
Old 12-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Steelcyclone

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Workshop12
We haven't designed one to fit the 06-08 as of yet. We're trying to gauge demand as it will require R&D and design changes.

So if you, or people you know, have an 06-08 and are interested please do let us know!
Also very interested too in getting one for my 08

Last edited by Steelcyclone; 12-14-2015 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Workshop12 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:38 PM
ilove350z412
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just what makes a different from me putting a 7 inch tablet molded into my cubby space and getting a bluetooth obd scanner and connecting the scanner up to the tablet and connect my double din to my tablet for anything music?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:12 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ilove350z412
Just what makes a different from me putting a 7 inch tablet molded into my cubby space and getting a bluetooth obd scanner and connecting the scanner up to the tablet and connect my double din to my tablet for anything music?
Happy to answer that question

- Bluetooth OBDII dongles typically are unreliable for connections. It's not that they don't work, you just need to fiddle around with the connection every now and again to have them re-pair. They also tend to wiggle loose with your car's vibration over time.

- We also supply a OBDII cable that runs behind the dashboard as a "piggy-back" on your existing cable so we do not block your port.

- Our system is connected directly into your vehicle's power supply to be able to know when to suspend, and come back on based on the wiring of your vehicle. Tablets typically have long boot times, do not know when to turn themselves off, or if left turned-on draw a large load to re-charge themselves and can drain your battery

- Our system has a 20Hz GPS chip in it that provides very accurate GPS data for performance recording. Standard chips in smartphones/tablets are typically 2Hz which are not very accurate.

- Our displays and circuitry are automotive grade which means they were designed to operate in temperatures range of -20C and +70C where a tablet has a typical operating temperature range of 0C and +35C

- Brainiac also has multiple inputs/outputs that allow for different audio configurations as well as 6 USB host connections allowing for multiple accessories. Full specs can be found at the bottom of this page https://brainiac.workshoptwelve.com

- We have integrated accessories that work with the system for air suspension control or programmable relays

- Brainiac also allows you to log your fuel economy and performance data over time for review or for competing with your friends all as part of the system.

I could actually go on with a lot more examples. But I guess what it comes down to is that Brainiac has been designed to be a combination of hardware and software created specifically for your vehicle.

Where a tablet is just that... a tablet. Absolutely it can be used to do different things in your vehicle with a custom mount, but it has been designed with the purpose of being a generic handheld device.

We feel that a targeted solution simply does a better job and provides better integration with the vehicle
Old 12-19-2015, 01:29 AM
ilove350z412
Banned

i think its a great system but i also think its to much. for 1400 there are alot of other mods that are well worth the money. i mean the a really good computer cost about that. i learned how to have the tablet wired in and it turns on and off with the car. there is no boot time cause it puts it in sleep mode and my tablet battery last 9+ hours if not used. my buddy also has a very nice evo will some nice hp and he has a bluetooth obd and he says he loves it and never had a problem with it. i just think if the price was a lower then it would be much easier sell. not trying to beat you down. your product looks great just to me the price is little to much.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:45 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

i think its a great system but i also think its to much. for 1400 there are alot of other mods that are well worth the money. i mean the a really good computer cost about that. i learned how to have the tablet wired in and it turns on and off with the car. there is no boot time cause it puts it in sleep mode and my tablet battery last 9+ hours if not used. my buddy also has a very nice evo will some nice hp and he has a bluetooth obd and he says he loves it and never had a problem with it. i just think if the price was a lower then it would be much easier sell. not trying to beat you down. your product looks great just to me the price is little to much.
I understand what you mean, 1400 dineros is a hefty sum, but I still disagree. For what you get I think the price is quite reasonable. Remember there is nothing quite like it on the market. Sure I've seen some sweet custom builds that do all this and more but they all require custom fab and alot of trial and error. So to see a product like this as an off the shelf item and essentially a "bolt on" solution, they could have asked more and I would still have paid full retail.

That is... if the 06-08 version becomes reality *hint hint*
Old 12-19-2015, 01:52 AM
ilove350z412
Banned

yea its nice that its plug and play but i love doing my own custom work. because i can said i did that. Like i learned how to wrap the good awful plastic cheap looking dash in suede and getting complements on it all the time. if someone wants to do something its not hard to learn. like if it where like a pc built into it and you can install what ever you want to it and it had a good video card then i would say yea it would be worth it. but i do get what you mean no else sells something like that plug and play. but to me a business mind i think the cheaper the product the more you will sell and then the more money you make. say you only have 5 people who want it for 1400 and then you have 25 people who want it for 7-800 your gonna make more money. your price range is for people that have alot extra money in the pocket
Old 12-19-2015, 05:39 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Everyone has their own views on what's expensive and what's not, and that's perfectly understandable. Also everyone has different views on what's difficult and what's easy depending on their abilities and desire to do things themselves or feel the need to hire someone to do the work for them. I'm a big DIY type of person myself!

