Sponsored by:

Where to buy QX1 (pikes peak white) paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Where to buy QX1 (pikes peak white) paint

Hey everyone,

Wondering where I can buy the paint to DIY paint a few panels on the Z which is Pikes Peak White.

I have a compressor, a couple of paint guns, and can rent a bay from a pro that will help me do the painting, but I need the paint and ideally don't want the water based stuff...I want the real PPG paint that Nissan uses.

If I remember right, there's another company that also sells paint that is most likely PPG since the paint codes are the same in the two company's item numbers...but I can't remember who that other company is....I learned it a few months back in a forum and a pro was explaining that he's used both PPG and this other company and blah blah blah...they're the same or so close it's inconsequential.

I plan on painting the front and rear bumper covers, and my side skirts to freshen them up. Car is factory paint except for a rear which was painted really really well by someone in CA I believe. Don't know who did it...but it matches well.

All help appreciated as always, and yes I know having a pro do it will be best...but I want to learn and if I can't get it done myself then I might pay someone later, but I want to get a handle on painting and am confidant I can do it, and have had pros reassure me I can do it as well...I know the steps and have studied a lot, and helped paint a car years ago, but for now I'm stuck on buying the paint for the best price.

Thanks sincerely,

Saved
Old 08-04-2019, 08:57 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

IIRC PPG Shopline is the solvent based paint, however, I believe they have been fazing out all the solvent based paint the last few years. I used to paint my own parts and own several paint guns as well but don't really care to smell that stuff anymore. I used to buy all my supplies from local suppliers, search "automotive body shop supply" and see what comes up near your area.
The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (08-04-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 04:19 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

the "pro" should be able to point you in the right direction as far as where to source the stuff, no?
Old 08-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Zoom750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the DIYers, I have heard that automotive touchup works well. Seems a bit pricey though, for the gallon.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Old 08-07-2019, 08:06 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by jv350z
the "pro" should be able to point you in the right direction as far as where to source the stuff, no?
The pro is one person with a bank of data in his brain...other brains have different databases of different options...always good to get as much info as possible before buying has been my experience. So I ask the very helpful brains of this forum to steer me to things I or others wouldn't have thought of.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:08 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
IIRC PPG Shopline is the solvent based paint, however, I believe they have been fazing out all the solvent based paint the last few years. I used to paint my own parts and own several paint guns as well but don't really care to smell that stuff anymore. I used to buy all my supplies from local suppliers, search "automotive body shop supply" and see what comes up near your area.
Appreciate the great reply, thanks sincerely. I remembered something was up regarding PPG...I think that was it...doing away with solvent based paint...prettttyy sure there's another company that took over the solvent line as I think out loud.

The main shop in my town that used to carry PPG has converted to water based only...I had called them a few months ago. I'll try some other shops though, and thanks again.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by Zoom750
For the DIYers, I have heard that automotive touchup works well. Seems a bit pricey though, for the gallon.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Thanks Zoom750...I should've fallen in love with bowling or dirt...anything that isn't so expensive all the time.... but bowling can't take you for a nighttime cruise through the canyons...so I guess I'm stuck with expensive.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,300 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I used this kit and it was an 8 out 10 color match to my pikes peak white qx1 (is pikes peak white the same as glacial white?) and I was overall pretty happy with it. I bought about 150% of what I thought I needed and I would suggest the same if you use aerosol. It was pretty easy to use and straight forward although I had a guy that has paint/bodywork experience. I sprayed in a vented spray booth with well prep'd surfaces.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-Up-Cu...kAAOSwvUlWtXqJ

I'll upload some pictures for reference.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:51 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by bealljk
I used this kit and it was an 8 out 10 color match to my pikes peak white qx1 (is pikes peak white the same as glacial white?) and I was overall pretty happy with it. I bought about 150% of what I thought I needed and I would suggest the same if you use aerosol. It was pretty easy to use and straight forward although I had a guy that has paint/bodywork experience. I sprayed in a vented spray booth with well prep'd surfaces.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Touch-Up-Cu...kAAOSwvUlWtXqJ

I'll upload some pictures for reference.

Man you are my newest favorite forum member...THANK YOU...sincerely....

How many cans do you think I'd need to paint a front bumper cover? Any chance there'd be enough left over to do two side skirts?

Can't wait to see the pics...really want to get this front end project behind me but done beautifully.

Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:23 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
Man you are my newest favorite forum member...THANK YOU...sincerely....

How many cans do you think I'd need to paint a front bumper cover? Any chance there'd be enough left over to do two side skirts?

Can't wait to see the pics...really want to get this front end project behind me but done beautifully.

Thanks again!
you got it - we're all buds around here!

I emailed / contacted that seller and ordered 4 sets of base/pearl/clear and he had them available just not listed. I did a CF hatch (that completely **** the bed on me) and a front bumper with the 4 sets and I laid it on pretty hard and I had extra. I would think if you ordered 3 sets you'd be fine. You may be able to get away with 2 sets.

I also bought a few cans of the QX1 variant from the local autoparts store almost as a pre-base. So I had a 'close enough' white staring point rather than a raw black/dark starting point before I used the 3-coat stuff.

Last edited by bealljk; 08-08-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Hope this helps Saved ... note that I have the OEM clear bra on and it makes the paint mis-match that much more

Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 PM
savedbygrace

Hey thanks again with two exclamation points this time ! !

I'm guessing a little of course, but without the clear bra on I think the paint kit would be a close enough match for my daily driver....can always have it professionally sprayed after I win a few car shows for most shades of white on one vehicle. Yours does look good though, and over here the Z looks nice too, I'm pretty confident I can get it looking pretty decent but certainly not as nice as a skilled and experienced professional.

Quick question...do you know of any vendor on eBay or anywhere else that would paint match to something like the fuel door if I mailed it to them? I'm no professional painter so I'm not aware of all the "can also do this" options available from paint shops or painters when it comes to customer requests.

Thanks bud, you've made me wiser. So now I am beer. (sorry...)

Saved
Old 08-11-2019, 08:19 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
Hey thanks again with two exclamation points this time ! !

I'm guessing a little of course, but without the clear bra on I think the paint kit would be a close enough match for my daily driver....can always have it professionally sprayed after I win a few car shows for most shades of white on one vehicle. Yours does look good though, and over here the Z looks nice too, I'm pretty confident I can get it looking pretty decent but certainly not as nice as a skilled and experienced professional.

Quick question...do you know of any vendor on eBay or anywhere else that would paint match to something like the fuel door if I mailed it to them? I'm no professional painter so I'm not aware of all the "can also do this" options available from paint shops or painters when it comes to customer requests.

Thanks bud, you've made me wiser. So now I am beer. (sorry...)

Saved
Thanks! For a $40 DIY it could be worse. You get right up on it and you can see a slight difference. I dont know if the rattle-can'd portions would match a little better if exposed to sun for a few months??

I dont know of any vendors that would color match like that but it doesnt hurt to shoot them a message and ask(let the thread know because I would do that next time. They may? They likely have the equipment to do so and if I remember right he only had one set of paint and he mixed the two additional sets I needed for me.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:24 AM
savedbygrace

How was it a $40 DIY? I was loving you until the confusion....the paint kit you linked me to is $80 a set and you ordered three or four sets I think?

I need a DIY on a better brain.

Saved
Old 08-15-2019, 04:38 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Oppppppsssss .... yea, it’s was $80! Not $40
Old 08-15-2019, 11:41 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by bealljk
Oppppppsssss .... yea, it’s was $80! Not $40
Don't brain like I brain man...life is so much harder on my brain.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:02 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

All those fumes!