Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amber/Yellow LED Fog Lights to Replace Front Reflectors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 09:00 AM
Zhu Tou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amber/Yellow LED Fog Lights to Replace Front Reflectors?

Does anyone make a fog light kit that replaces the front reflectors?

I've searched and found nothing. The closest I got is this from iJDMTOY, which I bet most of you guys have already seen:

2003-05 Nissan 350z Switchback LED Daytime Running Light Kit — iJDMTOY.com

As this kit emits white light which turns amber when the turn signals are activated, I'm wondering:
  1. Can this be wired such that it ONLY emits amber/yellow light w/o the turn signal function? In other words - simply as an amber/yellow LED fog light kit?
  2. Is there any other similiar kit out there that outputs amber/yellow light instead of white?

Last edited by Zhu Tou; 02-09-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:30 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhu Tou
Does anyone make a fog light kit that replaces the front reflectors?

I've searched and found nothing. The closest I got is this from iJDMTOY, which I bet most of you guys have already seen:

2003-05 Nissan 350z Switchback LED Daytime Running Light Kit — iJDMTOY.com

As this kit emits white light which turns amber when the turn signals are activated, I'm wondering:
  1. Can this be wired such that it ONLY emits amber/yellow light w/o the turn signal function? In other words - simply as an amber/yellow LED fog light kit?
  2. Is there any other similiar kit out there that outputs amber/yellow light instead of white?
It wouldn't really be a "fog light kit" but more of just an illuminated side marker. Sure, you could wire it differently so that it only illuminates amber, but that seems like it would be a waste to get that switchback kit and only use half of the functionality. With some switchback kits, the amber signal is driven at higher power so if it is illuminated constantly, then you risk burning it out.

If I were you, I would get some HD amber LED strips from Diode Dynamics, open up your stock reflectors or get some clears and put the LED strip in there. Wire it up to either your parking lights as a trigger or an accessory so it would function as a DRL.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (02-12-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 11:22 PM
ARRRT

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have ijdm led sidemarkers for several years with zero problems - it is a good product.
You can rewire them for sure , but trust me - you’ll like them as they are.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:53 PM
Zhu Tou

Thanks for all the info.

I prefer amber/yellow over white for fog lights; bright white defeats the purpose of fog lights.

I'm surprised that there aren't aftermarket fog lights to replace the reflectors for the Z33; especially since the Z34 adopted such styling
Old 02-16-2021, 11:26 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The early Z33 bumper design isn't very conducive to forward facing light. Those reflectors are angled to the sides, if you look at the IJDM and others for 03-05, they poke out of the bumper to face forward. They look wonky especially when off. The alternative is to place fog ligths in the radiator opening, but you could do that with any generic light at the expense of radiator intake real estate.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:46 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Not to argue semantics, but being a lighting nerd, I have to clarify some things. The sidemarkers are not fog lights. The clear white strip that you see on the Z34 front bumper is not a fog light. It's a sidemarker and a daytime running light. As Freise mentioned, you can get any generic fog light kit, LED light bar, etc. and mount it on the bumper and that would be a fog light. A true fog light beam pattern will be wide and not as focused as a driving beam. A DRL or illuminated side marker is not going to have a wide beam pattern like a fog light. You will not be able to install fog light in the OEM sidemarker opening on your Z33 front bumper.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:43 AM
Zhu Tou

^ Ah, I thought the Z34's front bumper lights were fog lights! Good to know; thanks!