It's one of the reasons why we provide Brainiac in different options. Our 7" double-din unit is priced to be competitive with a mid-range head unit and our 10.1" snap-in kits are priced to be competitive with existing high end 7" units from other manufacturers.

We feel that we provide a lot more value for the dollar than other competitive products that are in the equivalent price range. We've actually been receiving a lot of feedback from others in the automotive electronics industry that we are incredibly under priced.

Our 10.1" Retrofit kit was also designed to provide a larger screen experience at a lower price so that those who are comfortable with DIY fabrication can retrofit their car with a large touch screen experience.

We want to provide options for our potential customers, but unfortunately sometimes those options don't fit for everyone.

Happy to continue to hear feedback around pricing, features or any questions anyone may have. That's why we want to participate in these forums. Your feedback is important to us
Old 12-19-2015, 05:50 AM
ilove350z412
Banned

yea im just like you. my mind like to see how stuff goes together and comes apart lol but if you have a diy kit and for the right price i will do a detailed right up on it. thats my tablet mod im not done cause of my engine swap but im gonna wrap it in suede
Old 12-19-2015, 05:51 AM
ilove350z412
Banned

i also need something different then bondo. this guy was telling they make this foam stuff that hardens but sands down really easy
Old 12-19-2015, 05:57 AM
ilove350z412
Banned

i know how to wrap the dash and i know how to make shift boots so to me if you dont want to be lazy you can do anything you want. just have to think how people do stuff and try it your own way. i have yet to try the door panels waiting for this swap to be done. i would also love to stick the g35 back seat in there even if people dont have the room for the feet just be nice to have a back seat to put stuff back there. instead of my stuff rolling around in the back lol
Old 12-19-2015, 06:31 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

yea im just like you. my mind like to see how stuff goes together and comes apart lol but if you have a diy kit and for the right price i will do a detailed right up on it. thats my tablet mod im not done cause of my engine swap but im gonna wrap it in suede
We offer our retrofit kit for $999 that gives you all of the same parts and features of the 10.1" snap-in kit, but instead of car specific plastics that are a result if our R&D and tooling, it has a universal screen mounting frame that allows you to create your own custom install.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:33 AM
ilove350z412
Banned

o i thought you meant just like the screen and stuff and you put in your car and get it to fit your own self
Old 12-19-2015, 06:38 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

o i thought you meant just like the screen and stuff and you put in your car and get it to fit your own self
Yes I believe that's what I'm referring to. You get the following with our Retrofit kit:
- 10.1" touch screen
- Brainiac CPU
- Universal cradle to hold sceen (you fab this into your mount)
- Button belt
- Wiring harness
- OBDII cable
- GPS antenna
Old 12-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

We had a successful day yesterday continuing our AirLift Performance AutoPilot v2 testing

Our Brainiac circuitry can now control both the RideTech RidePro system and AirLift AutoPilot v2.

Next on the list will be AirLift 3H/3P and then AccuAir e-Level/switchspeed and AirRex!

Here's a quick video from our diagnostics testing. We connected up the circuitry from the Brainiac air suspension accessory to a Laptop for programming and logging.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_m9vojm4H2/
Old 12-23-2015, 01:53 PM
350Z_Al

Is there any ability to install windows based software on your system? Or third party software designed for Android or IOS, such as Defi's gauge interface?

I was planning a windows based tablet for mine mainly so I could run my Osiris UpRev tuning software in the dash, as well as use their datalogging. It would also be my audio/video source.

Also, is it possible to do digital audio out through one of the USB ports. My audio processor has an optical input that I'd like to use instead of the standard F/R/Sub analog outputs.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 350Z_Al
Is there any ability to install windows based software on your system? Or third party software designed for Android or IOS, such as Defi's gauge interface?

I was planning a windows based tablet for mine mainly so I could run my Osiris UpRev tuning software in the dash, as well as use their datalogging. It would also be my audio/video source.

Also, is it possible to do digital audio out through one of the USB ports. My audio processor has an optical input that I'd like to use instead of the standard F/R/Sub analog outputs.
Our system is Android based so it unfortunately can't run Windows software. Yes, you can absolutely download your favorite Android apps to Brainiac and run them on the system

As far as a digital audio out, if you can find an Android compatible USB digital audio out adapter then you should be good to go.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:42 AM
Workshop12
Vendor - Former Vendor

Wishing everyone a safe and happy holidays!

Thank-you everyone for your support and continued feedback

Old 12-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Steelcyclone

Just curios and sorry if it's been mentioned as I didn't see it anywhere. What is the aspect ratio on the screen? Would be nice if it was a 4:3 considering it will be sitting in portrait, but looks more like a 16:9.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introducing Brainiac: Connected Car Technology with a 10.1" Display for your Z