Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Thoughts on placing additional gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004 | 06:19 AM
mcduck

Default Thoughts on placing additional gauges

Trying to figure out where to put my extra gauges (boost, EGT, and maybe on other). I definitely don't want an A-Pillar pod, but they do need to be visible.

I've seen...

A-Pillar - not considering by my personal taste
in console box - not visibile
In stock gauge pod - requires removal/relocation of factory gauges

I really don't like any of those options. I have three other spots I'm considering, but wanted to hear if anyone else had ideas on where to put them.
Old 06-28-2004 | 06:24 AM
teh215

Didn't Jeff@Perfomance mention a while back that they were going to be getting a pod setup that would replace the turn signal housing on the steering column with a piece that had 2 gauge cups on top. That may be a idea. HTH
Old 06-28-2004 | 06:48 AM
2003z

Andy, if you decide to go with option 3, look into spa gauges. They are digital and have 2 readings per gauge. You could get a water temp/oil pressure to replace the 2 stock ones and then a boost/egt for the other hole, if you only want to add 2 gauges.

Another option I have seen is someone put 1 gauge in the door vent.
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on placing additional gauges-spa-gauges.jpg  
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:00 AM
toykilla

i had the thought of making a custom gauge pod on the roof liner, replacing the worthless sunglasses holder.
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:07 AM
KShep

Cheston put one in his door A/C vent as 2003z said, and someone put two 52mm gauges below the A/C controls. Look in Resources, DIY, "How to build a kick a$$ gauge pod", I think the pic is in that thread. I would have put mine there, but the boot for the automatic doesn't leave as much room as the manual boot.
If you only need two that are visible, that might be a good option.
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:28 AM
KShep

Default gauges below A/C thread

Above thread incorrect, here is a link:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=2

toykilla...If you could make a custom overhead mount for the e-manage, that would be of some interest to me. I have my turbo-timer mounted in the sunglass holder but could easily reloacte it. Otherwise I may have to lose the stock nav and install the e-mange there. Just a thought...
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:53 AM
toykilla

Default Re: gauges below A/C thread

Originally posted by KShep
Above thread incorrect, here is a link:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=2

toykilla...If you could make a custom overhead mount for the e-manage, that would be of some interest to me. I have my turbo-timer mounted in the sunglass holder but could easily reloacte it. Otherwise I may have to lose the stock nav and install the e-mange there. Just a thought...
the emanage is what gave me the overhead idea. If i went with the greddy, i would fiberglass the emanage in the overhead sunglasses compartment. It would be angled down towards the driver so it can easily be viewed.

I do not have an emanage to work with though. If I can get the dimensions and mounting method of it, I may be able to work on this.
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:55 AM
mcduck

That is so freaky... you guys have hit on almost every option we discussed for my car...

2003... I do like those spa gauges. That may be a good option. Does that setup affect the info center "gauge" closest to the steering wheel? (BTW, what's up with that avatar...)

toykilla... We had looked at that exact same spot, too. Thinking some small face gauges set in the recess angled toward the driver. Biggest issue would be wiring and fabricating a custom mount to replace the useless factory piece.

Kshep... we talked about this and thought one step further. We actually have talked about relocating the climate controls to inside the console box and using those 3 holes for gauges.

The only option no one has brought up that we considered was to build an additional enclosure just to the left of the stereo/nav box (using material from an extra Z console) and housing the gauges there between the console and the driver's right leg. Still very visible and tucked out of the way where most won't notice them.

Of all these, I'm leaning toward the spa gauges or the reconstruction of the overhead box.

Any other ideas or thoughts???
Old 06-28-2004 | 07:58 AM
toykilla

the overhead box is your best bet.. fiberglassing the gauges in wouldnt be that difficult..
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:07 AM
KShep

The OEM three gauge cluster is all one piece, so YES, it would affect the "info" gauge. ACP did a write up on this when he installed his Defi link gauges there.

Toykilla...I'll get you the dimensions and any other info you need on the e-manage. I'm at work and my car is at home right now though. Just let me know specifics and I'll research.
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:10 AM
toykilla

KShep, some pictures of the back side of the emanage and any mounting hardware would help.. I can make a rough prototype and we can go from there. If it works out, and there is enough interest, I might look into getting this piece made in quantity.
Old 06-28-2004 | 08:35 AM
KShep

I'll take some pics and gather info this evening.
Old 06-28-2004 | 09:06 AM
zachcrosen

Ive seen several cars with the gauges in the nav door. Look good, but I prefer the gauges in the Atuometer gauge pod.
Old 06-28-2004 | 09:54 AM
mcduck

zach... I have the factory Nav, so that area is not an option for me.

If I can't do the gauge cluster, it looks like my best options will be either overhead replacing the useless "sunglasses box" or near/in place of the climate controls. Anyone got a quick guess how big around the climate control mounts are if you remove the control and the silver ring? (Yeah, I could measure them myself, but I'm at work and the car's at home right now.)
Old 06-28-2004 | 10:14 AM
KShep

From the link posted above it looks like at least two 52mm gauges would fit in the climate control positions. If the trim ring on the gauge is thinner, might get three, just look a little "cramped". If those are 60mm gauges ( don't know for sure), then three 52's should be no problem.
Old 06-28-2004 | 11:21 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I've seen a setup somewhere, I can't remember who's it was, but they did two on top of the left and right stock gauges or to the right and left of them with the black plastic that blended right in with the rest of the dash. Having the sunglass holder open and have two gauges angled toward you and one in the air vent in the door might be a good idea too.
Old 06-28-2004 | 11:24 AM
toykilla

I am not talking about the sunglass holder being open, i am talking about a replacement for the entire piece.