Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me (2005 Nissan 350z) Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 06:43 AM
KBoltz

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Seems really WEIRD that there were ZERO posts about your car, Jim!!!

I've used Energy Suspension bushings in the past with zero issues.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Jim Stephens

Received 444 Likes on 294 Posts

KBoltz, good to hear on the Energy bushings. Figured my local Z shop would not steer me wrong on that. Thanks. Get the feeling not many people are coming to the forum here and those that do are knowledgeable on the car and are just reading along as I work my way through it.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 01-04-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:22 AM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Stephens
KBoltz, good to hear on the Energy bushings. Figured my local Z shop would not steer me wrong on that. Thanks. Get the feeling not many people are coming to the forum here and those that do are knowledgeable on the car and are just reading along as I work my way through it.
Indeed. The ES bushings are really good for most captured locations on the car like the LCA, or compression on an non-slammed car. I am betting these are what were bad and got replaced. There are a few spots where the whiteline is preferred, such as the strut/damper mounts, rear camber arm, and rear traction arm. I have used ES bushing for 80k miles in a ton of spots on my car and have had zero issues. ES is also super easy to install compared to any of the press in bushings.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Stephens (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Jim Stephens

Originally Posted by GreyZ
Indeed. The ES bushings are really good for most captured locations on the car like the LCA, or compression on an non-slammed car. I am betting these are what were bad and got replaced. There are a few spots where the whiteline is preferred, such as the strut/damper mounts, rear camber arm, and rear traction arm. I have used ES bushing for 80k miles in a ton of spots on my car and have had zero issues. ES is also super easy to install compared to any of the press in bushings.
Yep, they are doing the Lower Control Arm bushings.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Jim Stephens

Went out to check on the car. Coming along. The high flow cats are installed. Got the new bushings on the lower control arms. Still going to work on the lower piping for the supercharger to get it moved up higher into the car. Notice how clean the underside of the car is. Makes working on it a joy. They are having a meet today at the store. Lots of nice cars already there.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 01-17-2021 at 06:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Stephens:
KBoltz (01-12-2021), rustyschopshop (01-09-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 06:05 AM
Jim Stephens

For those that are following the thread and have offered help along the way a profound THANK YOU. This update is on the first post for people just passing by, but thought I would post it here so it is not missed by those who follow the thread. My car has been in the the shop a while for the tune and stuff listed most recently, but I told them to take their time with it as I am not in a rush. Should be coming back home this week and I will update the results.

Cliff Notes: 1/16/2021 1 year, 4 months summary update for those who do not want to read through this novel. Thought I would just list everything done to the car so far. Not in perfect order and summarized in some areas(lot of minor parts). A lot of minor work as well along the way. Smaller bits and pieces not listed off. Ironically, the car has had really zero major mechanical issues. Engine and Transmission have been solid. 54k miles on it at this point and it arrived to me mechanically completely stock with the exception of a loud exhaust. Just me "improving" it. All it "needed" when I bought it was New Valve Covers, Diff Bushing, Tires. Of course, I needed to replace some missing interior trim pieces.

1. New Michelin Super Sports 245/19's front, 275's rear
2. New Nismo S tune Sport Exhaust
2. New Rear Diff. Bushing
3. Added Z1 Bushing Inserts to Sub Frame
4. Z1 Differential upgrade kit (New Cover and diff fluid)
5. Z1 Master Cylinder Brake Brace
6. Airbag re-install (Side and Front passenger), Steering Wheel (Took out Momo, and back to OEM) Trying to ensure my 16 year old has good odds should the worst happen.
7. Airbag computer replacement. Finally got that airbag light to go out with this one.
8 Driver side headlight and light bulb replacement. Fogged out. Replaced missing Fender liner to ensure it stays fixed.
9. Interior Trim pieces replaced used (Passenger lower side, various pieces, trunk etc.) The previous owner was thinking he was going to track it, but never got it there, thank goodness he did not touch any of the mechanical's at all)
10. Brand New Center Waterfall Interior Trim and Door switch panels. Just particular and wanted it perfect in those areas.
11. New Bilstien Shocks, Used Nismo springs, all new rubber. Wanted to keep original ride height with better suspension.
11.5 Used Brembo Brake Calipers, New Z1 Rotors, Stoptech Pads, Stainless Steel lines, Motul Fluid The brembo's are sooo much better than OEM on this year model.
12. New Pioneer Radio and 4 speakers (Pioneer NEX radio, and component front speakers(separate tweeter). Now has all the latest features for iphone/other. Also put in Dynomat during install.
13. Sound proofing in rear and speaker areas. Dynomat products only.
14. New MortorDyne Y pipe (Better air flow and sound. I was slowly upgrading the exhaust for the supercharger install)
15. New Complete Gasket replacement, OEM Valve Covers, Plugs (actually replaced the plugs twice as I went to colder plug later for the supercharger
16. New AEM High Flow Cats Recommended as I went in for my first supercharger tune. Will see how loud this is. I am keeping the OEM cats for awhile and also can add a resonater to the Motordyne y-pipe if I want to quiet it back down a bit.
17. Used Vortech Supercharger(New External Pulleys and Gears), New Intercooler. Nice V2 oil cooled version. Cracked it open to find pristine internals.
18. New CSF Radiator Keeping it cool.
19. New 34 Row Oil Cooler (Setrab) Keeping it cool
20. UpRev and Arc Software Install and Tune for E85 and Premium. Plan to mostly run E85 as there is a pump 1.5 miles from my house. Will run fine on Premium though.
21. New Innovate ECF-1 Multi-function Gauge (AFR, Fuel Type, Fuel Pressure..), Oil Temp Gauge
22. New 750cc Deatschwerks VQ Drop In Injectors
23. New Oil Pan Spacer Put this in primarily to make it easier to run lines for Supercharger oil cooling
24. All new silicon hoses in most places. Just replaced them when I could and was in the neighbor hood engine wise.
25. New Carbon Fiber Cover Bling
25. Carbon Fiber oil and battery cover More Bling
26. New Cusco Strut Brace Bling
27. All new belts, gaskets, fluids everywhere work was done.
28. New Front Sway Bar, Hotchkis Bar, SPL Links. New rear OEM links This front Sway bar really made a difference in the feel of the car. Stays flat with less roll.
29. 2nd set of wheels. OEM 18" Rays (light ones) with Federal Tires for Autocross Did this to stay in certain class and run faster times. May sell them now that I have so many mods.
30. New lower control Arm bushings and ball joints. Will comment on the "feel" of this when I get the car back. Certainly, at the least, should quiet down my creaky suspension.
31. New leather seat material (Black and yellow) (purchased, not installed yet, will be done professionally.) Pretty cool, went a little bold with the yellow perforated leather on the inserts. Should look great.
32. New Window Tint (Ceramic Tint) The old ting was super dark, kinda purplish, and frankly cheap quality. Put in quality tint. Actually, did this early in the project as it bugged me and was illegal as well.
33. New hood supports Get that crappy open hood support bar out of the way
34. New Carbon Fiber latch cover Bling Covers that opening right in front of the radiator.
35. New Stainless Steel Radiator overflow (not installed yet) Bling
36. New AEM 340lph fuel pump Installed so I can take advantage of E85 and larger injectors. More flow please.
37. New undershroud. The other one was just worn out. Also, clockspring replace, twice. One non-oem and then OEM to get it permanently fixed.
38. Last major thing I may do is trade out for some black or bronze colored new wheels. The Volks are nice, but are as old as the car. My Z service guy liked them because they are period correct, which is true. I really do like them, but I think a bronze(like 400z or dark grey/black, might really make the car pop.

I am getting a conservative tune on the engine for the supercharger install as I want more HP, but not going for braggin' rights. Once I get the car back from the tune I will update it. If something goes wrong with the engine along the way, probably going to put a built motor in it. If everything goes well, will just be driving and maintaining it for years to come I hope.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 01-17-2021 at 06:32 AM.
rustyschopshop (01-22-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 11:50 AM
Jim Stephens

Finally got the car sorted out and getting back Dyno run results on it. Nothing more fun than getting a video like this on Friday. They are not ready for me yet as the want to street test it before they turn it over to me.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
QCHN3356.MOV (3.47 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 01-29-2021 at 11:57 AM.
GreyZ (02-01-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 11:54 AM
Jim Stephens

Premium Gas. The attachment below is E85. Kinda hard to read, but a bit over 400hp. That is what I plan to mostly run.

Attached Thumbnails New to me (2005 Nissan 350z)  Project Car-img_7081.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
XUYV0321.MOV (671.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 01-29-2021 at 11:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Stephens:
GreyZ (02-01-2021), KBoltz (02-08-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 05:33 AM
Jim Stephens

Added some Engine dress up parts. I really did not like the yellow plastic radiator overflow jug. Car continues to run great with no issues at all. l Expected a few "tuning" issues, but so far, so good. Next project is to install the leather seats, but too damn cold to deal with that right now. I am really enjoying being able to keep an eye on the oil temps and various fuel information. I had my TPMS working perfectly, only getting readings on the front tires right now. Wonder if the Dyno run had something to do with the rears. I will need to reset that when it warms up and see if I can get going again. The arctic blast arrives Sunday evening. Looking out my window it is dry and 34 degrees. Supposed to warm up to 41 today, so about to head out and get some drive time in before the big freeze.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 02-13-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:59 AM
Jim Stephens

The journey continues, although the pace has slowed down. I got the new leather seats installed at a local upholstery shop. Perforated in the sitting area so it breathes and some some yellow stitching. Looking at new wheels and for the car. After that, maybe some adjustable suspension upgrades. The car continues to absolutely be rock solid reliable and at 400hp with E85 being run all the time now. Might take it in for the next oil change, just to have the shop go over their work one more time to have them just check out the tune etc.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 03-20-2021 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:41 AM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

Who did your seats? They look really good. Probably the best reskin job I have seen. I may need to make the drive to Houston for that.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:59 AM
Jim Stephens

I bought the leather seats from leatherseats.com and they were installed by Cy-Fair Upholstery ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cy-Fa...6802609606256/ ) Dane over at SZRpro.com who did my tune recommended them to me. They were great guys to work with and had a lot of very cool projects going on from boats to motorcycles. I did not ask them, but I am pretty certain they are capable of making seats from scratch although I have no ideal what the price difference would be. Brought the seats and stick shifter over to them on Monday, they had it done by Wednesday $385 not including tax. Very busy place kind of tucked away on a side street.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:26 PM
The_Laughing_Man

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where did you buy your floor mats? When I got mine I was surprised and a little disappointed about the black "Z" logo instead of the original silver one that matches the rest of the car.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:53 AM
Jim Stephens

https://conceptzperformance.com/niss...bk_p_12471.php

The floor mats. Bought some cheaper ones first and was disappointed with the quality. These are nice.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 03-24-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:37 PM
The_Laughing_Man

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I have the same ones. They're nice and OEM and all but still wish it had the original silver "Z"
Jim Stephens (03-26-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 06:01 AM
Jim Stephens

I completely understand that! I have tried to keep that general OEM look on the interior, but could not resist the leather seats and I have ordered a freshly wrapped leather OEM steering wheel.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Jim Stephens

Thought I would update this thread with the latest stuff. Well, I had a radiator hose fail on me. Sometimes OEM is the way to go. Look at the nick in my nice too FLEXIBLE radiator hose that was flexing right into the air conditioner pulley just enough that after 8 months it failed. Notice how heavy duty and rigid the OEM hose is to prevent that from happening! I also got my Ray Volks GT-C wheels refinished in a darker metallic gray with the clear powder coated and baked on. Really makes the wheels look brand new. I was blown away with how well they came out. New center caps are on the way. I even found the Ray decals to put back on the wheels. I shopped for new wheels for almost a month, but could not find much anything on the market and available in a grey color that was not a rep. Also, while I was waiting for the dealership to get my radiator hose, I put in brand new carpeting and sound deadening material as well. There is complete dynopad and dynomat under that picture with the jute. Also doubled up some dynopad along the transmission tunnel.Threw in a picture of the old carpeting backing where they attached small pieces of sound deadener here and there. Car is all back together as of yesterday and back on the road again. I got a new dead pedal and two new pieces of trim that go along the bottom of the door two install when I fee like it.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 04-09-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:13 AM
Jim Stephens

Here are a few more pics, one a before on the wheels..no more chrome.

KBoltz (04-14-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:14 AM
Jim Stephens

I have a few more things on the way. I have an OEM leather wrapped steering wheel that is on it's way here soon and I have also decided to go with some custom headlights which I do not have an ETA on yet, but some time in the next month or so. Otherwise, the car is running great and I am getting it out on the weekends and I occasionally go take it to get a coffee and a very short drive during lunch to get out of the house for a bit now and then. First time I really noticed that dent(see pic) on the front the previous owner did because of the shadows. Might considering upgrading the front bumper somewhere down the line. I like the one that looks like the 370z, but fits on the 350. Also still like the Nismo ones as well. Had a great time going to a car show this weekend and what was probably the last of the nice cool weather in Texas. Just went by the 57k mile mark on her. I only occasionally see a 350z around this area. Even the 370's are pretty rare.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 04-27-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:32 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

bad thing about the nismo front end, i feel you need to do the entire kit for it to look complete

maybe the blitz or vertex. vertex will give you more air flow
Jim Stephens (04-27-2021)

Quick Reply: New to me (2005 Nissan 350z) Project Car